Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Alfonso Soriano Glove

Quote Originally Posted by markize View Post
    Jason,

Can you email me with link or pics of the match?

Mark
    Oops.

sirfuzzy@comcast.net

Mark

Joel,

Soriano hasn't played 2nd base since 2005 with the Rangers, with the exception of the WBC in 2006. I have checked the WBC pictures, and that's not the glove.

Mark

my friend in japan has a nonwebbed glove from when soriano was in texas. the logo is different now tho for mizuno gloves.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    my friend in japan has a nonwebbed glove from when soriano was in texas. the logo is different now tho for mizuno gloves.
    joel,

I would love to see pics. I just picked up one of his gloves from 2002-2003. I can't wait till it gets here!! Can you ask him to send pics, or can you send me some? Send to: sirfuzzy@comcast.net

mark

Banned

Here's a pic I took of AS back in 2006.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Jason,

This glove is identical to those typically used by Soriano with regard to the physical characteristics you mentioned (embroidery, labels, etc.). The difference I noticed was with the wrist strap and the style of web on the eBay glove. If you have a photo of Soriano using a Mizuno outfielders glove without a Trapeze-style web and with a wrist strap like that, I'd love to see it. Please email me at the address below, or post here.

Thanks in advance!

Best,
    Rob Steinmetz
    www.authenticgamers.com
    authenticgamers@aol.com

Paying top dollar for Chicago Cubs game used equipment!

Jason,

Can you email me with link or pics of the match?

Mark
    Mark - Has anyone found some pics of this? That glove looks like it has seen a lot of use. Maybe a backup?

What's up with the sig? The "A" in Alfonso looks like he made an extra line and the S-O-R-I-A-N-O doesn't flow like other Soriano sigs I have. Maybe the pen wasn't working well.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

I'm not an autograph expert by any means, but I know the "Alfonso So" autograph is relatively new and pretty much the only way he signs anymore. I heard many complaints at the Cubs Convention this year from people wanting a signature that included his entire name. The guys who do all the signings with Soriano told me that they instructed him to do this as a method of speeding up the signing process. Again, I don't analyze handwriting, but the signature looks like many others I've seen over the last year or two. With all that said, it is possible that this glove was retained as a backup or practice glove.
    Rob Steinmetz
    www.authenticgamers.com
    authenticgamers@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by RobSteinmetz View Post
    I'm not an autograph expert by any means, but I know the "Alfonso So" autograph is relatively new and pretty much the only way he signs anymore. I heard many complaints at the Cubs Convention this year from people wanting a signature that included his entire name. The guys who do all the signings with Soriano told me that they instructed him to do this as a method of speeding up the signing process. Again, I don't analyze handwriting, but the signature looks like many others I've seen over the last year or two. With all that said, it is possible that this glove was retained as a backup or practice glove.
    Rob - I was more talking about the "A" had 2 lines and the flow of the S---to the O. I am sure it is real, just looked like maybe the pen wasn't working and he had to start again.

Jason sent me a good link to show him using a similar glove. Like I said, maybe a backup?

http://www.uspresswire.com/search/fulltext/3007841
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Still possible that it is a backup, but that photo (along with the others in that same series on US Presswire) show him using a similar glove with a Trapeze-style web (and no wrist strap) - the same style he typically uses in games. The eBay glove has a different style web with a wrist strap. Definitely not the same style glove.
    Rob Steinmetz
    www.authenticgamers.com
    authenticgamers@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    Mark - Has anyone found some pics of this? That glove looks like it has seen a lot of use. Maybe a backup?

What's up with the sig? The "A" in Alfonso looks like he made an extra line and the S-O-R-I-A-N-O doesn't flow like other Soriano sigs I have. Maybe the pen wasn't working well.
    Andrew,

The flow is a bit off, but I have seen that style signature too. I consider that his "free" version, as opposed to where he us paid, and signs the whole thing. I do, however, trust that Rob said the promoters rush him through a signing and that's why it looks that way.

Quote Originally Posted by RobSteinmetz View Post
    Still possible that it is a backup, but that photo (along with the others in that same series on US Presswire) show him using a similar glove with a Trapeze-style web (and no wrist strap) - the same style he typically uses in games. The eBay glove has a different style web with a wrist strap. Definitely not the same style glove.
    Rob,

You are correct. Jason was kind enough to send me those pics last night, and it is not the same glove. There is a white line above "el monstruo", and 2 below it in the us presswire photo, as well as the open area around his knuckles, both of which aren't present on the ebay glove. The ebay pictures show 3 "x's" where the leather holds the two sections together, which aren't present on the us presswire photos.

I did find a picture somewhere (Getty I think) with a wrist strap, but I can find it now. I will try to find it and email you. As I mentioned in a previous post, I haven't seen any "el monstruo" gamers before 2008. My guess is that this may be a "warm up" glove as those pictures from us presswire are all pregame pictures.

Mark