Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Re: Frank Thomas HOF rookie game worn cap

Quote Originally Posted by stasman View Post
    And I think I trust a player recognizing something that personally belonged to him more than someone sitting behind a desk looking up info on the Internet. I've heard stories that a lot of athletes won't add " game used" when signing too.. I guess you have to trust the athlete.
    Yep, just ask Wade Boggs.

There will always be those "experts" who don't believe you belong in their little club.

Take your hat and enjoy it and know that you just experienced something that few will ever get to experience.

You proved your case and are a much better man than I am in keeping your peace and letting it play out.

I have a full set of AJ Pierzynski's catching gear and as soon as I showed it to him he immediately said they were his and signed them game used.
    Did you get them framed by chance? I saw a set autographed and framed at a Rosemont show sometime shortly after the 2005 World Series. Just wondering if it was perhaps your set. The set I saw was not tampered with like A.J. does now with his equipment. I have one of his chest protectors (believed to be worn in Buehrle's no-hitter) which has his initials by the neck cut off. He had no problem signing it for me at a free signing, by the way, which I found weird. He doesn't like his stuffed sold, even for charity, but then signed it no problem for me and confirmed that he was the one who cut off his initials.

Again, my intent was not to question the Thomas hat. I'm glad your experience was such a great one. As cool as the hat is, your encounter with the Big Hurt is even better. It just makes the hat even cooler.

I recommend contacting the Hall of Fame as soon as possible as they put together special exhibits for the new inductees.

And I think I trust a player recognizing something that personally belonged to him more than someone sitting behind a desk looking up info on the Internet. I've heard stories that a lot of athletes won't add " game used" when signing too.. I guess you have to trust the athlete.
    Well, here's an idea.

Stop posting threads asking the advice of people who sit behind desks and look things up on the internet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Quote Originally Posted by salukidave View Post
    Did you get them framed by chance? I saw a set autographed and framed at a Rosemont show sometime shortly after the 2005 World Series. Just wondering if it was perhaps your set. The set I saw was not tampered with like A.J. does now with his equipment. I have one of his chest protectors (believed to be worn in Buehrle's no-hitter) which has his initials by the neck cut off. He had no problem signing it for me at a free signing, by the way, which I found weird. He doesn't like his stuffed sold, even for charity, but then signed it no problem for me and confirmed that he was the one who cut off his initials.

Again, my intent was not to question the Thomas hat. I'm glad your experience was such a great one. As cool as the hat is, your encounter with the Big Hurt is even better. It just makes the hat even cooler.

I recommend contacting the Hall of Fame as soon as possible as they put together special exhibits for the new inductees.
    No. That set wasn't mine. But my chest protector also doesn't have the AJ. He was very curious where I obtained them before he signed them.

Quote Originally Posted by commando View Post
    Well, here's an idea.

Stop posting threads asking the advice of people who sit behind desks and look things up on the internet.
    Sorry.. No disrespect. I really appreciated all the info and guidance.

Sorry.. No disrespect. I really appreciated all the info and guidance.
    No problem, sir.... I know several members took the time to attempt a photo match for the cap and did other research, having no vested interest in the matter. Thomas collectors gave their opinions on the autograph, which we know can look a little "off" when trying to sign on any type of fabric.

Thankfully this story has a happy ending and a true treasure has been found! You da man!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Quote Originally Posted by commando View Post
    No problem, sir.... I know several members took the time to attempt a photo match for the cap and did other research, having no vested interest in the matter. Thomas collectors gave their opinions on the autograph, which we know can look a little "off" when trying to sign on any type of fabric.

Thankfully this story has a happy ending and a true treasure has been found! You da man!
    And for that I'm very thankful. My reference was more towards when you send in an item for authentication and somebody in a room says it's not authentic. I just thought when an athlete physically holds and looks at something that belonged to him, that's the ultimate verification. .

Quote Originally Posted by TwinLakesPark View Post
    I will make a deal with you. Send it in to PSA/DNA for authentication of the signature. If it comes back real (which it will not), I will pay the authentication fee.
    Don't forget to send TwinLakes your invoice...

That's Right!!! Haha. I forgot about that.