Quote Originally Posted by DeacDoug View Post
Even as a relative liberal, I do not believe the feds should be getting into the authentication business. I would rather have them trace the origin of the items deemed dubious. Basically, forging "gamers" is a white collar or perhaps blue collar crime for which enforcement will be lacking and penalties not severe. See Wall Street!
Sports memorabilia is big-time business, and there's plenty of fakes, forgeries, and criminal activity going on, as there often is with that much money involved. The Feds apparently recognize this and are investigating, as they would any other illegal activity. They have to start somewhere. I always though one of the many things liberals and conservatives agreed on was the need for some government, and that laws and law enforcement was a necessary and just function of government.

Saying it's white or blue collar, or comparing it to something bigger, like Wall Street, is like saying they shouldn't worry about investigating theft, because murder is so much worse.

One of the huge contributions of this forum is that it has exposed probably hundreds of highly questionable items, but us pointing them out isn't going to do anything to protect people who aren't aware of the forum. I'm glad law enforcement is taking the problem seriously. We can call bogus items to each others' attention, but they can actually DO something about it.