Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Braves make trade with teen for Chipper's 450th HR

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphins23 View Post
    And this is why baseball is where it is today. (Lowest ratings in the nation as far as sports)
    I said major sports

Football
    basketball
    hockey
    baseball
    Not once you said that

And take the Marlins for instance. Some fan base 305 people at a game this year. My dolphins who play in the same stadium draw a lot more and they are horrid. Why is that?
    The Marlins play how many home games in a season? 81. Your Dolphins? 0. The Miami Dolphins? 8. That's a big chunk as to why.

Banned

http://bizofbaseball.com/index.php?o...ion&Itemid=122

Heres another credited source. MLB itself!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LastingsMilledge85 View Post
    Not once you said that

The Marlins play how many home games in a season? 81. Your Dolphins? 0. The Miami Dolphins? 8. That's a big chunk as to why.

If the Dolphins played 1000 games there a season they would draw more then 300 fans.

This is a great article that breaks down the MLB, NHL and NBA rankings by market. I think they do not include the NFL due to it's on top of all of them.

MLB does better in every market except LA, Boston (NBA), DC, Pittsburgh (NHL) in cities with both an MLB and NHL/NBA team.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2010...r-nba-mlb-and/

Banned

Lastings I understand you love baseball and your going to defend it and I would do the same if I loved the sport. So I'm not saying there are no fans out there. What I'm saying is the Avg fan will not watch a baseball game over a football fan. Not talking the Die hards who grew up going to the games and watching the games when they were great! That ended in the 90's for me though.

And If you can honestly say that the game is a better sport today than it was in 1980's than thats your opinion.

Now I ask Lastings. Is the sport better today? Or better back in the 80's-90's

If the Dolphins played 1000 games there a season they would draw more then 300 fans.

Is this a joke? 1000 games, I know you are exaggerating but your numbers are laughable. The Marlins averaged 18,770 fans per game in 2009 (2010 stats aren't released yet). It's going to take a lot more than 300 fans per game to reach that number. The Marlins are in the worst market for baseball, so you are comparing the worst team attendance to a middle-market NFL team.

Lastings I understand you love baseball and your going to defend it and I would do the same if I loved the sport. So I'm not saying there are no fans out there. What I'm saying is the Avg fan will not watch a baseball game over a football fan. Not talking the Die hards who grew up going to the games and watching the games when they were great! That ended in the 90's for me though.
    I love baseball and football, but I'm going to stand behind sanity and realism. I'm not sticking up for baseball per say. There's a reason why I rarely post on here anymore, and posts like these speak volumes. But when I see ridiculous false statements on here, someone has to stand up.

Now I ask Lastings. Is the sport better today? Or better back in the 80's-90's
    Well, the '90s was the steroids era, so the sport wasn't better, but the homeruns flocked people to the games and television. '80s? Wasn't watching.

I said major sports

Football
    basketball
    hockey
    baseball

And take the Marlins for instance. Some fan base 305 people at a game this year. My dolphins who play in the same stadium draw a lot more and they are horrid. Why is that?
    well first and foremost you are talking about 81 home games a year vs 8 so of course more people are gonna show up.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by OaklandAsFan View Post
    well first and foremost you are talking about 81 home games a year vs 8 so of course more people are gonna show up.
    No I know you guys are right. I guess its a hard argument when dealing with opinions.

I just feel baseball dose not have the appeal to me that it once had. Just my opinion. I used to love baseball growing up because it was an outdoor summer sport that was awsome to go watch. But now I just can't stomach it anymore. I guess It's because I'm young and need more action to keep attention spane. They say with age you learn to appreciate the pace of baseball a lot more. So maybe when I'm in my 40's-50's (taken I live that long) I will appreciate the game more than I do now.

With the advent of digital cable, television ratings have become somewhat diluted. With 500 or so channels, the population base is spread out over many more choices than even ten years ago. Attention spans are not what they used to be either, too many choices and distractions. Personally, last season I never got through an entire NBA game, and I think NHL is unwatchable on t.v. A truer measure of the sport popularity might be attendance to games, check those figures.

ok. what about thew chipper ball trade? she shouldn't have gave in. screw them! i would have gone to the media or someone to bring this cheap stunt out.
    the dumbies running mlb are nothing more than greedy bastards who don't care about anyone but themselves, and it is obvious and it shows. selig and everyone else are deadbeats.