Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Getting Game Used Equipment At Games........

Quote Originally Posted by camarokids View Post
    I find this a little hard to believe. Don't feel that way.

Some of the pretty girls I have known/met throughout my life, were really UGLY/MEAN people inside. The old saying beauty is only skin deep, can be true.

I have a tip for you!

Take some pictures of your collection. While talking to a player, tell them how you enjoy baseball and collecting. Tell them that you are a big fan. Then show them your pics of you collection. Then ask if they crack a bat can you have it for your collection.

I bet this works.

Case in point....

Spring 1997, a girl whom looked a little butch, sorry for the term. She had short hair, a little overweight, and had a girlfriend with her. Was she a lesbian? I don't know or care. She was not a swimsuit model for sure...

But she had a pic of her bat collection, she showed it to Mark Sweeney. He handed her the bat in his hands.

A moment later, I asked how did you do that, she showed me the pic of her bats.

Also let the players see you around the ballpark a few times first. Don't ask for a autograph every time or anything right away.

I have received quite a few bats asking players if they crack a bat and if I am around can I have it. I actually saw the players searching the stands by the dugout. Then walk over and hand me the bat.

Wilson Alvarez gave me a game used fielding glove. He came into my work, I struck up a conversation with him, I gave his daughter a lollipop. Then a couple of times later of seeing him at the training complex, I asked him if he had a old glove I could have. The rest is history....

Good luck....
    That's a really good idea. I think I'll try it next time I go to a baseball stadium. Thanks for putting a positive spin on this. I never would have thought to do any of this!
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    That's a really good idea. I think I'll try it next time I go to a baseball stadium. Thanks for putting a positive spin on this. I never would have thought to do any of this!
    Last year at Spring Training everyone was standing around the dug out area waiting for the players to come out. Don Cooper came out first and signed autographs. He words were "If you want the players to sign, use your manners" "Use Mr. , Please, and Thank you" You'll get further with that.

I don't know about everyone else but I give every player that takes the time to sign something for me a sincere "Thank You" after he is done

I can't stand people that get something signed and then don't even have enough decency to thank the player for doing so
    I collect Jay Bruce and Cincinnati Reds Minor League stuff

My email address: hakes89@gmail.com

Question Re: Getting Game Used Equipment At Games........

Lokee, do you mind sharing pix of your Mike Cameron GU jersey? You can also send them by e-mail if you prefer.

thx,
    thomaskirk@cinci.rr.com

Sean Casey gave me a broken bat, and Fernando Vina gave me one and traded me another one, Bo Hart traded me one.

Quote Originally Posted by 70to66 View Post
    Sean Casey gave me a broken bat, and Fernando Vina gave me one and traded me another one, Bo Hart traded me one.
    How'd you go about that?

Find out what the player likes, Bo Hart Liked a certain player growing up and I traded him a signed 8x10 of the player, Casey just gave me the bat, The Cardinals had a Fernando Vina bobblehead day and I traded him my bobblehead.

Here are a few more pointers;

Get good seats, preferably in the front row away from the aisle, where you wont be crowded or asked to move.

Make a connection with them. Joke around, talk smack about their teammates, basically be one of the guys.

Have things to barter with....you'd be suprised at how far trading a bag of peanuts will go.

Wear the visting team's colors, you will stick out and be much more likely to get things from them than being 1 of 10,000 home team fans.

Likewise, if you get your gf to try to get stuff for you...the away players are more open....well if you don't mind removing a hotel phone number from it...

---------

I've never asked for anything myself, but these are the things that I see that work. I leave all of that to my two year old son who simply waves and says hi and gets stuff.

I've spent a decent amount of times around various pro athletes, and this is a big thing for me and for most of them.

If you can help it, don't ask for an autograph. Talk to an athlete the way you would your next door neighbor...how are you doing, (if he's new to his current team) how do you like the city, stuff like that. I had a nice 30-minute discussion a few weeks ago with a pro athlete over whether organic food is more beneficial to the body than non-organic, where in town to find the best food, our mutual hatred of traffic in this area, etc.

I actually do own one of his jerseys, but I didn't show that to him until after we'd already talked.
    Looking for Duane Kuiper home run baseballs

When I ask for Autographs at Games or outside the Stadium I say MR to that Player even if he is younger then me and alot are.I have asked a few different times for Batting Gloves from Players and got turned down flat.I will have to try a few of these things this Year I am reading about.I sit up close alot when I go to Games so that might not be that hard to talk to the First Baseman.