Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Hybrid View

Re: Pujols and Rolen Greed?

Quote Originally Posted by sammy View Post
    I personally don't care anything about any of these modern whiners.

Not a single one is worth anything near what they receive.

All of the best ball players are dead, or retired more then 30+ years ago.

I am not so sure we can make a blanket statement like that for every player out there. For everything I have seen throughout their hof careers, both gentlemen recently elected the baseball hof, Cal Ripken and Tony Gwynn don't fit the mold described above. While rare, other current and or recently retired stars have not all proven to be jerks during and or after their careers. Just my two cents.
    Brett Herman

brettherman2131@hotmail.com

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

I have nothing but Praise for Certain Guys, Tony Gwynn is, & always will be my Favorite. Smart, Funny, & approachable. A True Gentleman, with a GOOD Attitude.
    I have friends that regularly get on the Field for Padres Games, & I hear Stories weekly, during the Season, about BAD Attitudes. I doubt some of these guys have ever Washed their own vehicle, or taken out the Garbage...
    You can have the 5000.00$ Gamers, from the "hype" Guys, I`ll pass, Thank you...
    Sean

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 10thMan View Post
    I have nothing but Praise for Certain Guys, Tony Gwynn is, & always will be my Favorite. Smart, Funny, & approachable. A True Gentleman, with a GOOD Attitude.
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thMan View Post
    I have friends that regularly get on the Field for Padres Games, & I hear Stories weekly, during the Season, about BAD Attitudes. I doubt some of these guys have ever Washed their own vehicle, or taken out the Garbage...
    You can have the 5000.00$ Gamers, from the "hype" Guys, I`ll pass, Thank you...
    Sean

Sean-
    I've always enjoyed watching Gwynn on and off the field, too. He always appeared to be enjoying himself, and is simply pure class. As such, I attended the New York Sports Writers Baseball Awards Dinner last Sunday evening. Both Ripken and Gwynn attended, and I almost could not believe how Gwynn has let himself turn into the Marshmallow Man. He must weigh 400+ pounds and looks nothing like he did during his final playing days in 2001. He looks just about the same as Orson Wells during his final years. If you happen to run into Gwynn on the field in 2007, I suggest you tell him to lay off the stadium hot dogs and nachos, and maybe focus on the Sushi, instead. WHEW!!!!!

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hblakewolf View Post

Sean-
    I've always enjoyed watching Gwynn on and off the field, too. He always appeared to be enjoying himself, and is simply pure class. As such, I attended the New York Sports Writers Baseball Awards Dinner last Sunday evening. Both Ripken and Gwynn attended, and I almost could not believe how Gwynn has let himself turn into the Marshmallow Man. He must weigh 400+ pounds and looks nothing like he did during his final playing days in 2001. He looks just about the same as Orson Wells during his final years. If you happen to run into Gwynn on the field in 2007, I suggest you tell him to lay off the stadium hot dogs and nachos, and maybe focus on the Sushi, instead. WHEW!!!!!

