Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Re: Players with over priced gamers

Quote Originally Posted by STLHAMMER32 View Post
    Can you provide proof of that statement? I can only find him saying that his use was a decade beginning in the 90's.
    I posted the article and his qoute from the article.

Quote Originally Posted by Roady View Post
    I posted the article and his qoute from the article.
    Could you post a link to the article, instead, so there aren't copyright questions, which could result in the post getting edited or removed?

Quote Originally Posted by danesei@yahoo.com View Post
    Could you post a link to the article, instead, so there aren't copyright questions, which could result in the post getting edited or removed?
    Nevermind... I found it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roady View Post
    But he said himself that he used them his entire MLB career.
    Roady, I have now read the article at the link you posted. Nowhere in the there is McGwire quoted as saying he used steroids during his entire career. Matthew Leach, the columnist, interjects that McGwire's statements mean that he used PEDs during all 16 years of his career. Leach also concludes that McGwire acknowledged PED use sometime after his third full season.

The actual quotes attributed to McGwire make it sound like he started using "low doses" of steroids during the 1996 season, to make sure he could stay on the field.

That is how I interpreted the comments about being injury prone (*M*A*S*H* unit) and calling his dad during '96 to talk to him about quitting, and deciding to use steroids as a way to help stay healthy. What specifically did McGwire say (not Leach) that leads you to believe McGwire admitted to using steroids his entire career?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/12/sp...anted=all&_r=0

"McGwire said he briefly tried steroids after the 1989 season but did not begin using them regularly until the winter after the 1993 season,...."

He chose his words very, very carefully.

I will let this drop, it's polluting the thread and I can tell some feelings are very raw.
    I don't really care if anyone believes McGwire or takes up for him
    To me he is a liar and a cheater. He is a grown man who acted like a little child for most if not all of his career. A man who didn't have the will power not to cheat and lie.
    I am not his judge and he never did anything to me that required my forgiveness. I just have zero respect for him.
    He is a man of low character.

Back to the purpose of the thread... If you want to reply that's great let's keep this thread going! If you want to debate that's fine as well. Don't post a reply or debating someones choice without adding your Single Player with whom you feel to be over valued. That's both lame and posting without purpose. Let's allow the thread to keep moving forward. Lets all debate away but lets add value to this thread too by posting your choice!!!

Another SINGLE player I feel to be over valued and I'm sure I'm not alone is Nick Swisher. I think his appeal stems more from his personality than it does from his play. A decent player but not someone whose gamers should fetch the same as the likes of say Adam Jones (IMHO).

His prices weren't high until he put on the pinstripes.
    I collect Jay Bruce and Cincinnati Reds Minor League stuff

My email address: hakes89@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by chakes89 View Post
    His prices weren't high until he put on the pinstripes.
    There is no doubt the team a player plays on is a significant factor when determining value. I.E. Yanks, Red Sox, Cubs and to a lesser extent the Dodgers and Giants all carry premiums due to their market or success. We're all well aware of this factor.