Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: For sure a team issue but is it a Larry walker?

I can only speak from experience as I have not seen rockies gamers with a neck tag.

Also I know Walker wore a 48 and 50 with Colorado. With customizations.

One more thing the R in Walker should not have material between the middle. Something I have not seen before.

I'd read in this forum something about the Rockies being the only team to keep neck tags on early Russell jerseys so I thought maybe that would explain team issue buttons on a retail jersey...I suspect the name was added to a team issue as I'm pretty sure gamers don't have the thick lettering like this, but was hoping a Rockies expert could advise.

Didn't some Blue Jays jerseys have the neck tags as well? I'm pretty sure one of mine does.

Yes they did. If I remember it was a couple years with Wilson as the supplier.

Yeah I was always under the impression every single Russell that had a neck tag was retail until I read about the Rockies odd way of handling things. Any Rockies jersey experts out there?

Banned

Lightbulb Re: For sure a team issue but is it a Larry walker?

While I'm not specifically giving a yea or nay on this Walker jersey, I do know that in 1993, a large number of Rockies team-issued jerseys with retail-style collar tags did see use. The fancy buttons were a part of the mix. Ball Park Heroes got a lot of these from the Rockies in a mid-1990s bulk buy. However, the BPH items (retail or pro tagging) came with team-issued LOAs. I'll try to research the jersey specs themselves in a few hours and post my findings.

Dave Miedema

Banned

Thumbs up Re: For sure a team issue but is it a Larry walker?

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    While I'm not specifically giving a yea or nay on this Walker jersey, I do know that in 1993, a large number of Rockies team-issued jerseys with retail-style collar tags did see use. The fancy buttons were a part of the mix. Ball Park Heroes got a lot of these from the Rockies in a mid-1990s bulk buy. However, the BPH items (retail or pro tagging) came with team-issued LOAs. I'll try to research the jersey specs themselves in a few hours and post my findings.

Dave Miedema
    I just had a thought on my way to checking photos, and the photo confirmed my concerns. IF this is a 1993 gamer, where is the Inaugural Season patch (right sleeve)?

Dave M.

Consensus seems to lean toward retail, but I figured maybe this can be established logically.

Walker joined Rockies in 1995.
    Rockies stopped using that jersey style in 1999.

1999 - Columbine High School patch & WALKER in different material than shown
    1998 - Coors Field ASG patch & WALKER in different material than shown
    1997 - Jackie Robinson patch & WALKER in different material than shown
    1996/1995 - ROCKIES & WALKER in different material than shown
    1995 & 1997 - Team issued jerseys had year. I think probably 1998-1999 also.

If the ROCKIES patchwork wasn't different, there'd be an outside chance it was a 1996 jersey, however all signs point to retail jersey.

Lightbulb Re: For sure a team issue but is it a Larry walker?

Now this is what I'm talking about! Thread started out slow but I think you guys have Sherlock Holmed an answer...I wish it was better news though, owning a walker would have been pretty neat. Did we ever figure out if the lettering on back was team style? Lastly, if it's a retail with team buttons is it worth more than a regular retail jersey with regular buttons? Like could it be a team issue jersey that never made it to the team and someone just customized it? Kind of like any other blank team issue that never got issued? Dennis

I saw one yesterday, I think it was a 1997 or so used home jersey, and the back looked like night and day different.