Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Re: 2012 Cardinals Winter Warm Up

Quote Originally Posted by calgrad1999 View Post
    Has anyone attempted to photomatch the jerseys? I know it's
    tough. It seems like a gamble. I have one past ws gamer
    I was able to photomatch.

Any ws jerseys at wwu? I might be interested in getting one
    mmikemag@aol.com
    I can say the Berkman in the auction was not game used. I checked all of the Getty images looking for the pine tar stain above the N on the back and found none. There were plenty of shots of this area to look at. I have a feeling all of the "gamers" were kept by the players.....wouldn't you keep yours....and these were just extras from the season that the team added patches to. Further evidence might be the "team issued Carpenter jersey with patches" that they had had in the silent auction....it had a 09 All Star game patch on it. Not sure what it sold for but was at $300 at the half way point.

Quote Originally Posted by onlyalbert View Post
    I can say the Berkman in the auction was not game used. I checked all of the Getty images looking for the pine tar stain above the N on the back and found none. There were plenty of shots of this area to look at. I have a feeling all of the "gamers" were kept by the players.....wouldn't you keep yours....and these were just extras from the season that the team added patches to. Further evidence might be the "team issued Carpenter jersey with patches" that they had had in the silent auction....it had a 09 All Star game patch on it. Not sure what it sold for but was at $300 at the half way point.
    I think you might be right. I am pretty sure that Lynn wore a different jersey than the one I bought for all three home games that he pitched in. I'm still happy with it and love the inscription, but I have a feeling that some people are going to be overpaying for "team issued" gamers that were not actually used. I really wish I would have had the opportunity to ask Lynn if he got to keep the jersey that he did wear.

What are you referring to with the Carpenter jersey? I didn't get a close look at that particular jersey, but I bought a Mitchell Boggs road jersey with the 09 All-Star patch at one of the silent auctions last year and photo-matched it to almost every photo I could find of him pitching on the road that season.

My opinion is that the patches were applied to more than one jersey for each player. Obviously this was necessary after Freese's encounter with the shredder in Game 6.

I should clarify that my Lynn jersey has clearly been used, just apparently not in the World Series.

Quote Originally Posted by jscott0688 View Post
    I think you might be right. I am pretty sure that Lynn wore a different jersey than the one I bought for all three home games that he pitched in. I'm still happy with it and love the inscription, but I have a feeling that some people are going to be overpaying for "team issued" gamers that were not actually used. I really wish I would have had the opportunity to ask Lynn if he got to keep the jersey that he did wear.

What are you referring to with the Carpenter jersey? I didn't get a close look at that particular jersey, but I bought a Mitchell Boggs road jersey with the 09 All-Star patch at one of the silent auctions last year and photo-matched it to almost every photo I could find of him pitching on the road that season.

My opinion is that the patches were applied to more than one jersey for each player. Obviously this was necessary after Freese's encounter with the shredder in Game 6.
    I know this is a big event and they scramble for items from the season. The thought that they would have a Carp jersey laying around from 09....and not have sold it at a live auction in the 2010 or 11 WWU where it would've commanded 4 figures seems odd to me. The Waino bat was nice and it was from 2010 as I checked the date on it. It was at $300 when I walked away from it.

I have seen other posts on here where teams have stated that they added the patches to all of the leftover jerseys at the end of the season. So it makes sense. I checked the hologram number on one of the WS jerseys at the Authentics store and no info came up. That tells me it was done very recently. It was FJ816018 which is a Tony Cruz home jersey. So they should all be in that number range once they are entered. I am still puzzeled by the jerseys in the auction being Set 1 though. Unless the team just holds on to lots of jerseys.

When I presented my Jay jersey to Jon to be signed he asked me if it was from the World Series. My jersey was from a auction earlier this year but had a good amount of dirt on it. I told Jon that I only wished it was from the series. I then said I hope you have yours at home. He said he did and it was framed already. I did not ask from which game. I would bet it was the one worn during game seven. Now I am a person who sometimes over thinks! By asking the question about the jersey does he know that he wore more than one home jersey during the series?

Its not really odd for the Cardinals to come up with stuff thats 2 or 3 years old. Sometimes I think it just sits around Cardinals Care until they get around to getting it signed by the player.

A good example is the Matt Holliday 2009 bat they auctioned off Sunday. It was a very nice gamer from '09 but the hologram showed it being signed just this past June or July.

Looks like they added WS patches to all the remaining 2011 shirts they had, so the ones on auction are a toss up at best. Without a photo match, I wouldnt pay a premium over a regular gamer.

Will post my weekend pickups tomorrow hopefully.

Jason
    stlbats@bellsouth.net

I know this is a big event and they scramble for items from the season. The thought that they would have a Carp jersey laying around from 09....and not have sold it at a live auction in the 2010 or 11 WWU where it would've commanded 4 figures seems odd to me. The Waino bat was nice and it was from 2010 as I checked the date on it. It was at $300 when I walked away from it.
    That's just the nature of Cardinals Care. I have absolutely no idea why they do anything that they do. Why are they selling Civil Rights and Stars and Stripes hats in the team store while they are trying to sell autographed postcards in the silent auctions? Why are they selling a game used Molina cap in the live auction while leaving his jersey for the silent auction? They are clueless.

I have seen other posts on here where teams have stated that they added the patches to all of the leftover jerseys at the end of the season. So it makes sense. I checked the hologram number on one of the WS jerseys at the Authentics store and no info came up. That tells me it was done very recently. It was FJ816018 which is a Tony Cruz home jersey. So they should all be in that number range once they are entered. I am still puzzeled by the jerseys in the auction being Set 1 though. Unless the team just holds on to lots of jerseys.
    This discussion inspired me to go through all the photos of Lynn pitching at Busch Stadium during the 2011 season and postseason. It appears that Lance alternated between two home jerseys in 2011. I photomatched my jersey to every regular season home appearance for which Getty has photos, including his major league debut on June 2 (five total). That leaves only July 9 unaccounted for. I also photo-matched my jersey to Game 5 of the NLCS. However, Lance is clearly wearing the other jersey in all three home World Series appearances and his other NLCS appearance.

Interestingly, my jersey doesn't have a set tag.

Quote Originally Posted by stlbats View Post
    Looks like they added WS patches to all the remaining 2011 shirts they had, so the ones on auction are a toss up at best.
    I sat in a presentation about the 2011 items collected by the team for its HOF/museum and the speaker was lamenting how few WS patches were provided to the team by MLB prior to the series. Apparently, there were barely enough to patch up the jerseys needed for every coach and player. So, I don't get the impression that they put patches on every jersey they had... nor do I believe patches were added to jerseys after the season. Those jerseys were patched before Authentics acquired them from the clubhouse.

Think of it this way. When a player shows up for a game, there probably are two patched, clean jerseys in his locker. He chooses and wears one. The next night, same thing. He could grab the previously unworn jersey, or the one he already wore, which was cleaned. Over the course of 3-4 games, he might wear both shirts or just the same one (they often have favorites). Then, let's say they get to keep one when they clean out their lockers a day or two later. They could take either jersey.

Bottom line: I don't think Authentics or Cardinals Care is trying to fool anyone. They're selling the shirts provided to them. Some probably were worn during the WS, some probably weren't. Only thing we know for sure is that the shirts for the WS weren't a new set. And if the jersey being offered is a set 1, that just means it probably was "in the rotation" all season.