Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    Banned

Re: Altered Kobe Bryant Pro-Cut Jersey Being Advertised on eBay with D. C. Sports LOA as Game Used Rookie Jers

DC,, I can speak that I feel 100% confidence of the game used stuff you have provided for me over 20 years,, many photomatched.. I'm sure many of your customers aren't even followers of this sight... and even if they are they know the knowledge and insight you have and the stuff you get.. nobody can get. I would say 80%. probably higher, game used lakers stuff come from you and you only...over the past 2 decades. Don't worry about the "gotchas" cuz...BYT the "mistake happens" excuse will only get you a pass from them if its only from a specific company.... READ past posts as proof.

Re: Altered Kobe Bryant Pro-Cut Jersey Being Advertised on eBay with D. C. Sports LOA as Game Used Rookie Jers

Quote Originally Posted by jmeekins33 View Post
    I respectfully disagree.

I've done business with DC Sports before and I've found Dan to be a man with a lot of integrity. A mistake was made but I don't think it goes any deeper than that.
    You respectfully disagree about what? You respectfully disagree about where I may or may not buy a jersey from?

Quote Originally Posted by sportsnbikes View Post
    You respectfully disagree about what? Yourespectfully disagree about where I may or may not buy a jersey from?

No, I do not disagree with your hypothetical choice not to buy from DC Sports. I would think that most people would be able to understand the point I was trying to make, but let me clarify it for you.

While some people here may not want to do business with DC, I don't have any hesitation in doing so. I've had nothing but good experiences with them in the past and I have seen no evidence that this rookie jersey situation is anything more than a mistake.

The implication with a post like yours is that because of this situation DC Sports is not a trustworthy source for game worn Laker items. While you have every right to that opinion, I don't share it. If you have any further concerns related my post, please send me a pm so that the other members don't have any more of their time wasted.

Mr. Alpert,

I am new to the forum but not new to the hobby. I have read all of your threads regarding this matter and I appreciate all of the work that you have put into researching game used material, in particular this Kobe jersey. An item of this magnitude need to be traced as much as possible in order to verify its authenticity.

I have had many interactions/transactions with DC Sports and Dan. I also have the luxury of being a nearby resident and am able to conduct transactions with him in person. I can say for 1000% fact that ALL of DC items are legitimate. With that said I think you brought to light something that needs to be altered with Dan's COA's. If this is an item that comes directly from Dan (i.e. "his sources" then he should continue with the Certificate that he issues that states as such.

If, as in the instance of this Kobe jersey, this is an item that is being sent in for Dan to authenticate, his letters should read something to the effect that "in our opinion, we believe that this item is consistent with Lakers authentic game worn material from 20xx-20xx" or something to the effect. I agree with your comments regarding the letter about this Kobe jersey and the wording on the certificate.

As for the jersey being certified as game used, all I can offer to the board is that I have been in the presence of Dan when he has been sent jersey's to authentic from Wilt Chamberlain to Magic Johnson to Kobe Bryant. Even players like Mike Smreck to Mike Penberthy to Robert Sacre and Dan REJECTS items as much as he certifies them. In fact, Dan has tried to post signs or makers to look for on this board in order to help educate the collector on what to look for in order not to get duped. However, as in all ciricles of life, sometimes even the best get one pulled over on them. Case in point, Upper Deck has passed MANY, certified "Cut" signatures on their various cards through the years that did not pass secondary authenication services (i.e. PSA/DNA; JSA; etc.). It happens!! Dan didn't intentionally pass this jersey, all signs, in his estimation, pointed to a real, gamer. After you pointed out the timeline of it (thankfully) he posted a retraction and "decertified" the jersey.

My final comment is to you Mr. Alpert. Again, thank you for your time and diligence in bringing this, and others to light. I appreciate you upholding the integrity of the legitimate item. However, you have now turned this into a "which hunt" against Dan and DC Sports. I don't appreciate the turn this commentary has taken as Dan has been an long standing, certified, member of this forum and the foremost authority on Lakers gear. He's done nothing to help the buyer, colllector and your comments seem like someone who is rather jealous at this point. You caught an error, brought it to light and everyone has learned from it and hopefully corrections will be made to improve the process going forward. STOP WHILE YOU'RE AHEAD AND END THIS!!! DC has been able to provide a wealth of amazing items and knowledge to all of us - let's let him get back to what he does best!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JRock75 View Post
    Mr. Alpert,

I am new to the forum but not new to the hobby. I have read all of your threads regarding this matter and I appreciate all of the work that you have put into researching game used material, in particular this Kobe jersey. An item of this magnitude need to be traced as much as possible in order to verify its authenticity.

I have had many interactions/transactions with DC Sports and Dan. I also have the luxury of being a nearby resident and am able to conduct transactions with him in person. I can say for 1000% fact that ALL of DC items are legitimate. With that said I think you brought to light something that needs to be altered with Dan's COA's. If this is an item that comes directly from Dan (i.e. "his sources" then he should continue with the Certificate that he issues that states as such.

If, as in the instance of this Kobe jersey, this is an item that is being sent in for Dan to authenticate, his letters should read something to the effect that "in our opinion, we believe that this item is consistent with Lakers authentic game worn material from 20xx-20xx" or something to the effect. I agree with your comments regarding the letter about this Kobe jersey and the wording on the certificate.

