Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Re: Frank Thomas HOF rookie game worn cap

congrats and id get it signed again anyways because i rather have the sig on top of the brim , for display purposes.

If the sig was bad, I'd be really tempted to send it back to BPH's for a refund, but that's just me. I really wouldn't want a hat that had a bad sig, along with a good sig on it.

That might not bother you, and if not, great. That wouldn't go well with me and the hat would be going back to the seller.

No proof that it's a bad sig. Some on GUU say its good some say it's got inconsistencies, I think it's good. Anybody have an idea what it's value would be?

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa1334 View Post
    congrats and id get it signed again anyways because i rather have the sig on top of the brim , for display purposes.
    I think the sig is good that is on it but I like this idea. And have him add rookie game used.

Quote Originally Posted by stasman View Post
    Definitely!!!! A picture of Frank holding his rookie hat. Priceless.
    Or better yet, him wearing it! lol

To each their own, but I'd think twice about having Frank sign it a second time. Once is enough. I'd be more interested in photo-matching the hat. The team only wore that style in its final series so I'm guessing Frank only wore one of those hats in 1990, but, of course, he could have worn more than one, too.

Frank did wear a small size so that checks out. He also spelled out all of his letters in his autograph very early in his career, but that hat could have been signed a bit later or when he was in a bit of a rush.

Thanks Salukidave. I'm thinking twice about the re-auto because I'm pretty confident it's his auto. I want him to see it but I really don't want to spend $135 for a premium auto at the upcoming show just for him to check it out. It would be great to take a photo with him and his rookie hat.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by salukidave View Post
    I'd be more interested in photo-matching the hat. The team only wore that style in its final series so I'm guessing Frank only wore one of those hats in 1990
    People have already posted multiple pics of him in his black 1990 cap, and it's definitely not the same one. No way they issued multiple caps to a rookie for a single series, during that time period he was lucky he even got one. This is probably a cap used by Joe Nobody that someone got signed by Frank later on. Then they added the 35 above his sig, and boom, Big Hurt gamer. Look at the 35 on top, how it's really dark and shaky, like someone was writing it slowly while trying to copy the 35 in his signature.

Believe it or not I'm having a hard time finding photos of frank during those last home games where I could clearly photo match the hat. Especially because this one has a small seam separation. Based on the wear on the hat, I'm sure this was the hat he probably wore all 6 games.

Banned

Also on the 35 above his sig, notice how dark and fresh the ink is. So much darker than the signature's ink, even though it was supposedly written before the signature. No fading, no dirt on top of it. After the sweat, sunlight, dirt, etc. the ink wouldn't still be that dark. That 35 looks like it was just written a couple years ago...not 24 years ago.