Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: Resale Values of Certified GU Items Have Officially Collapsed

Quote Originally Posted by hairyangryfella View Post
    I think you guys are missing part of the point... even if you're buying to keep, should there be a time when you need to sell to pay off something, you're almost certain to not even get close to what you paid for your item(s).
    You're absolutely right.... That really is the point. Even if you don't plan to resell something, you still could have used the overpaid money for something else that benefits you and your family.

Like I said earlier, most of us have overpaid for "select" items we really wanted (whatever that means to each of us). That's not the problem, and this hobby has always been that way.... The problem is the across-the-board inflated prices of EVERY new authenticated item that hits the market. Several companies that sell this stuff have already bitten the dust, and more will follow. Collectors cannot and will not pay these inflated prices for common, overproduced items that have little or no wear.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Generally, if you buy anything that has value and you decide to sell it at a later date, you will take a hit on it. Except for maybe gold and silver...

Quote Originally Posted by hairyangryfella View Post
    I think you guys are missing part of the point... even if you're buying to keep, should there be a time when you need to sell to pay off something, you're almost certain to not even get close to what you paid for your item(s).
    This is precisely how I feel. After picking up an awesome item, we say, "Hey, I'm never going to sell this piece, so who cares if I overpay!" While that may be true with a few items in our collection, at some point, we may find something better and want to move our previously untouchable items. I know that this has happened with me.

To begin with, I didn't care how much I spend on my Jeff Bagwell card collection, because I was sure I would never sell. However, as I discovered game-used and needed the money to purchase my grails, the baseball cards became expendable. And I'm lucky that I was even able to break even on my three most valuable cards.

I agree that game used is becoming how baseball cards used to be.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    To begin with, I didn't care how much I spend on my Jeff Bagwell card collection, because I was sure I would never sell. However, as I discovered game-used and needed the money to purchase my grails, the baseball cards became expendable. And I'm lucky that I was even able to break even on my three most valuable cards.
    Should be "spent." Sorry.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Quote Originally Posted by 42itus View Post
    Generally, if you buy anything that has value and you decide to sell it at a later date, you will take a hit on it. Except for maybe gold and silver...
    Gold is down 28% over the last two years... All depends on when you buy and when you sell. There is very little you can guarantee a return on in this world. If there was something you could guarantee a return on, an efficient market would price out that return to a fairly low yield. The closest thing to a guaranteed return of the cost of investment is a short term US Treasury Bill, and because of its safety, the yield is essentially near zero.

Collectible items carry significant risk. Most of it is a poor investment (high risk, low reward). If you are in a collector hobby to make money, you better be very selective.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wes Campbell

Banned

Indeed. But the thing is here that we're taking massive hits. I paid $952 plus shipping plus import fees for Richard Hamilton's Bulls Debut jersey with Christmas Day patch. I just sold it for $680 shipped (so about $618 after fees and postage). That's a massive loss, over what wasn't that long a period. But, I needed to sell it and I'm glad I did.

That's a big hit. I'm not much of a speculator, but if you want to buy items that won't lose value would it be safe to say to stay away from current players? Unless the player is a sure fire HOFer, you can probably assume that the value will do down after their playing days are over.

30% hit is pretty substantial, but one way to look at it is that although value was lost, the owner did get to enjoy it for a little while. I think it's very similar to artwork in that your display piece envokes an emotion. So the "hit" that you take is not a total loss if you were able to enjoy your piece.

Banned

That's a big hit. I'm not much of a speculator, but if you want to buy items that won't lose value would it be safe to say to stay away from current players? Unless the player is a sure fire HOFer, you can probably assume that the value will do down after their playing days are over.

30% hit is pretty substantial, but one way to look at it is that although value was lost, the owner did get to enjoy it for a little while. I think it's very similar to artwork in that your display piece envokes an emotion. So the "hit" that you take is not a total loss if you were able to enjoy your piece.
    Sadly I have neither the room, security or money to have my jerseys displayed or framed, so the amount of enjoyment is limited... and this is something I've realized, hence why I've been selling some of my unneeded pieces. It was a beautiful jersey, a stunning red Bulls jersey that I will miss. But, needs must. Just a shame to get back that "little" an amount. Definitely a learning process.

Just an observation here:

While some items have lost value due to 'over production' (for lack of a better term) and some have lost value because that 'can't miss' player in fact did miss, some items have dropped because of the player's off field issues (drugs, attitude towards fans, etc.)...

Case in point - A-Rod.

I was in Seattle last week and went to a few Sports Card/Memorabilia shops. One had a GU A-Rod Batting Glove from Upper Deck Authenticated. These use to move in the price range of anywhere from $300 to upwards of $500 per glove (not pair) - especially being UDA.

If I had wanted the glove, it could have been mine for $75.00.

My how the 'mighty' have fallen...