Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: GFC: 1984 Michael Jordan's "first" jersey

nba.com is wrong. In the pre-season, he wore the red and white version as seen in Grey Flannel's style-match. He also wore the red and white version in the first few regular season games of the 84-85 season.

warren, from sports illustrated:

"..Jordan wore a pair of the black-background, red-swooshed Nikes during the preseason"

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...19/4/index.htm

apparently the first regular season game that jordan wore the air jordan I's was on november 17, 1984 vs philadelphia. the 11th total game of jordan's career.

in 1984-85, how many preseason games did the bulls play? were they all on the road? did jordan wear the home uni in any of them? i'm curious how you know that jordan didn't wear the AJ1's in the preseason?

rudy.

Quote Originally Posted by kingjammy24 View Post
    warren, from sports illustrated:

"..Jordan wore a pair of the black-background, red-swooshed Nikes during the preseason"

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...19/4/index.htm

apparently the first regular season game that jordan wore the air jordan I's was on november 17, 1984 vs philadelphia. the 11th total game of jordan's career.

in 1984-85, how many preseason games did the bulls play? were they all on the road? did jordan wear the home uni in any of them? i'm curious how you know that jordan didn't wear the AJ1's in the preseason?

rudy.
    I stand corrected. My 25-year-old memory is sketchy.
    However, there are 2 versions of the Air Jordan I. One black and red, one black, red and white.
    Jordan did wear those red and white Nikes (in Grey Flannel photo...NOT Air Jordans) in some preseason games and in a few of the first few regular season games. I guess the NBA ruled against the black and red only versions in the preseason. My memory is vague.

So, is the Grey Flannel Jordan from the preseason or regular season? It is not from his very first regular season game, but it does match to the thin numeral font.
    Does anyone have photos of Jordan wearing the black and red only Jordan I in game-play?

I guess the NBA ruled against the black and red only versions in the preseason.
    Find out when that Letterman appearance was, where MJ & Dave were talking about the shoes that he wasn't allowed to wear.

I won't post Dave's punchline.

Quote Originally Posted by otismalibu View Post
    Find out when that Letterman appearance was, where MJ & Dave were talking about the shoes that he wasn't allowed to wear.

I won't post Dave's punchline.
    Already searched youtube...it ain't there. That has to be scripted. I don't think even Letterman is that clever off-the-cuff.

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post
    However, there are 2 versions of the Air Jordan I. One black and red, one black, red and white.
    don't forget these:

So, is the Grey Flannel Jordan from the preseason or regular season?
    we know for a fact that jordan played in his first home and first road games with properly-fonted jerseys. i'm assuming GFC's "first jersey" assertion is based on the fact that it has a name/number change. seems to me that would've most likely occurred in the preseason. again, jordan entered the 1984-85 regular season with properly-fonted jerseys. what would've been the need, later the season, to cobble together an incorrect jersey for him?

..but it does match to the thin numeral font.
    but where's that pic from? sure would be nice to know. its a very unique jersey due to that font and i have scoured tons of images and video from the 1984-85 season and every single image and video i've seen has shown jordan wearing properly-fonted jerseys. it's almost as if that jersey made an appearance in the preseason and never again.

Does anyone have photos of Jordan wearing the black and red only Jordan I in game-play?
    first photo is the '84 all star game. not sure what the second photo is from.

rudy.

f
    irst photo is the '84 all star game. not sure what the second photo is from.
    That's the 85 AS game (84-85 season), MJ's first.

I think that 2nd pic is also from that same dunk contest. I had an old Wilson poster that featured that same pic, but a wider shot.

don't forget these:
    I am not sure if he ever wore those with the black toe in a game. But, I am unsure about many things. They are the holy grail of retail original AJI.

but where's that pic from? sure would be nice to know. its a very unique jersey due to that font and i have scoured tons of images and video from the 1984-85 season and every single image and video i've seen has shown jordan wearing properly-fonted jerseys. it's almost as if that jersey made an appearance in the preseason and never again.
    I also would like to know...

first photo is the '84 all star game. not sure what the second photo is from.

rudy.
    Group photo are participants from the '85 Dunk Contest. From 84-85, played in Feb. 85 in Indy.

In order from left to right:
    Drexler
    Woolridge
    MJ
    not sure? some scrub from Philly
    Terrance Stansbury
    'Nique
    Larry Nance
    Dr. Dunkenstein

The small photo of MJ is from the same dunk contest.

I found another photo of MJ wearing this style font....unfortunatley don't know when/where taken....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

in the GFC pic he isn't wearing a knee brace. in beantown's pic he is. jordan can be seen wearing a knee brace on his left knee back in his UNC days. the only pics i can find of him not wearing one in 1984 is at the all-star game. if he wore one since UNC, it makes me wonder why he's not wearing on in the GFC pic. i checked the video of his NBA debut and he wore one in his first NBA game.

anyway, i came across this quote from jordan from a nov 1986 issue of SI. he's talking about his shorts:

"Last year they were 36's," he says. "This year they're 34's that are two inches longer than normal."

rudy.