Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

AMI Auction: Dennie Martinez "Rookie"

The current AMI auction contains a lot (8891) which is described as a "1976 Dennis Martinez Game Worn Jersey (Rookie)"

The main thing wrong with this jersey is that it is a number 30 which Dennis did not wear until 1977 (his second year). I have photographic evidence of Dennis wearing number 61 after his Septemeber call up which is easily backed up by an Orioles program I own as well two reference books (Stang & "Now Batting...."). The number 30 was worn by two Orioles players in 1976, the first being Ken Holtzman and after he was traded to the Yankees in June, it was worn by Dave Pagan for the rest of the year (who was one of the players they rec'd in return).

The auction copy reads in part "this size (42) knit was worn by El Presidente in 1976 when he was a 21 year old rookie in Baltimore....the reason "D" was added was because the team also rostered Tippy Martinez
    in '76. Dennis Martinez made his first appearance in May (my emphasis) while Tippy was on the roster Opening Day (again, my emphasis)."

Obviously that passage has nothing to do with the jersey's physical qualities but it is just so erroneous due to that fact that Dennis was recalled by the Orioles after the Rochester season was over on 09/09/76 and made his debut on the 14th of that month (pitched in four games). Tippy Martinez was not on the Orioles Opening Day roster that year since he was part of that Yankee trade that was mentioned earlier (06/15/76). These aren't simple "errors" as people like to refer to, but rather in my opinion just sloppy background work.

Interestingly, this same jersey was on eBay about a month or so ago & I contacted the seller with the same concerns and asked if there was a number/name change, etc. & he told me that there wasn't but that he would pull the auction & look into the situation. Obviously, he then consigned it to AMI.

Eric, I did contact AMI with these concerns on Friday evening and to be fair I gave them the weekend & all day Monday to respond and obviously they did not provide with me a courtesy of a reply.

And yes, for you at home keeping score, the jersey does come with a COA from Lou Lampson.

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/A...ction_ID=32346

Banned

Re: AMI Auction: Dennie Martinez "Rookie"

Quote Originally Posted by ironmanfan View Post
    And yes, for you at home keeping score, the jersey does come with a COA from Lou Lampson.

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/A...ction_ID=32346
    What did Lou say when you asked him about his LOA?

Oh wait, that was not a realistic question.

Joel, I guess the biggest part that blows me away that in the time it took them to fabricate the story of Dennis Martinez making his debut in May of 1976 and that Tippy Martinez was on the Opening Day roster that year, they (god forbid) could have spent 5 minutes to discover the facts.

I'm awaiting a response from either AMI or their apologists (including Ron F., James Rast, et al) for some sort of an intellectual response. Of course, the facts are on my side so I'm interested on what kind of a reply I would receive.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ironmanfan View Post
    Joel, I guess the biggest part that blows me away that in the time it took them to fabricate the story of Dennis Martinez making his debut in May of 1976 and that Tippy Martinez was on the Opening Day roster that year, they (god forbid) could have spent 5 minutes to discover the facts.

I'm awaiting a response from either AMI or their apologists (including Ron F., James Rast, et al) for some sort of an intellectual response. Of course, the facts are on my side so I'm interested on what kind of a reply I would receive.
    Odd, the description reads:

"D. MARTINEZ" is sewn directly to the jersey in plain block font. The reason "D." was added was because the team also rostered Tippy Martinez in '76. Dennis Martinez made his first appearance in May while Tippy was on the roster on Opening Day. Inner tail tagging includes a Rawlings "The Mark of a Pro" tag with two suspended flag tags: "1976" and Set 1."

Your assessments are correct, since Dennis made his debut according to Baseball Reference September 14, 1976 vs. DET 5.7 IP, 4 H, 5 SO, 1 BB 0 ER, W, while Tippy was traded to the O's June 15th, 1976 from the Yankees. It does not list the date Dennis was called up and placed on the O's rooster.

I can only assume AMI will make the changes to this lot (or pull it) once things settle down from the auction that ended last week.

My reference on the day that Dennis was recalled from Rochester was from the 1977 Baltimore Orioles Media Guide.

Wow (ALMOST MAGICALLY) this auction NOW reads as NOW been worn in 1977 labeled as "ROOKIE ERA" ...does anyone hear 1978 or 1979?

I guess this means that my chances to be in Vic & Kieta's new video have been eliminated????

Of course, I am still waiting for a courtesy of a reply.......

Banned

Ironmanfan-
    People have noted that the "Major Auction Houses" don't waste their time reading this Forum, and don't reply to posts seeking specific info. about an itme in an auction.

Strange how quickly the description was changed on this jersey after your post.

Remember.......only collectors read this Forum-not the auction houses....think again!

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

It's hard to believe that I HAVE to do their HOMEWORK for them and that if they only would have changed their listing after contacting them FOUR days ago with the information prior to posting on this forum, no one would have been the wiser, it could have been fixed....Oh well...... To quote Kieta & Vic, "IT DOESN'T GET BETTER THAN THIS........."

Bill
    whhp72@yahoo.com

I'm curious as to what proof this jersey was worn in 1977 (particularly since Denny wore # 61 in 1976)? Why wouldn't Denny's # 30 tops be labled as 1977 in 1977???????????? What legwork does AMI show do indicate this?

Bill
    whhp72@yahoo.com

Give 'em a call. See what they say. Can't hurt.
    Eric