Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Will the future hobby dismiss all non photomatched items?

Quote Originally Posted by freddiefreeman5 View Post
    I only collect for my own enjoyment so I could careless what the "hobby" cares about.
    Same here. I got into it to have fun more than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulligans View Post
    I like to start with solid paperwork and then try to photo match it......

Last year I purchased a high end football Jersey which was perfectly photo matched in 4 locations including recognizable staining, hit marks and a one of a kind nameplate location. It also came with a letter of provenance which was weak, but one just the same.

After some questions arose, One thing led to another and I spent a year in court with this well known forger. I ultimately prevailed and received all of my money back plus some.

Just because it is a great photo match doesn't always mean it's the real deal....the forger I dealt with went through painstaking detail to make this Jersey PERFECT.....all he had to do was find the pictures first to work from.

I truly learned a lot from my experience.......
    If I remember correctly it might have been a Brady gamer worn in the playoffs vs. the Jets? There was a thread about it and the give-away was how the tail was trimmed-i think. It was a really good forgery though! It is amazing what extent people will go to make $$$$. I am glad that it worked itself out although court and lawyers cannot be cheap. It must also be quite stressful.

You may not be able to provide the forum with any details of the court or legal battle but I think that knowing how hard it is to get your $ back might be an important lesson to every forum member. Doing one's homework is oh so crucial in this hobby! In fact by NOT doing my homework I sent back a perfectly good jersey that I regret to this very day. I was lucky enough (or unlucky in this case!) that the seller quickly refunded my money.

The fact that there is another thread up now trying to match the TO shirt supposedly worn vs. the Jets but cannot be matched to that game is interesting. The shirt has been matched to two other games but not the one it was supposedly worn in!!! Even from a source as reputable as JO a good photo-match is not easy.

Always buying 49ers shirts!
    paul
    garciajones@yahoo.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mulligans View Post
    I like to start with solid paperwork and then try to photo match it......

Last year I purchased a high end football Jersey which was perfectly photo matched in 4 locations including recognizable staining, hit marks and a one of a kind nameplate location. It also came with a letter of provenance which was weak, but one just the same.

After some questions arose, One thing led to another and I spent a year in court with this well known forger. I ultimately prevailed and received all of my money back plus some.

Just because it is a great photo match doesn't always mean it's the real deal....the forger I dealt with went through painstaking detail to make this Jersey PERFECT.....all he had to do was find the pictures first to work from.

I truly learned a lot from my experience.......

WOW MULLIGANS! I'm so sorry. I'm currently going through the same thing with what was supposed to be a game worn Chad Pennington helmet! They guy scammed me and I shipped the Helmet back to him in hopes to get my money back.

I hope the guy who forged your jersey isin't who I'm thinking of

Banned

Just shows that nothing is foolproof.
    Even if I see the player take the jersey off and he signs it in front of me, the only person who will know its real is me and the player.

Photomatching is just like doing your homework. Just becuase some MLB Authenticator puts something in a database, should I believe it? Nobody is perfect and EVERYONE makes mistakes. Here is an example FJ593185. Can someone tell me what the problem is??

The guy who forged the Tom Brady Jersey was Steve Misturini. He hangs out here as well as many other Sports memorabilia websites and ebay. The problem is he works under many different aliases and no one even knows that they are dealing with him.

It didn't cost me a dime to file criminal charges against him and force him to come Massachsetts to defend himself. Instead of a long drawn out battle, we settled but unfortunately he just keeps on going with his scam......

Quote Originally Posted by freddiefreeman5 View Post
    I only collect for my own enjoyment so I could careless what the "hobby" cares about.
    Exactly. The very question - will "the hobby" reject this or that - implies that all collectors are of a like mind, identical habits and standards, and a comparable level of anal-retentiveness.

And, as Mulligan pointed out - and I don't know how this very important point keeps getting missed, in "photo-matching" discussions - it takes only a very small investment in time and effort to create (or re-create) an item in a photo, especially given the blurry, poor quality images that the validity of most "photo-matches" seem to hinge on.

If collecting "high end" stuff is such a stressful, worrisome thing to someone, maybe the answer is to collect something else. Hobbies are supposed to be fun...right?

I was just thinking about this the other day.

People will do their homework and collect what they want to but those who are looking strictly to re-sell and make money will be trying to match everything in sight.

Even some collectors who arent in it to re-sell just like to know when the said item was used and if anything significant happened while using it.

Sellers putting a premium on photomatched items isnt too crazy. I would say depending on the match it may add 20% at the most.

Now depending on what the player accomplished while using the item that is photomatched is a different story. In that case the seller can jack the price up or down all they want.
    Collecting current Brewers players and Prospects

brewergamer28@yahoo.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]