Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: September 2014 Pick-Ups

Quote Originally Posted by 3arod13 View Post
    Jeff,

Great bat! You wanted a McGwire gamer with a handle crack? Many don't want their gamers with a crack. Just curious, why you do.
    McGwire typically used a bat until it couldn't be used any longer (crack or deadwood). Collectors should be suspicious of any Cardinals-era McGwire that can still be used unless the provenance is iron clad. Mac had many, many bats stolen from him, especially on the road, and often before they were used. These uncracked bats, usually with incorrect pine tar patterns, flooded the collector market for years. So, my personal rule of thumb regarding McGwire is to seek a bat that is cracked or has deadwood, and is personalized -- suggesting Mac willingly gave it to someone he liked after it was used.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdbats View Post
    McGwire typically used a bat until it couldn't be used any longer (crack or deadwood). Collectors should be suspicious of any Cardinals-era McGwire that can still be used unless the provenance is iron clad. Mac had many, many bats stolen from him, especially on the road, and often before they were used. These uncracked bats, usually with incorrect pine tar patterns, flooded the collector market for years. So, my personal rule of thumb regarding McGwire is to seek a bat that is cracked or has deadwood, and is personalized -- suggesting Mac willingly gave it to someone he liked after it was used.
    Jeff, nice info to know. Thanks and congrats on the bat!
    Regards, Tony

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

I recently picked up this 2005 MLB Authenticated Adam Dunn bat from rdeversole (thanks again) and spent the last week doing restoration work. The tape that was wrapped around the handle was applied soon after it broke in 2005 and I felt it needed to go. I found 2 clean handle breaks under the tape but the pieces still fit nicely together. The repair came out better than expected with no visible wood glue and absolutely no sanding or removal of any pieces of wood. The bat is slightly less tan where the tape was (this might change with time) but the pine tar and rack marks that were hidden are now on display. I wanted it to look like how it did coming off the field (no tape with the break lines visible) and the bat now feels solid as a rock. In fact, it felt good enough to take to the batting cage when swinging it around this morning.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Just picked up a pair of Larry Walker game used caps:

Burlington Expos (Midwest League) and Naranjeros de Hermosillo (Mexican Winter League). I'll put up pictures once they arrive.

Nice Dunn Pick Ups.

Picked up a few items in a trade.

Cole Hamels Game Used 2012 Fielding Glove
    Used throughout the entire 2012 season including the ASG.

Cole Hamels Game Used Cleats

Brad Lidge Issued Player Bat
    I'm fairly sure that he never had a single at bat with the phillies so this is the closest I'll ever get to having one of his bats for my 08 Phillies collection.

Christian Yelich- 4th of July Hat

Giancarlo Stanton- Locker nameplate from Coors Field

Henderson Alvarez- TBTC Hat

Jarrod Saltalamacchia-Bat broken on April 9th (may have been used to hit his first homerun as a Marlin)

Lineup card from 2012 that I recently framed

I like the away nameplates from Coors Field this year, I've grabbed a few.
    Always looking for Noah Syndergaard, Charlie Blackmon, Jordan Pacheco & Kenneth Faried items, thx!

Today in the mail I received a 1988 Game Used Tony Gwynn Jersey and 2-Game Issued Gwynn Bats! Also pictured are 3 other Game Used Gwynn Bats that I received in the past few months!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I'm glad to see you were able to get some Gwynn items, TG.