Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MEARS Practices

Banned

Re: MEARS Practices

"Items valued at less than $500 are not generally inspected by me. I have noted that many have concerns over some of the descriptions recently offered by MEARS. I will promise that I will personally inspect any game worn item that is offered in the MEARS Auction for the next 12 months to make sure that descriptions, titles, game use is more accurately noted by our firm. "

----DOES this justify why bad stuff is authenticed under your CO.?? sounds like a bad incumbent running for re-election. I agree with the originator of this thread ..WHY was the Bryant jersey initially listed as game used ,,, then changed to issued?? why not pull the shirt instead of re-listing as issued,,, its NOT eBay. WHY was it ever listed as being game used when u have doubts??? especially coming from a company that supposed to be the absolute best in the field. I think these questions have value to collectors and perhaps be judged so before this is deleted or edited. Bad stuff authenticated b/c it is < 500.00 is just as bad as authenticatin something valued >500.00! ANd it is YOUR company that did the shoddy authenticating. and there seems to be certain member that will defend to the end any of these auction houses.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mickeymbz View Post
    ANd it is YOUR company that did the shoddy authenticating. and there seems to be certain member that will defend to the end any of these auction houses.
    Which member are you calling out?

Quote Originally Posted by mos_def View Post
    Hi
    Just wanted to say that this jersey was sold by me to Chris (tella27) and I was the original buyer of this Kobe jersey from DC Sports. The jersey was sold to me as a game issued jersey and was also sold to Chris as a game issued jersey. The jersey had never been worn or altered in any way since I obtained it directly from DC Sports. I can say that I have done business with Chris now for a few times and everytime has been a positive transaction and experience.
    My observation as a collector:

The DC Sports letter states the jersey to be in "excellent un used condition" - To me, this means an un worn/un used/ un damaged item.

So this should be how member Mos_Def received it i'd assume.

Mos_Def, when you owned the jersey, did it contain any signs of being washed or have "snagg" marks? (a clear pull in the fabric on the Front)

The reason i ask this, as in the possession of the next owner, member Tella27, it appears the jersey does contain "signs of washing and also has marks on the jersey from being snagged", a quote taken from when Tella27 had this jersey listed for offer via ebay. (Link below)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kobe-Bryant-...p2047675.l2557

A clear pull in the fabric is shown on the close up pic in the ebay listing, being the First Buyer/Owner Mos_Def, was this "pull of the fabric" evident when you owned it?

This is Important, as if it did, this jersey shouldn't be in "excellent" condition as stated by DC Sports and most likely clears this whole issue up.

A poor description potentially lead to a case of "game use" being evident on this game issued jersey.

This thread brings to mind the direction taken by the baseball (and other sports) card "hobby" only worse due to the many more opportunities, avenues, etc. to alter jerseys, either by description (e.g., game used, game worn, game issued, game ready), restorations, 'wholesale' changes/alterations/modifications, etc. As mentioned before, the 'hobby' has gone way beyond "Buyer Beware" to a state of "Buyer Be Aware"!

Quote Originally Posted by patterz123 View Post
    My observation as a collector:

The DC Sports letter states the jersey to be in "excellent un used condition" - To me, this means an un worn/un used/ un damaged item.

So this should be how member Mos_Def received it i'd assume.

Mos_Def, when you owned the jersey, did it contain any signs of being washed or have "snagg" marks? (a clear pull in the fabric on the Front)

The reason i ask this, as in the possession of the next owner, member Tella27, it appears the jersey does contain "signs of washing and also has marks on the jersey from being snagged", a quote taken from when Tella27 had this jersey listed for offer via ebay. (Link below)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kobe-Bryant-...p2047675.l2557

A clear pull in the fabric is shown on the close up pic in the ebay listing, being the First Buyer/Owner Mos_Def, was this "pull of the fabric" evident when you owned it?

