Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Re: Frank Thomas HOF rookie game worn cap

Quote Originally Posted by stasman View Post
    I know the double auto is odd, but he wanted to double sign it.. I think that was pretty cool. He wanted to show the difference in his auto from a Rookie to HOF.
    So the Big Hurt had the final say as to how the hat would be, signed or unsigned. That is cool!! No more disputes, Dave M. authenticated, PSA/DNA authenticated, and Frank's own confirmation as to what you have. It doesn't get any better than that!

A very good ending and something to cherish forever.

Glad your experience turned out to be a great one! The yearbook inscription is funny, too.

Beyond this experience, I think everyone should take a step back for a second regarding a player authenticating a game-used item. A player, especially when getting paid, can write any inscription on an item. It doesn't make it true. On the flip side, a player might deem a legitimate item fake for any number of reasons. A player's word or memory is just one piece of evidence, albeit usually an important and legitimate one. Provenance is another form of evidence as is an "expert" opinion. A photo match is the ultimate piece of evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by salukidave View Post
    Glad your experience turned out to be a great one! The yearbook inscription is funny, too.

Beyond this experience, I think everyone should take a step back for a second regarding a player authenticating a game-used item. A player, especially when getting paid, can write any inscription on an item. It doesn't make it true. On the flip side, a player might deem a legitimate item fake for any number of reasons. A player's word or memory is just one piece of evidence, albeit usually an important and legitimate one. Provenance is another form of evidence as is an "expert" opinion. A photo match is the ultimate piece of evidence.
    I understand what you mean about a photomatch but if the player says it's there's and feels comfortable inscribing it gu then that's enough for me also seeing as his nickname was the big hurt he would be the last guy I questioned:-)

A photo match would be great... But in 1990 there weren't as many cameras and photos that there are today with every game. He looked carefully at the hat and immediately recognized his old auto and even told me at that time he was trying to sign every letter in his name. He then opened the hat and examined it and said it was game worn and his. I suspect many athletes wouldn't take the time to authenticate their items and would sign anything you ask, but Frank has been a high integrity person/ athlete from day 1. So for this one I'm 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by stasman View Post
    A photo match would be great... But in 1990 there weren't as many cameras and photos that there are today with every game. He looked carefully at the hat and immediately recognized his old auto and even told me at that time he was trying to sign every letter in his name. He then opened the hat and examined it and said it was game worn and his. I suspect many athletes wouldn't take the time to authenticate their items and would sign anything you ask, but Frank has been a high integrity person/ athlete from day 1. So for this one I'm 100%.
    I agree enjoy the item and I hope at some point you lend it to the hall so everybody can enjoy the item its awesome that you have a rookie item from a true hof player and a class act who played the game the right way

Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanjd View Post
    I understand what you mean about a photomatch but if the player says it's there's and feels comfortable inscribing it gu then that's enough for me also seeing as his nickname was the big hurt he would be the last guy I questioned:-)
    I'm not talking about this specific case, really. Frank Thomas is a sincere dude from what I've observed over many years as a White Sox fan. I have no reason to be a doubting Thomas in this case.

In any case, though, even the most sincere of players can have foggy memories even if their intentions are beyond reproach. Heck, if someone brought me one of my old high school teammates caps to me, I couldn't tell if it was or wasn't mine. Now make me a Hall of Fame player and then if somebody added my old number to the cap and I'd probably assume it was mine without giving it a second thought. Maybe someone else in that situation might recognize the hat as not theirs, but wouldn't want to burst the fan's bubble so he plays along. Or he plays along so the signing goes smoothly and he can collect his money and be asked to do more signings. Or maybe he signs whatever people ask him to sign because he doesn't care either way. On the flip side, you might have a player calling a legit item a fake because he's mad that things were stolen from him during his career or maybe just because he has a faulty memory or maybe just because he's a jerk.

I think hobby veterans have witnessed, heard or read about many such scenarios over the years.

True Salukidave...But I forgot to say I didn't ask him to sign the hat, he did that on his own for NO COST and added the inscription. That's $130.00 he felt wasn't needed. Just a guy who was honorable his whole career and still is when he's retired. Great guy. I couldn't ask for a cooler item.

And I think I trust a player recognizing something that personally belonged to him more than someone sitting behind a desk looking up info on the Internet. I've heard stories that a lot of athletes won't add " game used" when signing too.. I guess you have to trust the athlete.

I have a full set of AJ Pierzynski's catching gear and as soon as I showed it to him he immediately said they were his and signed them game used.