Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Theories on Steiner Soriano?

Hello everyone

The folks at Yankees Steiner are selling a Alfonso Soriano game used 2001 Yankees #12 jersey. Here's the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yankees-2001-12-...QQcmdZViewItem

I wrote to Bob Malandro from Steiner to point out that the #2 is a different style than what the Yanks use. Compare it to the Clemens they're selling

Soriano
    Name:  12.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  16.8 KB
    Clemens
    Name:  22.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  7.4 KB

Bob says it definitely came from the Yankees clubhouse, there's no evidence of a number change, so his theory is the Yankees may have had it done outside of their regular jersey order. Any ideas of what this jersey is? Any photos of the Yankees using numbering like this?

Eric
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Banned

Re: Theories on Steiner Soriano?

I think it belongs in the same category as the Giambi bat. But of course it is not Steiner's fault it is the fault of some dope in the warehouse who just ships out what he's told. On all the Yankee jerseys in the marketplace has anyone ever seen a #2 like that? Can anyone photomatch Soriano in the jersey? With a #2 like that it should be easy. If it was really worn.
    Sarahsdad

That's the same "2" that was on the fake Mattingly, I think it was, that was shown on here a while back.

2001 soriano..#12 huh?

#12 in 2001 was clay bellinger and only clay bellinger.

in 2001, soriano wore #33 and only #33.

soriano in the 2001 world series:

rudy.

in 2001, the yankees home and road jerseys bore the AL 100th Anniversey patch on the right sleeve. as well, later in the 2001 season the yankees wore a black armband on the left sleeve for the WTC victims. i can understand how a game-issued jersey might not have the late season black armband but it didn't even come with the AL 100th Anniv. patch that they wore from the start of the season?

2001:

anyway, the first time soriano wore #12 was 2002.

rudy.

"anything is possible". it's possible that the yankees had a jersey made up locally and the local guy screwed up the 2. i've seen local shops screw up major league orders and have seen those messed up orders show up on the field. in the end, who knows what happened or why. its a little like this jersey:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...read.php?t=934

the anomaly should make it easy to photomatch. without a match though, it's just a wierd anomaly. i wouldn't want an unmatched anomaly in my collection. it's nothing but a big question mark. no need for such a jersey when there are plenty of perfect 10s to go around.

anyway, check these pics out. they're from old timers games at yankee stadium. notice the sleeve logos? i wonder where these jerseys ended up. mixed in with the gamers perhaps? yankee stadium sounds like a mess. saying "it came from yankee stadium" may not be enough.

rudy.

Banned

I too asked about the jersey and why the 2 was different and the situation with Soriano not wearing the jersey # until 2002 and this is the response I received

"Jersey was incorrectly listed as 2001, s/b 2002. Yes, font is inconsistent, but no evidence of # change, and it cam from Yankees clubhouse, as do all of our jerseys; not the first time that a number with a differnt font/style has shown up"

Interesting.....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kingjammy24 View Post
    anyway, check these pics out. they're from old timers games at yankee stadium. notice the sleeve logos? i wonder where these jerseys ended up. mixed in with the gamers perhaps? yankee stadium sounds like a mess. saying "it came from yankee stadium" may not be enough.

rudy.

Rudy as far as the old timers game Jerseys I have seen one or 2 of them at Steiners and are they mixed in with regular Game Jerseys from the ones I saw YES - BUT Bob does take his time to sort these out when he sees them come through and pulls them out and catergorizes them as Promotional since you dont know exactly where and when exactly they were used.

FYI- The jersey sold today for $806