Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Do you want it back

I was wondering if any of you ever sold something and then wanted it back. And you know that you will never get it back. Like a year 1/2 ago i sold a 50's game used Larry Berra bat which is really rare. I wish i have never sold it. I had sold it to John Taube. Not a day goes by that i wish i could have changed my mind then. Let's see if any of you have the same problem.

Re: Do you want it back

i know exactly how you feel. Last year i sold a two tone Prince Fielder RC year bat. The barrel was maroon and the handle was an orangish brown color. It was very lightly used and i sold it pretty soon after i got it becase i needed the money. Well that was when he hit 28 homers and was still on the rise and it was also before i knew how many game used bats of his i would actually see on the market. I was starting to think i would never see this exact style of bat again and was regretting selling that thing every day and the bad part was i knew if that same style ever did appear again it would cost a fortune due to the rarity of it. Well just recently one was put up for auction that was ten times better than my one i sold. This one has a taped handle which mine didnt have and this one has tons and tons of blue ink tansfers and ball and seam marks which are tough to see on this color of barrel. I knew that this was the single most important bat to me so i ended up winning the item. The only other bat i regret ever selling was a heavily used soriano nats bat from last season and hopefully i will get a chance to redeem myself on getting one of those back too. Sorry for the long read i just figured you would like a similar story. I am lucky to have ever seen another bat like that let alone be the wining bidder.

In the early 90's I purchased Jon Casey gameworn North Stars jersey from Milton Byron for $150. I held onto it for about a yr then traded it to a friend for another goalie gamer. In recent yrs I've seen Casey North Stars gamers go for upwards of $750. That's one jersey I wish I had back.
    Paul

When I was 16, I stumbled onto a garage sale and bought a mint condition, 1957 Topps baseball card. It was Yankees Power Hitters with Berra and Mantle. It was gorgeous. I got it for $2.50. a few months later, I thought I was a big wheel and rented a table at a local card show and sold it for $75.

You dont even want to know what that card would sell for now.

i'd love to have quite a few of my old batting helmets back. i had some really nice ones from the 70s and early 80s but i sold them 10 years ago or so. another one i sold about 12 years ago was greg olson's 1991 braves helmet. it was great. had the us/can flags, the black and gold numbers, the abc logo was blacked out. it was a perfect braves example from that era. i sort of regretted letting it go shortly after i sold it, especially since the 91 season was my favorite as a braves fan. as luck would have it, it resurfaced a couple of weeks ago and i bought it (again). here are a couple of pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    "The knowledge that this guy has in his head, some of you would never be able to comprehend."

Thats good that some of you guys get your items back.. To me to get the bat back i would have to pay alot of money. Because now i know how rare it is. I believe that it was only 1 of like 20 maybe even less then 20 left. I'm talking larry berra bats not when they wrote Yogi.

Some time ago, I had a luggage tag from the Minnesota North Stars. It was found in a rental car by my brother who worked for Enterprise. I dont remember who the player was but it would be neat if I still had that to see if he was some star player. I think I lost it over the years.

Banned

I had a Game worn Adrian Dantley 1974 Notre Dame jersey-he even signed it that way. Picked it up for 300.00 from somebody who had no clue about it. Then I stuck it on ebay and sold for almost 1200.00 (a dumb buy it now price by me). Then it got put in an American Memorabilia auction and sold for almost 4500.00! I just wished I would have kept it instead of chasing the big profit-OR-at least consigned it myself and made a 4000.00 profit. Big dumbie.
    Greg

Post Re: Do you want it back

Out of all of the hall of fame bats that I've sold over the past four years including Kaline, Cepeda, Bench, Seaver, Morgan, Perez, Yount, Brett, Carew, McCovey, Carlton, Jackson, Molitor, Cobb, Mazeroski, Aaron, Mathews, and Puckett, by far the one I miss the most is the 1971-72 Adirondack Willie Mays.

Great markings, great use, great bat. I'm not saying I would necessarily like to have it back because I really do prefer Hillerich & Bradsby bats for my own collection. It was a great bat though.
    Name:  WMaysSM.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  117.2 KB
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tim Byington
    Hall of Fame Bats
    tim@hofbats.com

Before Ebay--Antique Roadshow--and History Detectives, I bought an autograph book that the person selling it said had been passed down in his family for many years. He had placed in add in the local paper and I ended up buying the book for $1000.00. Inside were single page autographs starting with U.S. Grant--on page two his wife--on page three his son, etc. Each had the date March 26, 1873 under their names. Also in the book-- pages were signed by the entire cabinet of the president as well as Chester A. Arthur and Rutherford B. Hayes. In addition, there were cut signatures of Daniel Webster, Henry Longfellow, Horace Greeley and 15 or so lesser people whose names I did not recognize.

I tried for 3 years to figure out the connection of how all of these people could have met at one time or another and came up with nothing. I even took the book to several other people in the industry and nothing. Finally, there was a Jimmie Foxx Hall of Fame front signed gold plaque card coming up for auction which I needed for my collection and R and R Enterprizes was looking at the book at that particular time. They called and offered $1250.00 for it stating that why would I want to go to the trouble of paying for it to be shipped back. Just sell it why its here. Knowing I needed cash for the Foxx card, I finally said yes.

Luckily, I was able to get the card in the auction and still have it which I am happy about. However,several months later, I happened to see a Lelands auction with a U.S. Grant--March 26th, 1876 first page signature...................

The title heading of the auction was for Grants "personal" autograph book. I never checked to see what the final sale price was but I sometime wish I had found the money to buy the Foxx card somewhere else.