Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Re: NBA All-Star Jerseys

No l think those are all great points Reid. I was unaware you could consign to Meigray? I knew they did photomatch letters, but i still have been unable to figure out pricing or how that works....Barry???

Yeah you are probably right about next year too...all it takes is 2 people wanting it, and then it all comes down to who blinks.

Maybe Meigray can get the players to change each quarter next year...haha

Barry also mentioned something about there being multiple issued jerseys in different sizes, that the players tried on to see what fit best.....so well see what happens to those.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by worldchamps View Post
    Reid,

Just random thoughts on this....for a hoops fan it is great to see so much dialogue on here

Do you really think this auction makes our collections/other items go up? I am not totally disagreeing with you, but for example, i have a Tim Duncan rookie (with memorial stripe - you rarely see that). Is that worth more or less than an allstar jersey, you could debate either side, but i dont think i could get $13,000 for it?

I do wonder if 1 person buying them all, does hurt the value/hobby. "Legal" will you be likely to bid that high again next year? Honestly i dont think i will even bid next year, it kind of seems pointless.

As far as exquiste, if you know this guys history, he got his name bc he BUYS UD exquiste cards. All those crazy prices you see for Lebron 1/1 cards or Jordan or any exquiste card was this guy buying them, then he got into game used. Correct me if I am wrong but he only buys from nba auctions, i have never seen him buy on ebay game used, and i am not sure if he is a player at any of the auction houses since they dont release winners names.

I emailed him once, and he was a really nice guy. I wish i still had a good email address for him, not to buy or sell, just would be a good contact to talk hoops to.
    I will go higher I honestly went into the auction expecting to walk away with the Duncan and at least one other high end jersey for my 13k. I knew that Exquiste bid on everything but I doubted someone would pay that much for every single jersey no matter how loaded they are. Keep in mind though the prices are very inflated because if he let me win one of the jerseysat my final bid and my money was spent I would have stopped bidding and he would have gotten the rest of the jerseys much cheaper as me and him were the only ones throwing out the high numbers except someone else bid 10 grand on D-Rose.

Allstar and finals jerseys are worth more in my mind because they are from a high moment in a player's career and there are not that many of them likely ever to be on the market. If a guy is a 10x allstar that means only 10 allstar jerseys will ever be on the market. (assuming he keeps the second half ones he is issued). And most players make it to only one finals if they are lucky. Take for example Iverson his career appears done he played in one Finals in a HOF career or Dwade the Heat are not likely to get back anytime soon. Some great players like Nash have not even been to one Finals. I think obviously milestone jerseys are in the same league. What would someone pay for Kobe's 81 point game jersey? As for your Duncan a rookie year jersey of a HOFer top 20 player ever is defintely extremely valuable. Is it authenticated by anyone? And I have seen Exquisite buy stuff from Ebay in the past since they scrambled the winning bidder ids idk if he has lately though.

thanks Barry.

These jerseys might have went for more because they are the preview of the new age materials that will be incorporated for all teams jerseys next season. not really impressed that the names, numbers and team logos on the back collar are heat pressed but that's the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by worldchamps View Post
    No l think those are all great points Reid. I was unaware you could consign to Meigray? I knew they did photomatch letters, but i still have been unable to figure out pricing or how that works....Barry???

Yeah you are probably right about next year too...all it takes is 2 people wanting it, and then it all comes down to who blinks.

Maybe Meigray can get the players to change each quarter next year...haha

Barry also mentioned something about there being multiple issued jerseys in different sizes, that the players tried on to see what fit best.....so well see what happens to those.
    aren't the Timberwolves Garnett jerseys co-signed, maybe Barry could clarify if that's the case. at least I thought that was the case with hockey jerseys that have an asterik next to them.

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481 View Post
    I will go higher I honestly went into the auction expecting to walk away with the Duncan and at least one other high end jersey for my 13k. I knew that Exquiste bid on everything but I doubted someone would pay that much for every single jersey no matter how loaded they are. Keep in mind though the prices are very inflated because if he let me win one of the jerseysat my final bid and my money was spent I would have stopped bidding and he would have gotten the rest of the jerseys much cheaper as me and him were the only ones throwing out the high numbers except someone else bid 10 grand on D-Rose.

Allstar and finals jerseys are worth more in my mind because they are from a high moment in a player's career and there are not that many of them likely ever to be on the market. If a guy is a 10x allstar that means only 10 allstar jerseys will ever be on the market. (assuming he keeps the second half ones he is issued). And most players make it to only one finals if they are lucky. Take for example Iverson his career appears done he played in one Finals in a HOF career or Dwade the Heat are not likely to get back anytime soon. Some great players like Nash have not even been to one Finals. I think obviously milestone jerseys are in the same league. What would someone pay for Kobe's 81 point game jersey? As for your Duncan a rookie year jersey of a HOFer top 20 player ever is defintely extremely valuable. Is it authenticated by anyone? And I have seen Exquisite buy stuff from Ebay in the past since they scrambled the winning bidder ids idk if he has lately though.
    Legal, how do you know that someone else would not have stepped in and bid more if you had not bid as high as you did? I know one person (a friend, not GUU member) who definitely would have. It's impossible to know what the realized prices would have been if you had won the first two auctions you bid on and then decided to not bid on any further lots. There are definitely some other hardcore collectors in this scramble besides Exquisite and you. Digger26, Sonny25, and ChannelingTheTruth are just a few who immediately come to mind, but there are several others. Not saying you're wrong, just saying that there is no way to know.
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by mbenga28 View Post
    thanks Barry.

These jerseys might have went for more because they are the preview of the new age materials that will be incorporated for all teams jerseys next season. not really impressed that the names, numbers and team logos on the back collar are heat pressed but that's the way it is.
    It would really surprise me to find out that this factor played a significant role in the bidding.
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sportscentury View Post
    Legal, how do you know that someone else would not have stepped in and bid more if you had not bid as high as you did? I know one person (a friend, not GUU member) who definitely would have. It's impossible to know what the realized prices would have been if you had won the first two auctions you bid on and then decided to not bid on any further lots. There are definitely some other hardcore collectors in this scramble besides Exquisite and you. Digger26, Sonny25, and ChannelingTheTruth are just a few who immediately come to mind, but there are several others. Not saying you're wrong, just saying that there is no way to know.
    Well on most I did not place bids until there was less than five minutes left and then we went back and forth for awhile with the countdown clock restarting without anyone else jumping in. And I missed a few as someone else said the Carmello, Billups and Durant went for much, much less. I know there are other hardcore collectors I just think alot of people were scared off by Exquiste on most of the jerseys. The exceptions seemed to be D-Rose who was over 10k before I jumped in and Lebron who went for over 20k who I did not place a bid on. I was speaking from an overall standpoint. If there had been a Kobe or a Shaq (very possibly last Allstar game had he been picked) then I think that those jerseys would have stimulated alot of bidding independent of me like the Lebron did.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mbenga28 View Post
    thanks Barry.

I think it was just people wanting them because they were allstar game jerseys. Honestly if they were made out of toliet paper I would have bid just as much.

In case folks are interested, NBA Auctions has put up the autographed pro-cuts of the All Star Game:

http://auctions.nba.com/cgi-bin/ncom...ccept=&gallery

FYI T-Mobile jerseys are now up, good luck to those bidding.