Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: "FOR SALE" Section ???

Just to play devil's advocate for GUU...

So, there is a Matt Morris jersey up for auction this time around...by the last day of the auction, the jersey is up to $400. I know that I paid $170 for my Morris jersey with team paperwork - and I decide that I want to list it in the FOR SALE section during the last day of bidding for $250. Now that there is another jersey for sale - that is equal or greater quality for much less, I remove a potential bidding war if someone buys my jersey- and possibly take money out of a consigner's pocket (and GUU). If I had been the consigner...I think I would complain, and complain royally.

This site is a great tool for all of us, but it's not free to run. Memberships are only part of it. To undertake an auction the way these guys do it is daunting, and they deserve to be given comission for the work it takes to put it together and follow through after it is over.

I understand why they are temporarily removing the FOR SALE section.
    It saddens me - but I know why it's being done. But, because of all of the wonderful communication I have here - and education I have received...I will be patient and wait until it comes back.

Dave
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by bigtruck260 View Post

So, there is a Matt Morris jersey up for auction this time around...by the last day of the auction, the jersey is up to $400. I know that I paid $170 for my Morris jersey with team paperwork - and I decide that I want to list it in the FOR SALE section during the last day of bidding for $250. Now that there is another jersey for sale - that is equal or greater quality for much less, I remove a potential bidding war if someone buys my jersey- and possibly take money out of a consigner's pocket (and GUU). If I had been the consigner...I think I would complain, and complain royally.
    You hit the nail on the head right there. It wouldn't be fair to the consignors to have the for sale section open.

I would suggest just posting in the Wanted forum if you are looking for something. To leave the site just because they are protecting their consignors is silly.
    Always on the lookout for Garin Cecchini game used items especially Greenville Drive and Salem Red Sox jerseys.
    I accept PM's so shoot me a message.

If you come to this forum just for the For Sale and Wanted sections, then you are really missing out on the value of this website. If you have been posting on this forum for a while, you should have known the For Sale section would be disappearing until the auction was over. Chris even made that announcement a few days ago. I for one am consigning an item and would be extremely upset to find someone using the auction to undercut pricing on an item they were selling.

I would recommend everyone take the time to read the discussion sections. You might just save yourself a lot of money in the future.

Mike

Amen Mike - I have learned so much about football lids and jerseys in the past six months - it's just ridiculous..........the information embedded within the various sections of the Forum is unbelievable..........The Namath helmet discussion was just fantastic.................

Quote Originally Posted by bigtruck260 View Post

This site is a great tool for all of us, but it's not free to run. Memberships are only part of it. To undertake an auction the way these guys do it is daunting, and they deserve to be given comission for the work it takes to put it together and follow through after it is over.

I understand why they are temporarily removing the FOR SALE section.
    It saddens me - but I know why it's being done. But, because of all of the wonderful communication I have here - and education I have received...I will be patient and wait until it comes back.

Dave
    Then just make a rule you are not alowed to post any items of the same players that are in the auction. Thay way there is no conflict as with your scenario..I can see both sides, but in the end a for sale section will not dillute the auction prices much, if any

Quote Originally Posted by PK View Post
    Then just make a rule you are not alowed to post any items of the same players that are in the auction. Thay way there is no conflict as with your scenario..I can see both sides, but in the end a for sale section will not dillute the auction prices much, if any
    Again, you have some gray area... a line needs to be drawn somewhere. Suppose I am in the market for a 1980s Mets jersey, because I want that kind of jersey to add to my collection. I am thinking about bidding on the Davey Johnson jersey that's in the current GUU auction, but with 1 day to go, along comes a same era Bud Harrelson jersey on the for sale board at $100 cheaper. I decide that I want the Bud Harrelson instead... I buy a jersey that meets my buying want. The GUU auction consigner loses on a potential bidder. My point is that not everyone has the same collecting needs, and to allow some items to be listed on a for sale board and disallow others will directly hurt some auction sellers. I don't have a problem letting this board go during the duration of the auction. It's really the only way we can fairly level the playing field, and it's not that we haven't been forewarned with plenty of notice...

Nick give me a holler later if you get a chance....

I also love the For Sale section and bought great items from it.But I will still be looking at this site everyday like I have done since Oct 05.I do hope the For Sale Section does come back soon though.

Quote Originally Posted by TNTtoys View Post
    Again, you have some gray area... a line needs to be drawn somewhere. Suppose I am in the market for a 1980s Mets jersey, because I want that kind of jersey to add to my collection. I am thinking about bidding on the Davey Johnson jersey that's in the current GUU auction, but with 1 day to go, along comes a same era Bud Harrelson jersey on the for sale board at $100 cheaper. I decide that I want the Bud Harrelson instead... I buy a jersey that meets my buying want. The GUU auction consigner loses on a potential bidder. My point is that not everyone has the same collecting needs, and to allow some items to be listed on a for sale board and disallow others will directly hurt some auction sellers. I don't have a problem letting this board go during the duration of the auction. It's really the only way we can fairly level the playing field, and it's not that we haven't been forewarned with plenty of notice...

That harrelson jersey will be put for sale somewhere else(eBay?) and you may end up spending your $ there. I would post items here before listing on eBay- now it goes straight to eBay w/o putting it out to board members 1st. I enjoyed the For Sale section, not only to enhance my collection, but also to see what else is out there. Also of note- after last auction there was not going to be a "For Sale" section. There was supposed to be a big change and a newly formatted system to sell items on the site. Members asked for the FS section and it was put back with the thought that the new system would be out shortly. Mods said that the change would be made in Dec(I think). Whatever happened to that???
    kelly

For those of you new to the site, this is an old topic. It gets taken down when there's an auction. Its not a big deal and if you only come here for the "for sale" section and feel the need to leave, dont let the door hit ya. The people that run this forum do this out of their own pockets and for the love of the hobby. If all you want is a for sale section, go read the classifieds. If you actually wish to contribute something to the hobby, then stick around.

Jim