Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Clemens GU BB -- Check the Story!

I called the first number - message left

second number was disconnected

I too agree the SHOULD be returned. My only thought is that the ball is not really stolen. If i send AROD a $100 card and ask him to sign it and never get it send back i am the only one at falt. AROD is not required to do anything and nor are the RedSox. If you mail something out without any prior arraingements then you should understand the risks.

Does a fan have automatic right to own a piece of equipment caught within the stadium? I don't think so. It's true teams regularly allow fans to keep balls the catch, but these are essentially gifts. In the old days, fans weren't allowed to keep a football caught at an NFL game, and security would go into the stands to retrieve each ball.

I should add that I agree with ifirocked that you can't without warning or contact mail something to someone, and expect them to perform your surprise task (a task that is a benefit only to you, mind you) and return the item. If one could do this, I would send you guys my dirty laundry and expect it back clean by Wednesday.

One very last point. If the Red Sox had cashed the returned postage check, then they would have been required to return the ball.

in awnser to your question David, YES fans have automatic right to own a piece of equipment caught within the stadium. This was decided many many years ago for things like foul balls.

Okay, then. Under your other point, I would consider the ball essentially unclaimed goods. If she had stopped by to pick it up, she could have it back, but the Red Sox didn't steal it as they weren't under obligation to do anything including mail it back.

rights to the ball are given to the fans when they catch it. rights to the ball are given up when they choose to mail it in.

Quote Originally Posted by ifirocked View Post
    rights to the ball are given to the fans when they catch it. rights to the ball are given up when they choose to mail it in.
    none of us know whether or not the original owner tried to retrive the ball. Look at mlb.com today. I have read many posts where the customer service is horrible. What makes anyone think that it was any better back then through the mail? Perhaps the original owner tried via written letters through the mail to retrieve the ball with no success. None of us will ever know.
    Bill Heagy
    heagysports.com
    Go Phillies !

Post Re: Clemens GU BB -- Check the Story!

Quote Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
    I called the first number - message left
    Nice job. Hope something good comes of it.