Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

My UVA basketball alumni NBA game used jersey collection

With the NBA season quickly approaching and more importantly the college basketball season being less than a month away I thought I'd share one of the newer segments of my collection, NBA jerseys worn by University of Virginia alumni. At this point I'm sticking just with the Tony Bennett era, but at some point I'd love to add a Crotty, Stith, Jeff Lamp and who wouldn't want a Ralph Sampson?

I'll start with my favorite player and favorite jersey, 2017-18 Malcolm Brogdon road jersey worn for game 1 of the first round playoff series against the Celtics. Malcolm had 16 points, including a 3 with 10 seconds left to tie the game. It wasn't enough as the Celtics won 113-107.
    Next is a Joe Harris Nets road jersey worn on April 3, 2018 against the 76ers. Joe had 13 points in a loss.

Justin Anderson 76ers road jersey worn on April 4, 2018 against the Pistons. Justin scored 2 points in 1 minute of game action in a win for the Sixers.

Last is my most recent pickup, one I'm still shocked to have found. London Perrantes is one of my top 5 favorite Wahoos of all time. He started more games at UVA than any other player. He went undrafted in 2017 but was signed to play in the summer league for the Miami Heat. Since then he played a handful of games with Cleveland in 2018, has been in camp for the Spurs without making the team, played in the G League and overseas. He was in camp with Portland this year but was released yesterday. Last week I was doing my usual eBay searches when a London Perrantes Heat summer league jersey popped up. I could not believe it! He was one of the players I sort of thought I'd never find anything from. I did a quick negotiation with the seller and added it to my collection.

In addition to these jerseys I have Malcom Brogdon's MLK Day warmup shirts from all three years he has been in the league.

I still need to add something from Mike Scott. This year brings a large crop of UVA alumni into the league: DeAndre Hunter and Ty Jerome for sure. Kyle Guy is on a two-way contract with the Kings so he will hopefully have some time in the league in the regular season and then Devon Hall, who was drafted a year ago is now on a two way contract with OKC. There is also Marial Shayok who played 2 years at UVA before transferring to Iowa State. He's a player I really liked during his time at Virginia but his style just didn't fit Bennett's system. He's on a 2 way contract with the 76ers, I hope to add a jersey of his to the collection as well. The toughest of all the alumni might end up being Mike Tobey. He played in 2 games for Charlotte in 2016-17 and has been overseas ever since. Chances are nothing will ever turn up, but I'll keep looking, because that's what we do.

Go Hoos!

Great set of jerseys and loved the history and backgrounds on the VA players.

Thanks for posting. Tom

Great stuff Abe!!! I got accepted and almost transferred to UVA for my junior year, but they wouldn't accept a couple courses I had taken and passed - beautiful campus and school!! My wife was born in Charlottesville - great town...

Jim