Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Re: What's the best deal you've ever gotten?

My top deals were a 1959 Richie Asburn game used bat bought at an antique store for $18.00, a 1960's Don Kessinger game used bat purchased at another antique store for $17.00, a Johnny Bench game used Bicentennial bat, bought for $15.00. The original owner bought it at a Goodwill store and told me he paid $5.00. He was happy to sell it for $15.00, and made a ten dollar profit.My last good deal was a 1963 Chicago Cubs scorecard signed by Roberto Clemente, Ernie Banks, and several other players. The price, $25.00. It was scored, and Clemente hit a grand slam.

Quote Originally Posted by OaklandAsFan View Post
    got a Micah Owings 2011 NLDS used bat at the 2012 fanfest garage sale for 30 bucks
    That's the same sale where I picked up the bat Josh Collmenter got his first (and so far only) postseason hit with, for $40. I've been thinking that I'd take it out to the ballpark sometime this season and ask Josh if he wants it...and if he does, I'll offer to trade it to him for a different gamer. It's nice to have an historic bat, and all, but I think a player should have that stuff if they want it, and it will likely mean a whole lot more to him than to me.

In 1988 I set up at a small card show in San Francisco. I was selling 100-count lots of Topps cards, and I also had some 1986 Traded sets, which were selling pretty well at $15 each.

A guy across the room had a Twins banner from 1961, when the team first moved to Minnesota. It looked pretty cool, but I didn't think it was particularly valuable. He said he lived in the Twin Cities in '61 and had been at the Leamington hotel when the Twins were introduced, and that he'd personally gotten the banner following the event.

He was asking $50 I believe. Anyway, at the beginning of the 2 day show I asked him, if it was still there at the end, would he sell it to me for $20 and he said he would. So, I spent that entire show looking back over my shoulder to see if it was still there...

When the show ended I got a flurry of business, with dealers buying cards from me to sell at their next shows. The fellow with the banner came up and offered to trade the banner for two of the '86 Traded sets, but I said I'd rather just give him the $20. So, that's what we did.

Much later, around 2003 I think, I needed some money to buy a used car. I sold the banner for $1,200. So, that would rank as my best deal of all-time, and one of my favorite memories.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Banned

Talking Re: What's the best deal you've ever gotten?

I got a Cubs spring training minor league BP-style jersey from the early 1990s in a trade with a NOB of SEHORN. The seller had no clue who it was, and I had an idea, but wasn't sure. I acquired it, researched it, and discovered my guess was accurate...it was worn by Jason Sehorn (later a star DB with the NFL New York Giants) worn in his brief career as a Cubs minor leaguer.

Dave Miedema

I found a University of Hawaii game used football helmet with massive use for $5 at a yard sale.

I also once purchased a lot of 4 Kraft Quarterbacks of the Century Plaques for $25. The pictures in the auction were horrible, but it looked they could be signed, so I bought it and it turned out they were. Each plaque had one signature... one each for Montana, Unitas, Marino, and Elway. Not too shabby for $25...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by stepback_antiques View Post
    My top deals were a 1959 Richie Asburn game used bat bought at an antique store for $18.00, a 1960's Don Kessinger game used bat purchased at another antique store for $17.00, a Johnny Bench game used Bicentennial bat, bought for $15.00. The original owner bought it at a Goodwill store and told me he paid $5.00. He was happy to sell it for $15.00, and made a ten dollar profit.My last good deal was a 1963 Chicago Cubs scorecard signed by Roberto Clemente, Ernie Banks, and several other players. The price, $25.00. It was scored, and Clemente hit a grand slam.
    Bench Bicentennial for $15? That would definitely fall in the good deal category. Don't let Ben hear that.

$45 delivered off ebay. Authentic (not premier) and autographed:

Also, got this at a local Goodwill a few months back. $5.99 - Authentic Kenyon Martin, fully stitched.

I got 4 AHL game worn Lowell Lock Monsters jerseys off craigslist for 200 total. Couple months later sold 2 of them for 400 so I'd say I got a pretty good deal on them.

Great stuff in this thread!! The best deal I've ever got would be a B.J. Upton Louisville Slugger gamer and pair of his game issued cleats for $50. I also landed a dozen Johnny Damon MLB authenticated signed baseballs for $5.85 each the same day.