Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Pedro Martinez - the new Michael Vick

Re: Pedro Martinez - the new Michael Vick

in the dominican , cock fighting is legal while in the united states , dog fighting is illegal. thats a huge difference.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    in the dominican , cock fighting is legal while in the united states , dog fighting is illegal. thats a huge difference.
    Rooster fighting and dog fighting are organized and carried out by socio-paths and psycho-paths. It makes no difference if its legal or not. Pedro, as well as Vick, are missing the empathy chip that most decent folks have. Prostitution is legal in Nevada. However, if you get the AIDS...then, you still got the AIDS. The judge and jury don't have a cure.

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post
    Rooster fighting and dog fighting are organized and carried out by socio-paths and psycho-paths. It makes no difference if its legal or not. Pedro, as well as Vick, are missing the empathy chip that most decent folks have. Prostitution is legal in Nevada. However, if you get the AIDS...then, you still got the AIDS. The judge and jury don't have a cure.
    I dont think you want to categorize the dominican culture as a culture full of sociopaths and pscho-paths. We need to respect culture differences. i dont see why Mr Martinez is being judged for doing what in his culture is accepted.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

I just saw a commercial on TV that said chicken nuggets were $0.25 at McDonalds. They ain't exactly man's best friend.

Some of you might know that I also run a boxing website locally in St. Louis, MO - I despise Roy Jones Jr. for many reasons - but this article really makes me sick. I agree that we should not judge the cultures of other countries...but inhumane is inhumane.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/mo...s_fight-3.html

He plays for an American team/league and I guess that means he should keep himself away from things that will make his team/league look bad in the eyes of Americans...especially since the Vick stuff happened.

Then again, Pedro has never held himself to the general consensus of polite behavior.

In DR, this stuff happens. Since it happened over there - and it is legal over there...let him be.

My two bits.
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

In my opinion people that take part in dog fighting, cock figting or any other form of fighting involving innocent parties are total cowards. Those people don't have the balls to get in a ring themselves so they have to be tough and let animals do their fighting for them. Mike Vick, Pedro Martinez and everyone associated with that animal fighting are just pure scum. I don't care if it is legal in other countries you have to be messed up in the head to get enjoyment out of something like that.

The only way I would like to see Vick play football again is if he is held accountable for his play on the field just like he did with dogfighting. If he does not perform well after each game his is taken and held under water, electrocuted and whatever other torture comes to mind. The first time his team loses he pays for it with his life just like he did with those dogs.

Dave,

Thanks for the article about Roy "I've been hit in the head one too many times and am know incredibly stupid" Jones Jr. Why on earth would you out yourself especially given todays circumstances AND with the government becoming this overbearing force that has taken aim at professional sports. Idiot.

I, too, agree about respecting other cultures and their traditions....and while Pedro does represent a MLB club, he is a role model whether he likes it or not and that his behavior will be seen and viewed as an American and put into whatever context, cultural or not, as the viewing public chooses. Will his next contract be the first to have a "no cock fighting clause"?! ...in the near future no cheating, drinking, and doping clauses...well no cheating and drinking

wade

1. "hey it's legal so it's ok"

in the 1600s it was legal to own a slave. cockfighting was legal in louisiana until 2007. i guess all the people who felt it was ethical in 2005 did a 180 in 2007 and suddenly felt it wasn't ethical huh? or was it always unethical and louisiana was just late to the party in realizing the obvious? the issue isn't of legality. it's about acting like a decent, civilized human being with a modicum of ethics.

2. "it's part of their culture!"

stoning a person to death for adultery currently enjoys a role in some cultures. anti-semitism was an accepted part of germany's culture in the early 40s. at one point, racism was a commonly accepted and embraced part of american culture.

defending morally reprehensible behavior on the grounds of legality and culture didn't fly in the nuremburg trials either.

as for the nuggets, there's likely a difference between killing an animal to eat it and watching its slow, torturous death simply for some chuckles.

rudy.

Banned

Respecting other cultures is one thing!!!

but being inhumane whether it is here in the U.S. or in Dominican republic is still inhumane it is universal no matter where you go.

Just because it is a loowed doesnt make it right.

Just because Pedro feels he can do it in Dominican Republic and can't do it here doesnt mean when he steps off his flight to come into the U.S. his morals change, he still feels its ok to let them fight, he just knows he cant do it here in the U.S.
    But its still ok with him and no matter what country your in it still doesnt sit well with me to abuse animals.