Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Largest private Yankee Collection

David/Joel,

Funny that you bring up that story. I was fortunate enough to meet Barry and have a private tour of his collection in the fall of '95. As one could imagine, the words breathtaking and awe-inspiring can hardly do it justice.

It took some time to get the meeting organized, and it was postponed once due to the death of the Mick. But I did get a look at a key item that never made it to the Sotheby's sale.

Sorry about the quality, but see the scans of my original prints below.
    Then again, maybe that's a good thing...
    1. DiMag's SF Seals jersey
    2. Gehrig Columbia University jersey
    3. Barry and me in front of the infamous dry cleaner's rack with Don Mattingly's Columbus Clippers jersey
    4. The Mick's #7 and rookie #6 Yankees jerseys
    5. No explanation necessary - but here goes anyway. It's the glove, along with the FedEx slip and a note from the doctor who forwarded the glove to Barry at the request of Mantle. The glove reads" Barry, This is the glove from my HEMMORID (sp.) exam. Mickey Mantle."

R.J. Hinners

Always looking for Don Mattingly and other Yankees' game-used items and quality memorabilia.

DonFan23,

Nice stuff! Must have been really cool to see the Man and his collection in person. Halper was such a generous man he opened his collection up to others to enjoy.

Thanks for sharing the photos especially the Mantle hemmoriod glove. Do I detect stains in the finger. This is as strange as it gets. Wonder who has the glove now?

-David

Don,
    That must have been very cool. I would have killed to hold that Lou Gehrig Columbia University jersey. Does anyone know where it is now and did it go up for sale back in 1999 and if so how much did it go for.

hi donfan23,

what a treat to see the halper collection. thanks for sharing.

kinda wish bill gates or william buffet was a baseball buff and would buy the entire collection and just create a museum based on halper's collection.

i thought the glove was inside the desk?

Quote Originally Posted by DonFan23 View Post
    David/Joel,

Funny that you bring up that story. I was fortunate enough to meet Barry and have a private tour of his collection in the fall of '95. As one could imagine, the words breathtaking and awe-inspiring can hardly do it justice.

It took some time to get the meeting organized, and it was postponed once due to the death of the Mick. But I did get a look at a key item that never made it to the Sotheby's sale.

Sorry about the quality, but see the scans of my original prints below.
    Then again, maybe that's a good thing...
    1. DiMag's SF Seals jersey
    2. Gehrig Columbia University jersey
    3. Barry and me in front of the infamous dry cleaner's rack with Don Mattingly's Columbus Clippers jersey
    4. The Mick's #7 and rookie #6 Yankees jerseys
    5. No explanation necessary - but here goes anyway. It's the glove, along with the FedEx slip and a note from the doctor who forwarded the glove to Barry at the request of Mantle. The glove reads" Barry, This is the glove from my HEMMORID (sp.) exam. Mickey Mantle."

Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

I bought a handfull of lower end items from the Halper auction. Sinatra auto baseball, Mantle auto Sporting News from the week I was born, 87 mets auto ball, 2 93 marlins auto balls, 2 G Bush Sr auto balls, a couple of dozen canseco signed baseballs....Did anyone else get anything?

If you dont know anything about Halper, you dont know anything about collecting. He was the man and I doubt anyone will ever take his place as far as one man's collection goes.

This is from the Sotheby's auction Catalog.

Pete Rose's game used jersey worn when he broke Ty Cobb's all time hit record.

Enjoy!
    David
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by mdube16 View Post
    I bought a handfull of lower end items from the Halper auction. Sinatra auto baseball, Mantle auto Sporting News from the week I was born, 87 mets auto ball, 2 93 marlins auto balls, 2 G Bush Sr auto balls, a couple of dozen canseco signed baseballs....Did anyone else get anything?
    Interesting story regarding lower end items. Halper's brick from the old Comiskey park (with Speedway Wrecking plate) went for an outrageous amount. I think it was $450 - $600 dollars. (I don't remember the precise price)

I had the same brick and I sold mine to another forum member last year for about $45.

David

The Halper Collection was indeed phenomenal and he truly was one of the hobby's legends and an all around good guy. For those who don't know how he made his money, he was President of a paper company (Halper Brothers) that was started by his father, I believe. Living close by to where Barry was from in NJ, I've seen their trucks before. He did very well for himself and had the great foresight to establish many contacts and make many lasting friendships with the legends of the game.

Tim

I see that no one has brought this up. So, I thought I would. Barry Halper has a DVD that is awesome. Its on Amazon and its called, "The Ultimate Baseball Collector's Collection". Check it out...it truly is awesome!!! It makes you sick looking at all of his GU collectibles. My favorite is when he trades Mattingly a GU Gehrig bat for one of Donnie's. Wow!!! And, me being such a Donnie Baseball fan...that bat that he gives Barry is absolutely hammered. Again, check out the DVD...you'll be happy you did.

Mike