Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question on Chamberlain Jersey

Guys,

I have a Wilt jersey that arrives with a letter on Sixers letterhead from Harvey Pollack (director of statistical information), but I'm not completely comfortable with its authenticity based on the letter alone and I'm asking for your input. The letter reads, "This letter is to confirm that the 76ers jersey provided me by XXX is one that Wilt Chamberlain wore when he joined the 76ers in January of 1965. The team changed uniforms in the ensuing season to coincide with the team winning the NBA title in 1967. I was the team's director of public relations during Wilt's stay with the team."

Here are some images, whatever information is helpful. Thanks.

Re: Question on Chamberlain Jersey

Name:  DSC03864.JPG
Views: 565
Size:  93.2 KB

Name:  DSC03866.JPG
Views: 566
Size:  136.6 KB

Name:  DSC03868.JPG
Views: 578
Size:  94.6 KB

Name:  DSC03865.JPG
Views: 544
Size:  59.0 KB

Name:  DSC03867.JPG
Views: 543
Size:  71.1 KB

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by blades3 View Post
    Guys,

I have a Wilt jersey that arrives with a letter on Sixers letterhead from Harvey Pollack (director of statistical information), but I'm not completely comfortable with its authenticity based on the letter alone and I'm asking for your input. The letter reads, "This letter is to confirm that the 76ers jersey provided me by XXX is one that Wilt Chamberlain wore when he joined the 76ers in January of 1965. The team changed uniforms in the ensuing season to coincide with the team winning the NBA title in 1967. I was the team's director of public relations during Wilt's stay with the team."

Here are some images, whatever information is helpful. Thanks.

Heck - if that was my jersey, I'd be REAL comfortable with it - it's awesome. Pearson was the Official Distributor for the Eagles and 76ers back in the day. And as a kid growing up in Philly, Harvey Pollack was always showing up at Little League games with free 76ers tickets for the kids and parents.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cohibasmoker View Post
    Heck - if that was my jersey, I'd be REAL comfortable with it - it's awesome. Pearson was the Official Distributor for the Eagles and 76ers back in the day. And as a kid growing up in Philly, Harvey Pollack was always showing up at Little League games with free 76ers tickets for the kids and parents.

Jim

Gotta agree with Jim...it looks absolutely awesome!

Dave Miedema

flaa1a@comcast.net

The lettering seems a bit fishy. I am NOT an expert, and I do not know if every jersey had lettering that was "hand-cut" by the manufacturer. Are the shoulder straps longer than they appear in your photos? The Wilson tags are from the Mid to late 50s (they very well could have used carry-overs). There was a guy who passed off several 70s Sixers Erving jerseys, that were complete forgeries (from hand-cut lettering to photo-copied on cloth tags.) This is also a 1963-64 Sixers jersey.
    Can you reveal where this jersey was purchased?
    The shoulder straps seem a bit short.
    A Wilt Chamberlain jersey should not be assumed real, no matter what an LOA says.

Some slight differences:

Looks like a M&N swing and a miss. Hard to tell based on photos on a computer, but is that jersey pretty fresh looking? Fresher than the tags? Shouldn't it be shrunk up to almost nothing by now?

W/o even looking at the lettering...which does not match, the cut of those two jerseys are night and day.

Check out Getty #97648275

Cagers were sporting the spaghetti straps back then.

After 2 minutes of research, my initial reaction would be - sketchy jersey.

Unless I was running it in my own auction - then it would grade out to O-10!

Like BTPH, I'm no expert. I just browse photos. They're substantially more honest than many in the hobby.

I'm fairly certain that the jersey you are holding was rejected by MEARS, not once, but twice. I would contact them for more information/confirmation.

-Andrew

The jersey definitely doesn't look fresh. It looks worn to death and old. The whole reason I don't feel comfortable with it is because I can't find a photo match, like you guys have pointed out. I will contact Troy at MEARS about it also. The straps look fine to me (length) and here's a better image of them.
    Attached Images Attached Images