Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Frank Thomas Bat Hunt Auctions

Anybody ever see a Mags with that particular tape job and MO marked on the knob?

I'm not a Magglio collector so I couldn't say to be sure. I know that isn't Thomas markings. I've got over 30 Thomas bats in my collection (spanning his entire career from 1990-2008)...and none of them are like that. Also, Thomas wasn't a taped knob kind of hitter...so I've always stayed away from bats with that.

And I still haven't received a response from ANYONE at Hunts. My email went out to two different email addresses per their email us link.

-wade

Thanks Wade, please post if you get a response. I also emailed.

Most disappointing part of this is that the Sox also gave a LOA. Pretty frightening. And is was marketed as having additional authenticity based on the Sox LOA. Instead of "game model" is was sold as "used by Thomas", which was why I jumped on it.

Banned

Question Re: Frank Thomas Bat Hunt Auctions

I wonder to just what extent that Hunt's is actually reviewing the game equipment items in the auction and to what extent they're just rubber stamping whatever the Sox tell them?

Dave Miedema

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    I wonder to just what extent that Hunt's is actually reviewing the game equipment items in the auction and to what extent they're just rubber stamping whatever the Sox tell them?

Dave Miedema
    I agree Dave. I have noticed a few auction sites and ebay sellers that just take the piece of paper and run with it.

Quote Originally Posted by WadeInBmore View Post
    I'm not a Magglio collector so I couldn't say to be sure. I know that isn't Thomas markings. I've got over 30 Thomas bats in my collection (spanning his entire career from 1990-2008)...and none of them are like that. Also, Thomas wasn't a taped knob kind of hitter...so I've always stayed away from bats with that.

And I still haven't received a response from ANYONE at Hunts. My email went out to two different email addresses per their email us link.

-wade
    Wade. you have an awesome collection of Thomas gears. One of the best player collections and of a hall of famer, no less. MO makes sense since MAgs was a teammate but I've had a few of his bats and just never came across those characteristics either.

I thought it was strange that in the listing they mentioned that it has the MO or what appears to be and didn't conclude that the bat may have been used by someone else. It's certainly not a Thomas trait...

Is the tape consistent with a Mags gamer? The 2000 era Mags bats I see online do not have that type of tape.

I have seen that tape job on Bo Jackson bats before.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil316 View Post
    I have seen that tape job on Bo Jackson bats before.
    Now that would be awesome! A Bryce Harper gamer I sold had same tape too. The 2000 Mags I see online does not have any tape. As the Thomas expert says he typically did not use tape. I did see a Thomas online with similar tape. I do not see any Mags with similar tape. Cannot find any bat with "MO" on knob. I cannot think of anything else this would mean. Mags probably would have written his number on the knob like other bats.

I will let everyone know what Hunt Auctions says about.

Quote Originally Posted by twarman17 View Post
    Now that would be awesome! A Bryce Harper gamer I sold had same tape too. The 2000 Mags I see online does not have any tape. As the Thomas expert says he typically did not use tape. I did see a Thomas online with similar tape. I do not see any Mags with similar tape. Cannot find any bat with "MO" on knob. I cannot think of anything else this would mean. Mags probably would have written his number on the knob like other bats.

I will let everyone know what Hunt Auctions says about.
    Just a thought... is it possible that it's:
    B
    O

as opposed to:
    MO?