X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jppopma
    • Mar 2006

Re: All-Star Dealers reality show

Originally posted by both-teams-played-hard
    You make many valid points. Attempting to consign a forgery would still be fraud and not worth the effort. This show should make Grey Flannel's dealings transparent, and in the end help collectors and dealers alike.
    It's only fraud if you try to pass it off as real. Just sending it in can all be at face value. I'm sure it would end up on the cutting room floor anyway.

We can hope for the best.

Comment

• rose14
      • Dec 2005

This show just like Pawn Stars is totally scripted and the items are all set up. I would bet that Grey Flannel was the one that packed the Marino and Lott jerseys in a box to make it look like it was shipped to them.

Comment

• yanks12025
        • Jan 2006

So the showed tonight... What do you guys think?

Comment

• onlyalbert
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by yanks12025
          So the showed tonight... What do you guys think?
          They come across as very arrogant and obviously driven by money only. Why does every reality show today require 15 bleeps per half hour and the use of the word "friggen"?

Comment

• OaklandAsFan
            • Sep 2007

Originally posted by both-teams-played-hard
            I will watch every episode and the rerun the next day. These shows are gold. If you don't like them, just watch the scripted bullshit made in Hollywood.
            If you really believe that then I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. Most of these "unscripted" shows on TV are MORE scripted than the "scripted" shows.

Comment

• sylbry
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by onlyalbert
              They come across as very arrogant and obviously driven by money only. Why does every reality show today require 15 bleeps per half hour and the use of the word "friggen"?
              I was thinking the same thing. It was all about money. Can't imagine it will go over very well with consignors. He is making money because consignors allow him to. Without them Rich isn't making squat.

And you know that certain charm some people have? It is one of the reasons why Pawn Stars and American Pickers is a likeable show. Well the guys at Grey Flannel certainly don't have it.
              Wanted: Minnesota Twins throwback or special event jerseys.

Comment

• maverick14
                • Aug 2011

As has been said already--money driven all the way.
                Doubt this show lasts longer than a season, maybe 2.
                I'll still leave it on the DVR for when I take a study break for the simple fact I like seeing sports collectibles.
                -Randy
                rborrero14 at gmail.com

Comment

• AWA85
                  • Jan 2008

Although I have always enjoyed Grey Flannels auctions and have had great purchases there, this show turns me away from them. Tossing things around, calling items crap and talking about their commission may make for great television but turns me off as a collector.

Probably will be sucked in to watch because it of the game used items, but from a business standpoint and bidder my interest in Grey Flannel fades now.
                  Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.

Comment

• WadeInBmore
                    • Sep 2007

I watched the show for about 10 minutes or so...then I turned it. I really didn't enjoy it like I was hoping I would. The fiance was even willing to watch it!!!

For me perhaps part of the issue was that they were showing items that they had already sold via auction which took some of the fun out of it.

I don't know, perhaps I will give it another chance...but I'm really not expecting anything. Put it down as a dud for me right now.

wade

Comment

• Baseball83
                      • Feb 2008

I really liked the show! I was intrigued at the efforts made in authenicating the Roger Staubach jersey. This show clearly set out to demonstrate the process and did just that. As an avid collector I have been there looking for photo match and watched victories and failures like was seen in the show. There were great teaching points made like when we think we have "the jersey" only to find it may have been something else. I am left with a feeling of the excitement of collecting and the intricacies of the forensic process that we talk about every day. Great job Rich Russek. I need more of this show!

Anthony Macchiavelli, M.D.

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
                        • Nov 2005

I also enjoyed the show and the process in authenticating the Staubach jersey. Let's see: durene, fonts, photo-matches, and tagging? Yes, I'll be watching.
                        It's a business. Of course they want to make money for their consignors and themselves.
                        How often do you hear "durene" mentioned on a TV show?

Comment

• G1X
                          • Nov 2005

I really enjoyed the show. Yes, it is scripted and a bit overbearing at times, but if you paid close attention, there were some valuable nuggets being tossed out, especially by Nick Coppola. His comment about the validity of the lettered size tag on Russell jerseys and the misinformation floating around the hobby for years about lettered tagging was on the mark and literally priceless.

I am looking forward to the next episode.

Mark Hayne
                          Gridiron Exchange
                          gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for NFL/AFL durene jerseys, World Football League jerseys, Atlanta Falcons uniforms, and any Darren Lewis and Willie McGee game-used items.

Comment

• slab0meat
                            • May 2010

Not sure what exactly I was expecting, but I was looking forward to this, and didn't find it all that interesting. Not a big fan of the guys either.

Comment

• nickacs
                              • Apr 2009

Originally posted by G1X
                              His comment about the validity of the lettered size tag on Russell jerseys and the misinformation floating around the hobby for years about lettered tagging was on the mark and literally priceless.
                              I noticed that he had a piece of paper, I guess with the Russell tagging codes (ie. FY) and what they meant, month/year, of the jersey. Does anyone know where to get these codes too? I gotta assume with the internet, they are lurking somewhere?

Paul, I gotta assume you know with all your 49er's jersey collection!

Comment

• solarlottry
                                • Jan 2009

I watched the show and really enjoyed it!

Look at the show from the perspective of a potential consigner or even a buyer. Would you not want the auction house to get the most for the items you send in? The more money that GF makes, the more money the consigner makes! It is in the best interest of both parties to make the item as sellable as possible. I think the show revealed that GF does all it can to maximize their profit and in turn maximizing the profit of the seller/consigner.

As a buyer, I think that it showed that GF did the best they could to make sure the consigned items were authentic. Nick Coppola supposedly has the largest collection of GU football jerseys in the world! I was told that he has a GU jersey of every HOF player. His collection is astounding as is his knowledge of the hobby, the business and the jerseys themselves.

The question that arises then-why does GF have so many questionable items? One would think that with Coppola and the rest of the GF crew authenticating these items, that 99% would be authentic and as close to photo-matched as possible.

Every auction they have many of the major NFL stars, who played over the past 30 years. The problem I have is that most are not photo-matched, most do not have any team paperwork and many have "light use". One would think that, with all of their expertise in authentication, the jerseys would be better matched to specific games etc.

I do realize that it is not easy to match up many of the older NFL shirts but it can be done to some extent. A 1993 Rice for example probably can be narrowed down to a handful of games by watching all of the games that season where the team wore that specific style and font. Also any other of the shirts characteristics such as loose threads, signs of use etc can be matched to specific games. It is not easy to do this but if it was being done on a regular basis, I would be much more apt to purchase a high end 49er star GU jersey from them.

Many people state that paperwork means very little and in many cases I agree. But if you delve deeper into the history of the sale of some of these jerseys, then you will see that many were sold with some kind of team paperwork (49ers shirts at least were). I understand that paperwork can be switched, copied etc but the mere presence of team paperwork can help identify authentic from fake.

I think the show will do well and it was quite cool to see items that had been sold in previous auctions and how these items were authenticated. i will continue to watch just to see what GF has been getting in for upcoming sales!

Always buying 49ers gamers and ALL 1994 49ers GU items! Finders fees await!
                                Paul
                                garciajones@yahoo.com

The Wilson date code system started in 1988 with the first letter representing the year and the second letter the month. Thus:
                                A-1988
                                B-1989
                                C-1990
                                D-1991
                                E-1992
                                F-1993
                                G-1994
                                H-1995

For the months I will have to look it up as I go not remember off hand what month started with what letter. Will post it later tonight!

Comment

Working...