Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Best Modern Game Used Investments?

Quote Originally Posted by suave1477 View Post
    I think a player that everybody is forgetting and I notice people dont speak of him as in terms of hall of fame potential is Gary Sheffield.

Look at his numbers - only 20 home runs away from 500

9 time All Star
    1992 Major League Player of the Year
    5 time Silver Slugger
    7 times voted for MVP

Stat wise compared to 5 hall of famers
    Mickey Mantle
    Eddie Matthews
    Mike Schmidt
    Willie Stargell
    Billy Williams

By age compared to 6 hall of famers
    Reggie Jackson
    Mike Schmidt
    Ernie Banks
    Dave Winfield
    Billy Williams
    Al Kaline

You go to admit he has a great shot and all the others stats he is comapred are guys who should be going in also.

Like Frank Thomas / Ken Griffey

why is his stuff so cheap?

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...&fsop=2&fsoo=2
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Banned

Dealing in a lot of his items, I would say Craig Biggio items seam to increase in value a lot more than his 3000 Hit Club counterparts.

Thanks,

The sad thing is you need something bad to happen to someone to get a profit out of an item. It makes me sick when someone dies at a young age via being killed in an accident or murdered or whatever how their stuff increases very very high.

It honestly sickened me to see Mike Coolbaugh bats trying to be sold for what it is trying to be sold of or did sell for because he died coaching first base and not jsut because of natural causes. He did nothing on the field to constitue that price as I wouldnt haven even bid 10 bucks on it on ebay if would have seen it before his death as he did nothing in the majors.

It happens all the time.... Sean Taylor great great player probably would make the hall of fame if he kept up the way he was projected to do. He was murdered and his stuff was selling for 100 times what you could have bought it for pre murder.

i do not think many items have a chance to increase in value but i think as far as bats are concerned, the better use on the bat the better the bat will hold its value and maybe even go up. Alot of "weakly used' game used bats have started to surface over the past few years and its really hard to find bats that show they have actually been taken to the plate for more than a games use. I think collectors will start to go after bats that have been to battle over bats of good players that show little to no use. I personally would rather have a ray durham game used bat thats covered in use and looks too battered to even use again over a manny ramirez bat that shows none of mannys characteristics and happens to have maybe a few barrel scratches. My opinion is that as far as bats go i think collectors will start to lean towards a collection of trashed bats over a collection of big name basically game issued bats. Of course there is the double whammy which is finding a big name player whos bat is hammered. Then i think you have an item that has no limits on how high it can go.

Sheffield's stuff was cheap to begin with because there was so much of it available coupled with being unpopular. Now throw in the steroid factor and you have what you have.

Quote Originally Posted by ahuff View Post
    Do you happen to have his South Bend one?
    Nope...got one to sell? I guess that's the next quest for me. I've got four from Visalia and three from Mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    if these are for an investment, wait for his first great season and dump it. I like what rudy says that once they are well know you will get your price and keeping it will not get you any noticable additional return
    Nah, my finances would have to take a very serious downturn before I'd part with any of my collection. I guess that, cumulatively, it will all be worth something some day - and since none of my kids seem at all interested in Baseball, I'll probably have to make some kind of arrangements for it to be sold after I croak - but barring unforseen circumstances, those jerseys will still be with me when J-Up is collecting his MLB pension.

Guys -

I have posted about Edgar Renteria being a probable future HOF numerous times, and I can't believe that not one person has seconded that. I mean, you can get a GU bat for under $100.

He is 31 and is a hair away from 2000 hits. He has plenty of SB, runs, RBI - .291 average - and is a great SS. He was a WS hero, and has a few rings. Slightly less than Jeter, but Jeter is a year older - and plays in NY.

Seriously, Edgar is someone you should think about in the short term for long term benefits.

Dave
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned

BigTruck I will second your motion on his possibilties but remember the Hall of Fame is a popularity contest.

And to be honest Edgar is not completley a in the spotlight type of guy. When I say this I speak from a New Yorkers point of view. In New York we barely hear too much about him and something that makes players stand out is these days is power hitting which he doesn't even come close too.

If you want to compare Jeter and I am not saying Jeter is a first ballot into the hall either but just comparing numbers.

Jeter is not even a power hitter and has double the home runs Edgar has, Edgar barely scrapes 10 HR'S a year.

Stolen bases - Edgar only has about 10 over Jeter and thats because he had 3 really good years but Jeter is consistant every year with an average of 20 - Edgar is not consitant and hasn't stolen 20 in 4 years.

In 10 years he has been on 4 teams so I think that hurts him a bit.

So I ll say it's possible but no where near a definite hall of fame bound player. I would say if at most he will be a Jim Rice and be lingering around the hall of fame votes but probably wont make it, unless he goes in with the veterans vote.

Quote Originally Posted by godwulf View Post
    Nah, my finances would have to take a very serious downturn before I'd part with any of my collection. I guess that, cumulatively, it will all be worth something some day - and since none of my kids seem at all interested in Baseball, I'll probably have to make some kind of arrangements for it to be sold after I croak - but barring unforseen circumstances, those jerseys will still be with me when J-Up is collecting his MLB pension.
    Then you are definitely a collector. Justin is better than his brother and BJ just turned the corner in the major. Did you buy all those jersey that were going for $500-700 a couple of month ago on ebay?
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.