As for the jersey being certified as game used, all I can offer to the board is that I have been in the presence of Dan when he has been sent jersey's to authentic from Wilt Chamberlain to Magic Johnson to Kobe Bryant. Even players like Mike Smreck to Mike Penberthy to Robert Sacre and Dan REJECTS items as much as he certifies them. In fact, Dan has tried to post signs or makers to look for on this board in order to help educate the collector on what to look for in order not to get duped. However, as in all ciricles of life, sometimes even the best get one pulled over on them. Case in point, Upper Deck has passed MANY, certified "Cut" signatures on their various cards through the years that did not pass secondary authenication services (i.e. PSA/DNA; JSA; etc.). It happens!! Dan didn't intentionally pass this jersey, all signs, in his estimation, pointed to a real, gamer. After you pointed out the timeline of it (thankfully) he posted a retraction and "decertified" the jersey.

My final comment is to you Mr. Alpert. Again, thank you for your time and diligence in bringing this, and others to light. I appreciate you upholding the integrity of the legitimate item. However, you have now turned this into a "which hunt" against Dan and DC Sports. I don't appreciate the turn this commentary has taken as Dan has been an long standing, certified, member of this forum and the foremost authority on Lakers gear. He's done nothing to help the buyer, colllector and your comments seem like someone who is rather jealous at this point. You caught an error, brought it to light and everyone has learned from it and hopefully corrections will be made to improve the process going forward. STOP WHILE YOU'RE AHEAD AND END THIS!!! DC has been able to provide a wealth of amazing items and knowledge to all of us - let's let him get back to what he does best!!
    Wow - Everyone who has bought from Dan has come to his defense today. Second fairly new person to use the term "Witch Hunt" today.

Dan has ignored the questions I have asked him, except he has said that it is not Mark or Ryan who are his amazing sources.

I will continue with this project, as this jersey is an example of Dan charging extra to authenticate an item that didn't come from his inside source and him trying to say it is an isolated case is very scary and puts doubt on any previous letters he has written.

He claims he has multiple sources for Kobe autographs, but he has a line of them that have failed authentication from the most trusted autograph authenticators in the business which leads us to believe Dan's source for Kobe autographs may be of the clubhouse variety of Kobe autographs.

Since Dan has sources within the Los Angeles Lakers organization that he tells us about, maybe it's time for someone to contact The Los Angeles Lakers to confirm that he is getting items right from under the team's nose and if they approve of this.

It is always those who have an inventory from an expert or 3rd party authenticator who wish to defend that person for having sources and being the best but I promise you, one day my concerns will be proven correct and I'll stand behind that statement as my time in this hobby doesn't lead me to make such a stink over something without more than just one man's word to have others defend himself instead of him answering the tough questions.

If I'm wrong - Dan should answer the tough questions about the one jersey in question. Ignoring the numerous questions leads us to doubt. He already made the statement that this was the beginning of him authentication 3rd party items which is false as he has written letter for auction houses for years for items they send in to him - Always with the same wording that it came from a mysterious team source.

Quote Originally Posted by trsent View Post
    He already made the statement that this was the beginning of him authentication 3rd party items which is false as he has written letter for auction houses for years for items they send in to him - Always with the same wording that it came from a mysterious team source.
    How do you know this? Which auction houses have sent items to him? How long have these auction houses used Dan? You've made an accusation. Where is your proof?

Joel,

I have been watching the thread and have not made a post here previously because I did not think any rules were violated and I thought it right to let the people involved post to clarify their involvement in the situation. However, I believe the last post you have made has gone over the line. Specifically, the forum rules state:

In instances where a forum member is identifying an item in the hobby they believe to have issues, the poster should clearly state their findings in the form of an opinion and provide adequate rationale for why they believe there is an issue. When possible, we recommend that the poster questioning an item attempt to contact the seller of the item and allow at least 24 hours for the seller to reply before posting. This will prevent postings that may be generated based on misunderstandings of an item. In addition, while this forum is designed to help educate collectors, we will not allow comments that accuse entities in the hobby of participating in any form of criminal wrong-doing. Any posts suggesting criminal wrong-doing should be brought to the attention of the moderators immediately.

Your post stated, "this jersey is an example of Dan charging extra to authenticate an item that didn't come from his inside source and him trying to say it is an isolated case is very scary and puts doubt on any previous letters he has written." In addition, you state, "He claims he has multiple sources for Kobe autographs, but he has a line of them that have failed authentication from the most trusted autograph authenticators in the business which leads us to believe Dan's source for Kobe autographs may be of the clubhouse variety of Kobe autographs."

If I understand correctly, Dan has asserted:

1) The amount he charged was for the authentication and the autograph. He has also stated that he will be refunding the authentication fee because he made a mistake on the authentication. Please let me know if I am reading his post incorrectly. If not, please substantiate your claim that he charged more for the authentication and how that puts doubt into any previous letters he has written; and

2) Dan has claimed his sources have access to Kobe Bryant to get the autographs. I honestly have no idea whether or not that is true. However, before you can implicitly state these autographs are of the "clubhouse variety," please provide some statement from the autograph experts you refer to in making that claim. If that is truly the case, I am sure the authenticators will provide you with some form of statement that the autographs are of the clubhouse variety.

Please note I have no dog in this race but you have asked someone to come on here and answer your questions which I believe he did. If you are going to make any further accusations that imply impropriety please provide the necessary proof other than your opinions that it "leads you to believe...'

Thank you in advance for your compliance with the forum rules.

-Chris
    Christopher Cavalier
    Consignment Director - Heritage Auctions

I for one appreciate Joel's efforts in getting to the bottom of this. Something doesn't quite add up.

Quote Originally Posted by slam View Post
    I for one appreciate Joel's efforts in getting to the bottom of this. Something doesn't quite add up.
    I also agree.

Banned

Obviously certain individuals love the "soap box".