Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: "Show and Tell" of your cheapest game used jerseys or the "best deal" you have gotten!

I was lucky enough to find a few in second clothing stores:

-a Mark Messier NY Rangers gamer ($20!)
    -two 1970's Oakland A's spring training jerseys ($15 each)
    -Norm Bulaich 1970 home Colts team issued ($25)
    -a 1977 White Sox pajama top jersey ($20)
    -and others

more interesting to me is that the Blue Jays started to really offer up there 1980's-2000's game jerseys through the Skydome team store and I could buy common and semi-star jerseys for $100 (including a stadium employee discount). Their authentic replica jerseys of current players were priced more expensively.
    WANTED -1977 Toronto Blue Jays game jersey

chris@pacmedia.ca

Re: "Show and Tell" of your cheapest game used jerseys or the "best deal" you have gotten!

In 1976, the Toronto Toros moved their WHA franchise to Birmingham and became the Birmingham Bulls. Other than covering up the "Toros" on the sleeve, the jerseys from Toronto were usable as the snorting bull crest on the front of the jersey remained unchanged.

The Bulls decided that mesh jerseys with screened-on logos and numbers would be more comfortable, so they canned the traditional durene jerseys early on and put them for sale at the souvenir stands during the games. I happened to attend a Friday night game when they first put the jerseys up for sale. For $25, you could purchase a nice durene with name-on-back. The Bulls had many fine players at that time such as Hall-of-Famer Frank Mahovlich, Paul Henderson, and Mark Napier.

I went to each stand desperately trying to find a jersey of Napier who was my favorite Bull as well as a crowd favorite. No luck on Napier or any of the other well-known players. By the time I reached the last souvenir stand, I was ready to buy whatever was available just to have a jersey. To my surprise, a gorgeous blue Frank Mahovlich was looking right back at me. I asked the clerk the price on the Mahovlich and he said that while all the other jerseys were $25, this one would cost a little more. After a pause, he said that the price was $35.

I cannot tell you how quickly I pulled $35 out of my wallet. While us Southerners are born and bred on football, we knew who Frank Mahovlich was.

Already being a collector of the defunct World Football League at that time, I traded the Mahovlich and along with two Bulls dureens with no-names-on-back a few months later for a load of WFL jerseys and cash. In hindsight, the guy who got the Mahovlich jersey could just as easily post here and brag about the great deal he got on the Mahovlich jersey in his trade with me!

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for World Football League and Atlanta Falcons uniforms, and Willie McGee and Darren Lewis game-used items.

This isnt really the steal of the century...

Comerica park used to have a bucket (sort of) that would hold all the game used bats, and unannounced staff used to randomly bring up bats from the clubhouse. Some days you would go up and they would have all shane halters, other times there would be gems that would be picked out so fast that you would pretty much have to be there when they were brought up.

Well occasionally you would find the most random things, away player bats I think were $25 bucks or something, while Tiger player bats were $50. I was lucky enough to randomly find a Sandy Alomar Jr. white sox bat, as well as the most random bat as well, a Jay Buhner Big Stick gamer. Not bad for $50 bucks.

-Tony
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Always looking for ALEX AVILA, ALBERT PUJOLS, HOME RUN BATS, and any high end gamers from 90's-00's stars.

Tony Servitto
    My Email: servitto84@yahoo.com
    My Website: http://vitosbatsandmemorabilia.webs.com/

Banned

My best deal was the time I suckered this 10 or 11 year old kid out of a game used South Carolina jersey for $20..... oh wait, that was a baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by BaseballGM View Post
    My best deal was the time I suckered this 10 or 11 year old kid out of a game used South Carolina jersey for $20..... oh wait, that was a baseball.
    I thought that was the reason for this thread to begin with. I guess the bait did work.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

I picked up a hamilton rookie jersey for realy cheap at last years national. I paid 500 for it, and was happy to do so.
    Baseball do what it do
    -Ron Washington

In Hunt's November 2007 auction, they had what was billed as a 1980 Jim Riggleman minor league jersey. http://www.huntauctions.com/phone/im...46&lot_num=805

Noting the crew neck (circa 1971-72) and the number 9, I bid thinking it could be a Joe Torre MVP-era shirt. Sure enough, when the jersey arrived, you could see the outline of TORRE where the NOB was removed.

After months of searching, I eventually found photos of Torre wearing what I believe is this jersey on Steve Dewing's website. They were taken in Atlanta in 1972.

If you clicked the first link, you know what I paid... $97. Torre has since signed the jersey for me with a "1971 NL MVP" notation.

My "best deal" was not a terrific deal, but a terrific find. I facillitated a deal between a fellow collector and a guy who runs a game used site. It was for a jersey that I already had one of, so I turned it over to the other collector as it was priced very low.

After they completed their deal, the guy who ran the site mentioned to me he had another uniform that he had never bothered to list on the site. When he sent me pics of the uniform, I nearly fell out of my chair. It was completely obliterated and photo matched to about 2 dozen football cards and numerous other photos. Needless to say, that chance find is the centerpiece of my collection.

Banned

Talking Re: "Show and Tell" of your cheapest game used jerseys or the "best deal" you have gotten!

I had one trade with a Chicago area dealer that I took a gamble on, and it paid off. He was willing to swap me a 1973 Red Sox road jersey of #25, who he said was Rick Burleson, based on a 1973 preseason roster. The roster did list Burleson as #25, but, being a little guy, I would have expected a jersey he wore to be a 38 or a 40...this one was a 44. I made the trade, went home, and found out that my jersey was worn by, not Burleson, but rather ORLANDO CEPEDA. I got lucky there.

Dave Miedema

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    I thought that was the reason for this thread to begin with. I guess the bait did work.

Haha, mine came from a website. But yes, I was hoping someone would admit again he South Carolina HR Ball they got from ripping off a kid...