Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Re: AMI Auction: Dennie Martinez "Rookie"

Bill-
    Quite possibly a copy of your email will be attached to the original Lampson LOA-who knows!

Send your question to the folks at AMI. I too am curious as to the research conducted to conclude this was worn in 1977. I would not suggest sending it to Kieta, as a previous post indicated she is extremely involved with making huge Hollyoowd blockbuster films.

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Quote Originally Posted by ironmanfan View Post
    I'm curious as to what proof this jersey was worn in 1977 (particularly since Denny wore # 61 in 1976)? Why wouldn't Denny's # 30 tops be labled as 1977 in 1977???????????? What legwork does AMI show do indicate this?
    Quote Originally Posted by ironmanfan View Post

Eric, I gave them adequate time to repond since the 22nd......The pros at AMI only changed their direction after I responded with FACTUAL information this morning on this forum (same FACTUAL information I provided to them the 22nd). I am awaiting their FIRST response to me. I want to hear what they ACTUALLY know about his jersey.

Bill
    whhp72@yahoo.com

Folks, I don't even know where to begin with this. What a mess. This is beyond embarrassing - it is shameful.

Bill, you left out a couple of major AMI apologists/defenders: Rocco and Dave/CollectGU. Perhaps one or both of them can chime in here to explain this all away. It would take a brilliant magician, though. Ron F.'s recent depiction of the AMI gang blew my mind.

Reid
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Bill

You have gone above and beyond here. But don't you just want to know what they had to say about it?

Maybe "James A. Rast" will answer the phone.
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Bill

You have gone above and beyond here. But don't you just want to know what they had to say about it?

Maybe "James A. Rast" will answer the phone.
    Eric
    Eric,

Bill doesn't need to waste his time. I can tell you what they'd say (based on many, many personal experiences with them). It will start out with "Hey, Buddy, great to hear from you!" Everyone is AMI's "Buddy." Then, after the question is posed, one of two canned responses will follow: (a) "We'll need to get back to you about that, Buddy." or (b) "Lou's not in right now, Buddy, but we can relay a message for you."

To quote Howard: "When will the madness end?"

Reid
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Eric, while as much as much as I would love Mr. Rast to answer the phone at AMI, their silence to me almost 96 hours ago SPEAKS VOLUMES!

I love that my KNOWLEDGE (I'm not on AMI's payroll) has changed their auction description. I haven't received a dime nor a thank you!

Dave O'Brien (Collect GU) where are you??? ..............I'd love to hear from Ron F. as well Obviously, I've given up on Rocco or Mr. Rast...

The facts are on my side, please tell me what you know....

Bill
    whhp72@yahoo.com

bill,

there are a few possibilities here.

one possibility is that orioles received a blank spare in 1976 and didn't use it until 1977 when they had it numbered and lettered. in this case, the jersey would be labeled as a 1976 and martinez's name and 1977 number 30 would all be original, unaltered with no ghost stitching. i've seen clubs order spares and not use them until the following year.

the second possibility is, according to ami, that the jersey was carried over from 1976 to 1977. this implies that the jersey was first worn by either holtzman or pagan in 1976 and then given to martinez in 1977. i believe the lack of a nameplate may indicate that, during 1976/77, the orioles weren't fond of re-using jerseys as the lack of a nameplate makes it substantially more difficult to remove nobs. if re-using jerseys was their common practice, then you'd think they'd order jerseys with nameplates.

for the purposes of this discussion, let's assume the orioles re-used jerseys during those years. if the jersey was carried over from holtzman or pagan to martinez, then you'd have to see evidence of a name change. it would be very unlikely to strip off a directly sewn name like holtzman and then affix d.martinez and not be able to see evidence of the prior name. you said that the original seller indicated it was all original and unaltered. if that's the case, then how was the jersey carried over from holtzman/pagan? secondly, the ami description makes no mention of evidence of a name change.

if everything is original and unaltered, then a carryover seems impossible. i think a far more likely explanation is that the jersey was a 1976 blank spare that was lettered and numbered in 1977 when martinez joined the team. that would explain the tag, the number 30, and the fact that everything is original and unaltered.

p.s. i don't think it's realistic to expect kieta to have done this legwork. her "vast hollywood connections" probably keep her overwhelmingly busy.
    you don't get an impressive imdb profile like this http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0452662/ by sitting around researching 1976 orioles jerseys.

rudy.

Bill,

You asked me to chime in. It looks like they made an error in the description and then corrected it based on your e-mail and/or your post. Personally I think that is the responsible thing to do, and I don't see a problem with that. If you want credit, what don't you call them and ask why they didn't thank you...I have no idea why you felt you needed to take a swipe at Ron F. as he has nothing to do with this....

Dave

Speaking of Kieta, what's her last name? Rudy, the imdb profile is a classic. The Full House credentials really make her legit.

Tim

Banned

Tim-
    It appears you are a real novice to Hollywood scene and possibly the National Enquirer.

In this day and age, who's not familiar with the likes of the ultra famous "one name stars" such as of Cher, Charo, Fabio, Madonna, Lassie, and of course Kieta!

Really.........

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net