Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Question on Chamberlain Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by otismalibu View Post
    That link helps. I don't believe Wilson even made Sixers jerseys from that season.

Blades
    I would think a "photo-match" would be near impossible. There are numerous "style-matches" on Getty (although with a different font as previously mentioned).
    The photo of the shoulder straps that you posted is not consistent with any 50s or 60s durene hoop jersey or any Sixers jersey from the 63-64 season.

I don't believe Wilson even made Sixers jerseys from that season.
    Don't some older hoops jersey have only Pearson tags? Did Pearson manufacture those jerseys?

Doc era (except for his final season) 76ers jerseys were made by Wilson, but would have the Pearson tag if Pearson did the numbers/letters. I was told that jerseys going directly from Wilson to the 76ers (already attributed to players) only had the Wilson tag. Not sure if that's accurate or not.

And don't forget to check the tagging closely.

Banned

Going up in Philly, I had the pleasure of going into Pearson Sporting Goods more times than I can remember. Our little league uniforms came from Pearsons as did our baseball gloves, sneakers, caps, baseballs and basketballs.

Back in the day, there were Mom and Pop stores throughout the City but Pearson's was one of the biggest stores around. When you walked into the store, on the left hand side, they had a gigantic wooden board that displayed all of the jerseys they made for the various Philadelphia Professional, college and semi-pro teams. Being a kid, I was just amazed at the Flyers, 76ers, Eagles, Firebirds, Blazers and Big 5 team jerseys that were displayed on the wall.

Every now and again, the store would sell jerseys (I specifically remember seeing 76ers jerseys) that were returned from the teams and yes, they did have a place in the back that had a whole slew of sewing machines.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

Jim
    From my research, Pearson distributed uniforms made by Wilson, Spanjian, Coane and others. I realize that they applied names, numbers and crests. Do you have knowledge that they actually produced the uniforms and jerseys?

I am using this picture of 63-64 Sixers shorts tagging as my example. No other manufacturer's tag is present. The "36" size flag tag seems like it may be from another maker...but I am not sure. This kinda looks like the font that Coane used for size tags. No you know when Pearson moved from 1010 to 1128 Chestnut. That would definitely help date certain tagging?

Banned

I do NOT know if they actually produced jerseys. Pearson sold blanks of all the team jerseys they provided to various teams in the Philadelphia area. These jerseys just had the team logo on them. In another part of the store, they had a "locked" large display case where they had team jerseys that were numbered and lettered and these jerseys were far and away more expensive than the blanks.

I don't know about the Sixers but I do know the Eagles had blank jerseys. I saw them in Franklin Field and later at the Vet. If they needed a new jersey and they could not cannibalize a jersey (s) from their inventory, they would send a blank jersey (s) out and have the work done locally. Did Pearson's do the work? Can't say.

I posted a ad from a Eagles program from 1966. Note the address.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I will quickly confess that I do not collect basketball jerseys and know absolutely nothing about the sizing of basketball jerseys, but was Wilt wearing a size 44 back in that era?

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for game-worn Atlanta Falcons jerseys, World Football League uniforms, and Darren Lewis and Willie McGee game-used items.

Quote Originally Posted by G1X View Post
    I will quickly confess that I do not collect basketball jerseys and know absolutely nothing about the sizing of basketball jerseys, but was Wilt wearing a size 44 back in that era?
    Wilt wore a a size 40 in the early 1960s. With extra length, although.

1959, size 40

btph,

Thanks for the jersey size information and photos. Your knowledge and input is always much appreciated.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for game-worn Atlanta Falcons jerseys, World Football League uniforms, and Darren Lewis and Willie McGee game-used items.