Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 8 of 35 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Re: Show off your Pittsburgh Pirates items!

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    The two Chicago teams had no regular season wearers of #42 in 1997. Roger McDowell wore #42 in spring training with the White Sox, but was cut, and the Cub that had #42, coach Dan Radison, voluntarily gave it up in favor of #3.

Dave Miedema
    I'll bet there was a lot of pressure to switch numbers. Not sure I like the idea of all teams retiring #42. If so, why wasn't the honor extended to Clemente and #21?
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    I'll bet there was a lot of pressure to switch numbers. Not sure I like the idea of all teams retiring #42. If so, why wasn't the honor extended to Clemente and #21?
    Interesting argument, I read up on this and found the following information:

"Roberto Clemente was elected to the Hall of Fame posthumously in 1973, thus becoming the first Latin American to be selected and the only current Hall of Famer for whom the mandatory five-year waiting period has been waived since the wait was instituted in 1954. Clemente is also the first Hispanic player to win a World Series as a starter (1960), win a league MVP award (1966) and win a World Series MVP award (1971).
    Clemente's #21 remains active in Major League Baseball, and is worn by multiple players. Sammy Sosa wore #21 throughout his career as a tribute to his childhood hero
    .[61] The number is unofficially retired in the Puerto Rico Baseball League. While the topic of retiring #21 throughout Major League Baseball like Jackie Robinson's #42 has been broached, and supported by groups such as Hispanics Across America, Jackie Robinson's daughter disagrees, believing that Major League Baseball should honor him another way."

I actually found that last sentence disturbing, and bordering on petty. So it's OK for you father to have this great honor bestowed upon him, but not Roberto, who was every bit as significant to the Latin community? I don't know if I agree with her vague reason, either.

But, maybe it is better that players can honor Roberto by wearing his number as opposed to retiring it league wide.

Hi, I'm new here. I don't have any Pirate GU items but this is my favorite Pirate piece. I will be at PNC in two weeks for the first time. I haven't been to a game in Pittsburgh since 1985 or Cleveland since 1995. Games at Safeco have been excruciating to watch this year. I am certainly looking forward to seeing the Pirates and the Tribe.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
    Hi, I'm new here. I don't have any Pirate GU items but this is my favorite Pirate piece. I will be at PNC in two weeks for the first time. I haven't been to a game in Pittsburgh since 1985 or Cleveland since 1995. Games at Safeco have been excruciating to watch this year. I am certainly looking forward to seeing the Pirates and the Tribe.
    Welcome to the site! That is a great Roberto signed piece you have there. I myself have been to Safeco twice this year, and as bad it was, it doesn't compare to the cliff the Pirates have driven off since last weekend .

Wow, you went to your Pirate game nearly when I saw my first! I never made it out to PNC Park, either, and kind of regret not doing so now that I am on the west coast again. Enjoy your trip and make sure to share some pictures!

Banned

Question Re: Show off your Pittsburgh Pirates items!

[quote=frikativ54;261298]I'll bet there was a lot of pressure to switch numbers. Not sure I like the idea of all teams retiring #42. If so, why wasn't the honor extended to Clemente and #21?[/quote

For that matter, how about Babe Ruth's #3? After all, he only saved a sport seriously wounded by the Black Sox Scandal.

Dave Miedema

Just wanted to post they FINALLY won after one of the more miserable 10 game losing streaks I have ever seen. Hopefully this can propel them back above .500 again. I refuse to believe the last four months prior to this was a mirage.

Quote Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
    I love that clemente poster, I remember passing it on ebay years ago, and Ill never forgive myself for it. If you ever want to sell it, please look me up, I would love to own it.

-Tony
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Always looking for ALEX AVILA, ALBERT PUJOLS, HOME RUN BATS, and any high end gamers from 90's-00's stars.

Tony Servitto
    My Email: servitto84@yahoo.com
    My Website: http://vitosbatsandmemorabilia.webs.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Shipp_96 View Post
    Just wanted to post they FINALLY won after one of the more miserable 10 game losing streaks I have ever seen. Hopefully this can propel them back above .500 again. I refuse to believe the last four months prior to this was a mirage.
    I wish the Pirates luck. They have not been a winning team since I first started watching baseball.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    I wish the Pirates luck. They have not been a winning team since I first started watching baseball.
    +1

Dave Miedema

Quote Originally Posted by spartanservitto View Post
    I love that clemente poster, I remember passing it on ebay years ago, and Ill never forgive myself for it. If you ever want to sell it, please look me up, I would love to own it.

-Tony
    Thanks Tony I am showing my age but I picked it up for 300.00 in an auction about seven years prior to ebay existing. It was the first baseball item my wife agreed let me buy after we married. I was making 7.25 an hour and going to graduate school so even at 300 it was a major sacrafice. It is one of my favorite pieces for that reason. By the way I still have the wife as well

Mike