Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Cal Ripken Jr. Rawlings all-star bat?

Class act for pulling the Auction.

Quote Originally Posted by kingjammy24 View Post
    given that the bat wasn't used in the '92 AS game and that it has a ballmark, how are you going to describe it? as a "game-issued bat with doctored ball mark" ?
    Rudy - I think as you said we should congratulate H&S for pulling the bat, but I am suprised that you made quite an accusation that it is a doctored ball mark. We can't be judge and jury unless you know something you aren't sharing.

I would agree that it is questionable as you would expect more marks if it was tried in BP, but unless you hear it from Cal, why would you make a blanket statement like that?

Andrew

I commend Josh & Bill for re-assessing the bat nb

hey andrew

i may have misspoke and made some incorrect assumptions.

as you know though, this hobby is for the mostly premised on odds or likelihoods. if you saw a size 42 astros jersey with "klemenz" on the back, you'd say it was fake and would most likely be correct. however, technically there's always that miniscule chance that roger really did go out there, popping out of a size 42 jersey, with "klemenz" on the back. unless you've got footage of every inning of every game, you couldn't say anything was doctored, even the most ludicrous examples.

we know for a fact that ripken didn't use this bat during the AS game itself. that leaves BP, the workout, or the HR derby. the fact that there's just 1 lone, single ballmark that coincidentally matches with ripken having 1 hit in the AS game suggests to me it was likely to have doctored. maybe i'm wrong but it just seems like a huge coincidence. ripken had 1 hit and this bat has exactly 1 ballmark. secondly, if it was used in BP, the workout, or HR derby it seems very likely that there'd be more than 1 ball mark. you've seen BP. cal went in the cage, took 1 cut, and then tossed the bat away? like the "klemenz" jersey, i suppose it's technically possible albeit very unlikely. thirdly, didn't the bat have a yellow rack mark? the bat rack at jack murphy stadium at that time was painted blue. (i don't know who in the american league in 1992 had a yellow bat rack).

again, i may have misspoke and i may be wrong but i'm simply going by the odds. the BP experience is technically possible but i'm still completely lost with the yellow rack mark. anyway, i do see your point and if the moderators want to delete my post then i completely understand.

rudy.

Quote Originally Posted by kingjammy24 View Post
    hey andrew

i may have misspoke and made some incorrect assumptions.

we know for a fact that ripken didn't use this bat during the AS game itself. that leaves BP, the workout, or the HR derby. the fact that there's just 1 lone, single ballmark that coincidentally matches with ripken having 1 hit in the AS game suggests to me it was likely to have doctored. maybe i'm wrong but it just seems like a huge coincidence. ripken had 1 hit and this bat has exactly 1 ballmark. secondly, if it was used in BP, the workout, or HR derby it seems very likely that there'd be more than 1 ball mark. you've seen BP. cal went in the cage, took 1 cut, and then tossed the bat away?

again, i may have misspoke and i may be wrong but i'm simply going by the odds. the BP experience is technically possible but i'm still completely lost with the yellow rack mark. anyway, i do see your point and if the moderators want to delete my post then i completely understand.

rudy.
    Rudy - Good clarification and as I said in my previous Post I also found it improbable that this saw a BP session with the one ball mark. Maybe the owner of the bat will give an alternate theory or maybe Troy has one.

I was the high bidder and got a phone call yesterday from Josh at H&S informing me the auction was being cancelled for this item. If not for you, myself or someone else would have been stuck with an expensive "game issued" bat or BP? bat.

This Ripken item seems similar to that Ripken glove that was previously discussed. Questions surround both, and with "no use" you can make a good point for calling them "game issued" as "Game used" is in question.

I did receive an additional statement from Troy at MEARS.
    I look forward to Troy's explanation on how it got an "8" rating.

Rudy, I think you should get into the authentication business as it seems you must have better access to photos and videos.

Again, great work!

Andrew