This is Important, as if it did, this jersey shouldn't be in "excellent" condition as stated by DC Sports and most likely clears this whole issue up.

A poor description potentially lead to a case of "game use" being evident on this game issued jersey.
    I have pictures of the jersey before I bought it that were sent to me - I then took picture of it to list it with. All the picture are identical. The jersey is still in the exact condition as when I purchased it and mos_def is someone I've done business with a few times and I have no doubt in his word saying it has been unaltered on his end. I hate how someone that has never owned or even held this jersey - or EVER been in the same room as it can voice their opinion and now its considered fact?? Look at Steiner and their jerseys - I've bought many of them that say game issued but show plenty of wear and wash. I sent this jersey in to be authenticated and spoke with Troy about the loa and my thoughts prior to sending it. His company and the top experts SAID it was game worn and then listed it on their auction for 8 days of a 10 day auction. The EXPERTS in this field thought the same thing I did and that it looked washed/worn and I can prove with pictures that its in the same condition that I purchased it in.

Here are pictures of the jersey before I bought it and after I received it - as it can be seen the marking around the 24 are IDENTICAL. Ive pointed it out with arrows. Ive also pointed out the snag on the front - it can been seen in the pictures prior to my purchase. The only difference is the fold line in the bottom tag but this fold is called out in an email to me from Mos_Def. This is the same jersey now as when he had it - it HAS NOT BEEN WASHED OR ALTERED IN ANY WAY.
    Wood floor is Mos_Def - Black is me

I rarely weigh in on these topics…..In my opinion, this is certainly not a perfect Science with the new Basketball Jerseys…… and you can argue whether MEARS communicated properly, but I do think Troy apologized for any missteps they may have made?

I don’t have any connections at MEARS and I’m pretty sure they have no clue who I am.…They are not perfect by any means, but in my opinion, Troy and his group are by far one of the finest Authenticators in the Country.

I have used their services many times for Auctions as well as Authentications. I have not always been happy with their conclusions, because sometimes the truth can hurt……. But, one thing for sure, they are extremely thorough and VERY GOOD at what they do. I can’t imagine them doing anything purposely to mislead anyone?

I think that there is an inherent conflict between running an auction house and being the authenticator for same. At least Lou Lampson did not do both. Although I understand that other auction houses do this as well, I think Mears should chose one or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulligans View Post
    I rarely weigh in on these topics…..In my opinion, this is certainly not a perfect Science with the new Basketball Jerseys…… and you can argue whether MEARS communicated properly, but I do think Troy apologized for any missteps they may have made?

I don’t have any connections at MEARS and I’m pretty sure they have no clue who I am.…They are not perfect by any means, but in my opinion, Troy and his group are by far one of the finest Authenticators in the Country.

I have used their services many times for Auctions as well as Authentications. I have not always been happy with their conclusions, because sometimes the truth can hurt……. But, one thing for sure, they are extremely thorough and VERY GOOD at what they do. I can’t imagine them doing anything purposely to mislead anyone?
    All I can say about the whole issue is MEARS and their expert authenticators said this passed as being game worn. It was then changed because of a post on some forum by someone that neither has ever owned this jersey or even been in the same room as this jersey. I was accused of doctoring the jersey to make it look worn and added the snag. I've posted pictures of the jersey before I bought it (and it was purchased from a member on here that I've done business with in the past a few times and alway happy) everything is identical from when I purchased it including the snag on the front. Now MEARS changed there opinion because of a post on a thread and I've proved that who ever posted that has no clue what they are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by DeacDoug View Post
    I think that there is an inherent conflict between running an auction house and being the authenticator for same. At least Lou Lampson did not do both. Although I understand that other auction houses do this as well, I think Mears should chose one or the other.
    I also agree with Doc on this - when the place authenticates something and then sells it they have interest in its final sale price. I don't feel that the drive for profit on an item should ever be able to come into play. It's like JSA - they authenticate signatures but they don't sell items after they authenticate them.