Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Re: I will NEVER buy from American Memorabilia after seeing this...

Quote Originally Posted by sportscentury View Post
    Dave,

Below is a quote by Rob Steinmetz (from the original thread about your Ripken glove: http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...ead.php?t=8394). I'm trying to balance Rob's statements in that thread and your statement here that "no Rawlings employee has stated that the glove had the wrong lining as was reported here earlier."

Any help?

Thanks,

Reid
    Hi Reid,

I am stating that incorrect information was presented and that no Rawlings employee ever confirmed or validated the theory that there was something wrong with the lining in the glove.

Regards,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by CollectGU View Post
    Hi Reid,

I am stating that incorrect information was presented and that no Rawlings employee ever confirmed or validated the theory that there was something wrong with the lining in the glove.

Regards,
    Dave
    Dave,

Thanks. In that case, I share your confusion as to what (if anything) is wrong with the glove.

Reid
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Reid,

With regard to the information shared about the lining of the Ripken glove, my information was obtained through Dennis Esken (and shared with his permission in this forum). As most know, Denny is widely regarded as the world's foremost authority on game used gloves.

I spoke with Denny again tonight to get his permission to make this follow-up post, and he stands behind the facts presented. According to Denny, he also shared this information with Bob Clevenhagen at Rawlings. To my knowledge, neither Denny nor Bob have authenticated the glove.

Best,
    Rob Steinmetz
    www.authenticgamers.com
    authenticgamers@aol.com

Paying top dollar for Chicago Cubs game used equipment!

Rob,

Thank you for this information (and thanks to Denny, as well). Sounds like a case of "he said, she said" (or "he said, he did not say," as the case may be). Like you, Rob, I have great respect for Denny's knowledge and integrity.

Again, thank you.

Best,
    Reid
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

I must admit that I owned a 1985 Home Red Sox Roger Clemens Gamer Jersey and once I did slip it on. But in my defense I did wear a t-shirt and all I did was stand there. I agree to me what American Memoabilia is doing is just poor business sense. Collectors are very particular and would like to assume that a jersey goes from a player straight to the collector.

My problem with this is, what if I really wanted one of those jerseys, and I bought it, would the image of some model wearing it be stuck in my mind?

Maybe the model's name is Gaylord Perry and this is a photomatch to show it was "photo-shoot" worn.

This is an interesting one... As some of you know, I am a big Packers memorabilia buyer and seller. I honestly can say, if this model was wearing a game-worn Max McGee or Jim Taylor jersey I would still bid as high as I could. The fact that she was wearing it would not affect my bidding at all.
    Just my take.
    Thank you,
    Chris Nerat

Quote Originally Posted by kneerat View Post
    This is an interesting one... As some of you know, I am a big Packers memorabilia buyer and seller. I honestly can say, if this model was wearing a game-worn Max McGee or Jim Taylor jersey I would still bid as high as I could. The fact that she was wearing it would not affect my bidding at all.
    Just my take.
    Chris,

Please don't take this the wrong way, but how much advertising does American Memorabilia do with your magazine (Sports Collectors Digest)? I subscribed to SCD for many years, but cancelled my subscription because it was frustrating to see nothing but incredibly positive stories about your advertisers, even when some of them were the centerpieces of great controversy and questionable activities. I'm not trying to be confrontational (I have great respect for many of the guys who work for SCD), but I have to call it as I see it, particularly since this new AMI marketing scheme is such a complete disaster.

Best,
    Reid

Reid,
    Trust me... This has nothing to do with any of that. Also, AMI doesn't advertise as much as they used to. I think toward the end of last year they started distributing and printing their own catalogs... We no longer do that for them.
    I bid in many auctions and I think that anyone who knows me will tell you that I would bid on any big Packers item whether it was worn by a mannequin, model or anything else. I am not going to say that I think the model idea will help sell an item, but it doesn't really bother me.

I am sorry to hear you let your subscription run out for those reasons.
    We have been adding new features in our magazine, even including a column from gameusedforum.com's Eric Stangel.
    Troy Kinunen and Dave Bushing have also contributed this year and other freelancers such as Joe Phillips and Kevin Glew have added some nice game-used memorabilia stories as of late. If you want to continue the discussion about SCD, you may want to send me a private email, call or start a new thread about this, as I wouldn't want to run the risk of hijacking this current topic.
    Thanks.
    Thank you,
    Chris Nerat

Quote Originally Posted by kneerat View Post
    Reid,
    Trust me... This has nothing to do with any of that. Also, AMI doesn't advertise as much as they used to. I think toward the end of last year they started distributing and printing their own catalogs... We no longer do that for them.
    I bid in many auctions and I think that anyone who knows me will tell you that I would bid on any big Packers item whether it was worn by a mannequin, model or anything else. I am not going to say that I think the model idea will help sell an item, but it doesn't really bother me.

I am sorry to hear you let your subscription run out for those reasons.
    We have been adding new features in our magazine, even including a column from gameusedforum.com's Eric Stangel.
    Troy Kinunen and Dave Bushing have also contributed this year and other freelancers such as Joe Phillips and Kevin Glew have added some nice game-used memorabilia stories as of late. If you want to continue the discussion about SCD, you may want to send me a private email, call or start a new thread about this, as I wouldn't want to run the risk of hijacking this current topic.
    Thanks.
    Chris,

Fair enough. Thanks for your response. As an aside, I really miss the articles that Michael Montbriand used to write in SCD about game used bats ... those were the days (Dave Grob's uniform articles were always informative, as well).

Best,
    Reid