Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

mlb cap collectors

i need to find out anything, anybody might know about an item! i purchaesd on ebay item#290019381622 i'm new to collecting and don't know anything about game used,or store bought cap's or if it's even an era cap?

Re: mlb cap collectors

I know nothing about vintage caps like that, but to help you out here I will post the photos for you on this Joe DiMaggio advertised cap.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by zonker View Post
    i need to find out anything, anybody might know about an item! i purchaesd on ebay item#290019381622 i'm new to collecting and don't know anything about game used,or store bought cap's or if it's even an era cap?
    Welcome to the forum!

I am not a cap expert, so I'll let the others chime in. I would assume if the cap was genuine it would have fetched a much higher price, but it could have been lost in the shuffle.

What I did want to ask is your nickname "Zonker" after the Garry Trudeau character featured in Doonesbury comics?

I am no expert but the New Era tags look like 1980's early 1990's New Era tags. The NY on front does not look like DiMaggio era

-Henry

wow!!!!! your the first to get it! most people can't say my real last name very well so iv'e always just told them to call me that. i was born in 66 and started reading sunday papers in elementary school when in 72 73 i read my first one and me and o'l zonker had a lot of similarities besides close name's. (ignorance and bliss go hand n hand )

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by zonker View Post
    wow!!!!! your the first to get it! most people can't say my real last name very well so iv'e always just told them to call me that. i was born in 66 and started reading sunday papers in elementary school when in 72 73 i read my first one and me and o'l zonker had a lot of similarities besides close name's. (ignorance and bliss go hand n hand )
    Before I completely stopped reading newspapers about ten years ago, I would open the Chicago Tribune every day, read Mike Royko's page 3 column, flip to Doonesbury and go to the sports section.

I have been bad the last few years, as I have fallen way behind on my strip reading, but for a few years there I read the comic every day online.

I remember seeing that exact hat sell on eBay, probably around a year ago. I also remember a discussion (possibly on this board) questioning it's authenticity. I'm not saying it's fake, as I'm no expert on hats. I'll look for the discussion about the hat the first time it sold on eBay...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MVP View Post
    I am no expert but the New Era tags look like 1980's early 1990's New Era tags. The NY on front does not look like DiMaggio era

-Henry

I have to agree with MVP on this one im no expert either but I am looking into it deeper for information on Game Used New Era hats as soon as I come up with more info I will post it here.

I agree with MVP the hat looks new from possibly the late 80's I would doubt 90's becuz in 91 they applied the MLB Logo to the hat, so that would be a dead giveaway that it wasn't Dimaggios.

Also really nothing on the hat looks vintage it loos pretty new.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by suave1477 View Post
    I have to agree with MVP on this one im no expert either but I am looking into it deeper for information on Game Used New Era hats as soon as I come up with more info I will post it here.

I agree with MVP the hat looks new from possibly the late 80's I would doubt 90's becuz in 91 they applied the MLB Logo to the hat, so that would be a dead giveaway that it wasn't Dimaggios.

Also really nothing on the hat looks vintage it loos pretty new.
    Though I question the cap, Joe DiMaggio lived until 1999, so the cap could have been issued for him anytime until that date. I checked and his brothers never played for The Yankees, so it would be odd if it was issued for either of them.

Why would it not being from the 1990s be a "dead giveaway that it wasn't Dimaggios"? What does that mean?

Hello,

At very earliest, the cap is from the 1970's. I have handled a good number of caps including Yankees over the years and have never seen a post 1950's Yankees cap with the name stitched in. The Old Timers game and coaching caps that I have seen have had the numbers written under the brims to identify the player or coach.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike Heffner