Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Re: GFC: 1984 Michael Jordan's "first" jersey

Let me restate what I just said earlier...for the first several games, (I have it at home somewhere documenting oct/nov. when he was wearing the Nike Air Ships...which is a style like the Air Forces etc... those are what you see during the first few games...white/white air ships/ white red air ships...now I have one rare image of MJ wearing that specific jersey and the black/red AIR ships... the prototype red/black/white AJ Is ...were from part of Nov on...and for a few games I think he switched back and forth..from AJ I to Ships etc... Mike can clarify it..I have the info at home somewhere when I was doing the research at the time..

what would be the difference in value if the shirt had only been used in the preseason vs if it had been used in the preseason AND the regular season?
    I'll take Less Value for $200, Alex.

Off the top of my head, I'd probably rank NBA jerseys as:
    1) reg.season/playoff jersey
    2) AS game jersey
    3) pre-season jersey

If I was researching this item, I'd first be looking for the Bulls pre-season schedule that season. Then make a list of the road cities and start doing newspaper research. You can find some poor quality page scans online for free. You can also buy prints from newspapers. I've done it more than once. Rare photos delivered to your door.

Quote Originally Posted by otismalibu View Post
    I'll take Less Value for $200, Alex.
    yes but by how much? how much less for a preseason only than for a preseason AND regular season? personally, i think at least 40% less. assuming that both would be his "first issued" jersey (whatever that means). saying that in one scenario this shirt was used only in the preseason and in another scenario it was used in the preseason AND regular season. i'm thinking 40-50% price difference between the two.

If I was researching this item, I'd first be looking for the Bulls pre-season schedule that season. Then make a list of the road cities and start doing newspaper research. You can find some poor quality page scans online for free.
    come on man. i'm no amateur. tried it, tried it, tried it. zip, zilch. i can't even find any 2-word mention anywhere of the bulls 1984-85 preseason except the SI and nba.com blurbs about him wearing air jordans in the preseason.

the other thing i am interested in is how late in the season did jordan wear the generic white nikes ("air ships")? can't find anything on that either. i did find him wearing them as late as dec 4. meaning he wore the generic white nikes after already wearing the air jordans. i think if you find him wearing air jordans it doesn't necessarily mean its late in the season and if you find him wearing the "air ships" it doesn't necessarily mean it's "very early" in the season as GFC implies.

rudy.

[insert: newspaper article i failed to find]
    "I didn't think anyone was capable of finding what Greg Faragher has found," marveled Celtics ace Larry Bird. "He is the most exciting, awesome poster on GUU today. I think it's just God disguised as Greg Faragher."

rudy.

what did you do..go to google, type in "1984 bulls preseason" and up those popped? i should've tried that.

ok so from that article..they had a 7-game preseason and played road games before they played any home games. so if the jersey was worn in the preseason, it would've been worn prior to any home jerseys and thus would be the first game jersey worn by him (albeit in the preseason). now only if there were some pics. i'd lay my money down that pics of him in the preseason show the GFC jersey. i'd also lay my money down against anyone finding pics of him wearing the GFC jersey in the regular season. the road exhibition games seemed to occur in rinkydink stadiums. we need photographic evidence of rinkydink backgrounds.

rudy.

I found this pics on italian magazine dated jan 1985.....
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Seeing these seem to be at neutral sites, I don't know which team wore the road jerseys. I usually don't research scrub players, but...
    You should see the Doc info/pics I've got saved!