Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Cal Ripken bat on eBay

The other very possible scenario that we haven't considered as of yet is that it is a real Ripken game bat that was used by another player (who taped his bats). This is certainly well within the realm of possibility. In my discussions with the seller, he told me that the bat came from someone with the Orioles (a bat boy or someone like that; I don't remember specifically), so it's not like Ripken handed him the bat after stepping off of the diamond. The provenance certainly allows for this alternative explanation.

Reid
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Mike & Reid:

Excellent points, I remember talking to the seller months ago when he was selling an 85 game worn Ripken jersey. He told me he had a source on the team but would not reveal who or at what level the source was at. I would imagine that somebody was lifting these items from the clubhouse the way that he talked about it and the fact that he did not want to reveal a source from 20 years ago that one would wonder if the person is even still with the team. Not sure if the source was the same for the jersey and the bat and or the other items he obtained. He told me he had a batting helmet about 6 -8 total bats 2 jerseys etc. It would be entirely possible that this bat was used by a teammate. If I get some free time in the future I may explore whether any Ripken teammates were known to tape bats in that manner and if Ripken was ever known to share bats. I know a bat just sold through American memorabilia about a month ago that was a Ripken model and it said it was most likely turned over to Ripken teammate Floyd "Sugar Bear" Rayford who overwrote Cal's #8 on the know with Floyd's number. Certainly a possibility.

Brett Herman

I had the good fortune last week of working in the Press Box of the Cal Ripken World Series in Aberdeen & had ample opportunity to speak with Cal. One of our discussions was about his game used bats & I specifically asked him about his use of tape. He told there was a time that the quality of the Pine Tar was below the norm for whatever reason and he did use tape on his bats for a bit as an experiment (similar to how he experimented with batting stances). He said that he ultimately wasn't happy with the grip he got with tape and went back to using the pine tar rags. When I get caught up from being out of town for the week, I'll try to post a couple pictures that I have him using taped bats.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmanfan View Post
    I had the good fortune last week of working in the Press Box of the Cal Ripken World Series in Aberdeen & had ample opportunity to speak with Cal. One of our discussions was about his game used bats & I specifically asked him about his use of tape. He told there was a time that the quality of the Pine Tar was below the norm for whatever reason and he did use tape on his bats for a bit as an experiment (similar to how he experimented with batting stances). He said that he ultimately wasn't happy with the grip he got with tape and went back to using the pine tar rags. When I get caught up from being out of town for the week, I'll try to post a couple pictures that I have him using taped bats.

Thanks as always to Ironmanfan for the excellent feedback. That is most helpful as you cannot get any better verification than that.

Thanks
    Brett Herman
    Brett Herman

brettherman2131@hotmail.com

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

Bill,

Interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing/updating. I've had the pleasure of talking equipment with Steve Carlton a few times in the past and so I can imagine what that experience was like.

Btw, the seller (Alan) contacted me and stated that the bat sold. Someone out there very likely got an incredible deal.

I look forward to seeing the additional photos, when you get a chance to share them.

Reid
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

As promised, I'm enclosing a picture of Cal Ripken Jr. using a bat with tape. You'll note that the taping "criss cross" pattern is very similar to the one on the bat that was offerred on eBay. This picture is from a 1990 USA TODAY promotional item (although the actual picture they used is from 1989).

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1.../ebay008-1.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...72/ebay011.jpg

Below is a link to a current Hunt Auctions Cal Ripken Jr. 1980-83 game used bat that has a taped handle. These bats have proven to be very rare and this is only the 2nd bat from this era that I have ever seen used by Ripken with a taped handle. The other being a Rochester minor league gamer used by Ripken during his 81 season in New York. Seems to provide additional evidence that Cal used taped bats during a couple of stages in his career. I would like to see additional close-up pics of the bat to clearly see just how much use this bat really has.

http://www.huntauctions.com/online/i...rer=search.cfm
    Brett Herman

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

Here is the other one I am familiar with.

http://robertedwardauctions.com/site...px?itemid=4700
    Brett Herman

Quote Originally Posted by mr.miracle View Post
    Below is a link to a current Hunt Auctions Cal Ripken Jr. 1980-83 game used bat that has a taped handle. These bats have proven to be very rare and this is only the 2nd bat from this era that I have ever seen used by Ripken with a taped handle. The other being a Rochester minor league gamer used by Ripken during his 81 season in New York. Seems to provide additional evidence that Cal used taped bats during a couple of stages in his career. I would like to see additional close-up pics of the bat to clearly see just how much use this bat really has.

http://www.huntauctions.com/online/i...rer=search.cfm

Just a quick additional note on this bat. I have asked Hunt Auctions for additional photos of this bat. I did not originally read the description closely as this bat had all the markings of a Ripken P72 Walker finish which is the bat of choice for the most part during the 1980-83 labeling period for Cal. This bat is an M159 which I checked with Mike Specht and he verified that according to factory records Cal never ordered any Walker finish M159 bats during this labeling period. The only factory records listing this model were for natural and Hickory finishes during this label period. Unless I am blind, the bat in question in Hunt Auctions is a Walker finish with a taped handle which we know that Cal did use in very limited roles. In any case, I am awaiting Hunt's reply but it appears that this may be yet another bat from early in Cal's career that does not match factory shipping records. If that is the case it is a real shame as it appears to be a very, very nice bat.
    Brett Herman

Brett,

Criss cross tape PLUS an undocumented finish does not sound like the road I'd want to travel. How comfortable would you feel with it? Thanks for your posts and let us know what you find.

Reid