Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What do your spouses think of your game used collecting?

I was wondering how other game used collectors' spouses view their game used collecting. In particular, for those of you whose spouses give you resistance to purchasing, how do you handle this situation? My wife has taken the hard line and told me I am banned from buying more game used items. It is not about money. She feels that: 1) buying game used memorabilia is an addiction; 2) The memorabilia is junking up the house and taking over some of our common space; 3) The hobby is juvenile and not appropriate for grown men. My hobby has hence been mostly shut down, although she recently let me purchase a couple of small items for my birthday, and says I can also buy again later during Christmas. I've offered to store items in the closet and not on the walls, and I've told her that although I agree it is an addiction, I don't see any dangerous elements to it or ill health effects (on the contrary, the hobby has cheered me up on many a down day!), yet she won't budge on her position.

I would love to hear about other game used collector's experiences with their spouses, and how they handled it. Thanks!

Re: What do your spouses think of your game used collecting?

I couldn't be with a woman who didn't "understand" my hobby. I don't need her to be into it just let me do my thing. I don't think id want to be with someone who diminished my passion by calling it "childish" but that's just me. Luckily i've had no issues with this but it would suck to be married and get "the eye" everytime a package showed up.

Luckily my fiancé thinks Chris Herrmann is a good looking dude so she doesn't mind me putting Game Used items up as long as I have some of my framed pics of him up too! She hates knowing how much I spend so for her benefit everything costs 1/2 what I paid when she asks!!

My wife isn't too supportive but in fairness I have pretty much taken over the basement with GU jerseys. A few battles on the $$ I spend but we're not on welfare either. I guess just kind of an "understanding" with us.

My wife doesn't say a thing....however, my collection is confined to a closet currently. I break it out every now and then to admire it.
    With that being said, I have been able to turn the tables and am using the game used items as a negotiating chip - she wants to buy a bigger house and I have advised her that we won't buy a bigger house unless I can have a room in which to display my treasures (in the new house). Making lemonade out of lemons fellas.......

For years my wife just sorta tolerated it, no animosity or anything, just an occasional comment relating to how much space it might be taking up. Several years ago (5 or 6) she took a more, I guess tolerant and even participatory approach. She encouraged me to do a makeover of my study and was genuinely excited about a few additions to my collection. Now, granted, if I spent a really large amount on a jersey or helmet, that would be questioned I'm sure. But, she really doesn't raise too much fuss about it. Now, granted we have been married 35 years and we've both sorta "settled" into our respective hobbies and passions, but we both support and take active roles, as much as practical, in each other's hobbies. I really have to commend her for being a good sport about it for all this time.

My wife does not support my hobby of buying "dirty cloths" and broken bats but she does not hinder it either. She even buys me framed pictures to hang on the walls for birthdays and Christmas. She does not know how much I spend and I occasionally feel bad for buying something expensive.

My collection was relegated to one small corner of the house and a closet until recently. We just bought a house and I now have a man/fan cave (ooohhhh yeaaaa!!!!) that is not as big as I would have liked but its infinitely more than what I had. Bad thing is that now she will see just how much I have I will be posting pictures when I get it all set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Provencal View Post
    I am banned from buying more game used items
    Quote Originally Posted by Provencal View Post
    she recently let me purchase a couple of small items for my birthday, and says I can also buy again later during Christmas
    Nothing personal, but it seems as though your wife treats you more like a child than a husband. I can understand coming to an agreement when it comes to money spent, display space, and whatnot. To go as far as "banning" you from purchasing items, or telling you when you can and cannot buy stuff, seems completely ridiculous to me.

My wife will often ask "how much?", but no real issue other than that. I am respectful when it comes to displaying my items. I love my collection, but even I think having an entire home covered in collectibles, of any kind, comes off tacky.

I have our basement walls filled with stuff. Wife isn't in love with the stuff, but her office is filled with scrapbooking crap,so....

My wife supported me, but didn't really care for it much. But when I sold a piece and used the money to buy a chandelier for our foyer, she then saw the value and no longer had an issue with it
    Regards, Tony

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~