Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bobby Doerr Lathe Bat

Hi

I am very excited about my recent purchase from L.F. Collectibles. Thought i would share. i am hoping to get Mr. Doerr to sign

Jason

Vintage Louisville Slugger Lathe Bat/Bobby Doerr - Red Sox

Player: bobby Doerr
    Label:
    DDD:
    Era: 1936
    Teams: Red Sox
    SideWritten: Doerr Special 44 oz Robt. Doerr 1-9-36 Hollywood
    TeamsSideWritten: Comments: lathe Bobby Doerr bat, side written date verified by Louisville Slugger shipping records, part of the Louisville Slugger archives- elected HOF 1986

Re: Bobby Doerr Lathe Bat

I may be in the minority here, but I would not have the player sign that bat.

Anything inkwise written on it would mar the beautiful vintage writing and intent of the writing. I'd rather have a signed photo of Doerr holding the bat with an inscription or comment about the bat.

Awesome bat though!

Hi

This brings up an interesting point. Should i have Mr. Doerr sign it or should i leave it the way it's been for all these years? I kinda fell it adds something to the value and shows that the bat and play have made a connection. I would have him sign on the opposite side of the grease marks. Is it is kinda a historical bat should i leave it the way it is? I am interested in anyones opninon and comments on what they would or would not do.

Thanks
    Jason

Jason,
    I prefer my gamers unsigned, as I like the bat the way the player would have used it.

Especially for this bat though... definately leave it the way it has been for so long.
    Bert
    ---------------

Always looking for Matt Wieters, Tettleton, and that Orioles magic

shoremen44@gmail.com

It depends on the sort of bats that you collect. If you have a lot of signed bats, why not have him sign it on the side opposite the sidewriting? If you collect mostly vintage bats, then you would probably leave it as it is. On the other hand, since it's a lathe bat, it might be nice to have him sign it so that you know that he actually held it in his hands.

Corsair

I tend to agree with you. I feel why not have him sign it? I can feel that it can only add to the value and give the player and bat a chance to make a connection? I have had several vintage bats signed by players and they always smile and recall memories of the times they were playing. i don't know if i am hurting the bat or helping it. I am leaning toward having him sign it. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Jason

This is just my opinion, and Im sure a lot of you will disagree with me, and thats fine. But I would not get this bat signed by him. To me, getting a present day auto from an oldtimer, on a vintage item, can really decrease the value of the item. I, personally, wouldnt fork over as much money on an item that has been signed on a vintage item, or hell, I probably wouldnt even buy it. Sure, there are circumstances, but we're talking about a beautiful 1936 bat, a piece of history, with a 2008 signature on it. Just doesnt sound logical. And it doesnt help the fact that his autographs are a dime a dozen.

Hi

I appreicate your answer and i understand were you are coming from. Maybe his signature would sent it back some.(value wise) But i think the connection with the bat and player might be special. I have enformed a friend of Mr.Doerr's about the bat and he is excited to see it. (How many people can say that today about current playplayers?) I might go for the connection link. I am also one of those people who like signatures on their memorbilia. Still would like to hear from other people on this.

Jason

Hi Jason,

I have to agree with several of the others and say that I'm not sure it would be the best idea to get it signed.

The difference with a lathe bat as opposed to a regular signature model gamer is that to the best of my knowledge the majority of lathe bats never leave the factory so the connection to the player will be minimal.

I would guess that in looking over a lathe bat an old time player might possibly recognize the shape as being familiar by touch but nothing else since lathe bats in most cases aren't branded. True, there are some bats that were produced, used, and then were returned to the factory for branding. This Doerr bat isn't one of them and in those cases I'm not sure they would even be considered lathe bats.

In my opinion, a lathe bat would almost be a more interesting item from a connection standpoint if it had been signed by the late Henry Morrow of H&B.

Nate brought up a good point though as well about a vintage bat having a modern autograph. He definitely got me thinking about not having Mr. Doerr sign my Doerr circa 1940 gamer in June. At this point it would be the only bat in collection that is signed as he is the one that is still living.

Food for thought though anyway. I would just do what makes you happy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tim Byington
    Hall of Fame Bats
    tim@hofbats.com

Tim

Hope all is well; i understand everyone's point and agree and disagree. I personally like signed bats. I feel it gives alittle more to the items and reconnects the player to the item. I feel that more historical items will increase in valve over time with a signature. I had Hank Aaron sign my Tommie Aaron bat. I just like the connection and i can't afford a game used Aaron bat

Thanks
    Jason