Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Montreal Expos and Hockey fans

For all of you hockey and Montreal Expos fans......just found an auction site called classicauctions.net that has some unbelievable items they just put up for auction.......wow!
    "All suspects are guilty until proven innocent in the court of law":D

cjduffield@cablespeed.com

Re: Montreal Expos and Hockey fans

How reliable is this auction house? Some real nice stuff but nothing really seems to come with any provenance.

Any thoughts?

Thanks. Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    How reliable is this auction house? Some real nice stuff but nothing really seems to come with any provenance.

Any thoughts?

Thanks. Andrew
    That's one serious Expos collection! Have never seen one that big, anyone into Expos stuff would be amazed!

From what I am told, they are reliable & legit. I've had a few friends buy some hockey items off there & had no problems at all. They mostly deal with high profiles hockey collections, but do have a bit of baseball, football, etc..

That website made the news when they were actioning off the Alan Eagleson hockey collection.

SCS

Everyone I have spoken with over on my hockey forum boards swear by them and are very impressed with the auctions.......I wish I could give you first hand knowledge but I can never afford any of the jerseys I want and always get outbid.......but it's fun to watch and I know fellow collectors have always been satisfied.
    "All suspects are guilty until proven innocent in the court of law":D

cjduffield@cablespeed.com

Classic is the best in the business. They've done player collection consignments of numerous HHOF inductees and always seem to find some amazing stuff.

Last year they had what was presented as a photomatched Bobby Orr Stanley Cup Finals jersey (matched to Orr drinking from the Stanley Cup in the locker room after the game). Orr denied it was his, so the Juteau brothers actually flew Barry Meisel up to Montreal to authenticate it himself. It passed, but the negative publicity from the media (as in "How dare someone question Bobby Orr!") probably cost a decent amount.

That said, if anyone bids on any of the Expos items I'm keeping an eye on, I'll call a divine curse on you.

I have been a serious collector of early career Vladimir Guerrero items. I currently have two minor league jerseys as well as a couple of Guerrero rookie game used bats. My game used Minor League jerseys are his 1994 Rookie League Gulf Coast Expos jersey and a 1995 Class A Albany Polecats game used jersey. Both of these jerseys have been photo matched with multiple trading cards and the Gulf Coast jersey has a letter from the Guf Coast Expos team.

I do have some questions or concerns with a couple of jerseys in this auction. The 1993 Dominican jersey is in this auction is a size 48 and has Russell Athletic tagging dating to 1992. The concerns I have is why would the expos send down jerseys to the Dominican League that are only a year old? My other concern is that this jersey is a size 48 and the two jeseys that I have are a size 46. Mytwo jerseys were worn the next two years after his play in the Dominican League. Is it possible that Guerrero could have went down a size the next two years? I know it's usually the other way around as most players go up a size as they progress through pro ball.

The other issue isn't really an issue but AMI sold a supposed 1993 Dominican League Guerrero jersey in October of 2006. This jerseys tagging dated to 1993 as the earliest that Russell Athletic used this tagging so I doubt that the Expos would have sent the club new jerseys.

I have only seen one picture showing Vlad in a #38 jersey and in that one he was wearing a BP jersey.

Shouldn't these jerseys in this auction have some kind of team COA since it appears he was a big collector of Expos memorabilia? I look forward to others opinion on this.

I also have a concern with the 1996 West Palm Beach jersey. Vlad only appeared in 20 games with this club and this is the second 1996 West Palm Beach Guerrero jersey to have come to auction in the past year.

Hunt Auctions sold what they described as a 1996 West Palm Beach Guerrero jersey back in July of 2007. It was a size 48 and the Majestic tagging on this jersey dated from the late 1980's to 1993 so the tagging is possible as the 1994 jersey that I have is a Majestic jersey.

The jersey in the Classic auction has Russell Athletic tagging dating from 1993 to 1995. If you notice the picture of the 1995 Bowman card showing Vlad in a #36 jersey that Classic is using the sleeves are different than the jersey they are offering. The sleeves are also different from the card in Hunt Auctions jersey. I have yet to see a picture of Vlad with a #36 jersey with the same sleeves as the one on the 1995 Bowman card.

I also have an issue with the 1996 Guerrero pre-rookie Expos warm up and the 1997 Pre-season Rookie jersey.

The 1996 pre-rookie warm up is a size 46 and the 1997 jersey is a size 44. The 1996 West Palm Beach jersey is a size 48 so he went from a size 48 to a size 46 in the same season and then the next season went to a size 44. I know Guerrero wore a size 48 his rookie year in 1997. I don't think that Guerrero started out in 1993 with a size 48 moved to a size 46 in 1994 & 1995 and then wore a 46 and a 48 in 1996, then went down to a size 44 in 1997 and then back up to a size 48 the same year.

I am perplexed about the 1997 pre-season jersey as it's a size 44 which I don't beleive he wore but it does have his name on the back. Wilton, his brother didn't join the Expos until the next year in 1998. The only thing I can think of is that Wilton wore this some time during his career with the Expos and this could be his jersey.

Could someone please provide a link to this auction? All my google searches seem to lead to building supply liquidators!
    Thanks,
    Mark
    bigtime39@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by bigtime59 View Post
    Could someone please provide a link to this auction? All my google searches seem to lead to building supply liquidators!
    Thanks,
    Mark
    bigtime39@aol.com
    Here you go!

http://www.classicauctions.net/

Andrew