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Current Tony Gwynn........
    var g_JS_isWin = true;var g_JS_isIE = true;var g_UserLoggedIn = false;s.events="prodView";s.products="editorial_na ;72965358";s.prop10="unregistered";s.eVar10="unreg istered";var g_DownloadStartPage = "/source/download/DownloadStart.aspx?ImageIDs=%1&sl=%2";var g_DownloadMaxImagesSelected = "Note: You may download a maximum of 30 images at a time, but have selected {1}.";var g_DownloadNoImagesSelected = "err_no_images_selected";var MAX_IMAGES = 30; // IE 5+ and DOM compatible if (document.all && window.print) { document.oncontextmenu = function() { if (event.srcElement.id.indexOf('ucDownloadLink_lnkDo wnload') >= 0) return false; } }s.pageName="MS_GINS_details_Pop_aspx";s.prop1="en-us";s.eVar1="en-us";s.charSet="utf-8";var s_code = s.t();if(s_code)document.write(s_code);if(navigato r.appVersion.indexOf('MSIE')>=0)document.write(une scape('%3C')+'\!-'+'-');
    var g_JS_isWin = true;var g_JS_isIE = true;var g_UserLoggedIn = false;s.events="prodView";s.products="editorial_na ;72965358";s.prop10="unregistered";s.eVar10="unreg istered";var g_DownloadStartPage = "/source/download/DownloadStart.aspx?ImageIDs=%1&sl=%2";var g_DownloadMaxImagesSelected = "Note: You may download a maximum of 30 images at a time, but have selected {1}.";var g_DownloadNoImagesSelected = "err_no_images_selected";var MAX_IMAGES = 30; // IE 5+ and DOM compatible if (document.all && window.print) { document.oncontextmenu = function() { if (event.srcElement.id.indexOf('ucDownloadLink_lnkDo wnload') >= 0) return false; } } Close window 2007 Baseball HallElectionAnnouncementCaption:
    NEW YORK - JANUARY 10: Cal Ripken Jr. (L) and Tony Gwynn are introduced as the 2007 Hall of Fame Electees at a press conference at the Waldorf Astoria on January 10, 2007 in New York City. (Photo by Chris Trotman/Getty Images) s.pageName="MS_GINS_details_Pop_aspx";s.prop1="en-us";s.eVar1="en-us";s.charSet="utf-8";var s_code = s.t();if(s_code)document.write(s_code);if(navigato r.appVersion.indexOf('MSIE')>=0)document.write(une scape('%3C')+'\!-'+'-'); var g_JS_isWin = true;var g_JS_isIE = true;var g_UserLoggedIn = false;s.events="prodView";s.products="editorial_na ;72965358";s.prop10="unregistered";s.eVar10="unreg istered";var g_DownloadStartPage = "/source/download/DownloadStart.aspx?ImageIDs=%1&sl=%2";var g_DownloadMaxImagesSelected = "Note: You may download a maximum of 30 images at a time, but have selected {1}.";var g_DownloadNoImagesSelected = "err_no_images_selected";var MAX_IMAGES = 30; // IE 5+ and DOM compatible if (document.all && window.print) { document.oncontextmenu = function() { if (event.srcElement.id.indexOf('ucDownloadLink_lnkDo wnload') >= 0) return false; } } s.pageName="MS_GINS_details_Pop_aspx";s.prop1="en-us";s.eVar1="en-us";s.charSet="utf-8";var s_code = s.t();if(s_code)document.write(s_code);if(navigato r.appVersion.indexOf('MSIE')>=0)document.write(une scape('%3C')+'\!-'+'-');

In this regard, I've been wondering about a lot of those collectors who try to put together signed sets, such as Gold Plaques...Can you imagine what it will be like when they have to shell out for Pujols, Manny, Randy Johnson, Clemens, etc etc. I'm sure glad I don't do those!

Just going by the current warped payscales, what will those guys command in ten years? If they even bother, that is...Or will it collapse under its own weight as more collectors are priced out?

I could pretty much care less about Tri-Star and the like (they're another part of this worsening problem), but I do feel for the average collector, who are the ones truly being hurt by this madness...

I have watched and collected the Cardinals for years and have had several meeting with both Pujols and Rolen. This includes spring training, ballparks, stl winter warm up, ect. Rolen has always been very nice, almost always signing when I have asked (only game used item was a bat at the WWU and he signed it but would not inscribe, simply said, "Id rather not". In fact on baseballs I have always asked for sweet spot or under the Allstar logo, ect and he has always said no problem.

As far as Pujols. He is somewhat of a jerk. He is not friendly, hardly ever. He hates to sign and will usually give a sorry autograph if you do get him to sign at the park. At the WWU he puts a good autograph, but is not friendly to the fans. I have got him to sign 2 times at the ballpark over the last few years. In fact he and I were nearly the only ones in the Renaissance Vinoy lobby in St Pete, FL and he would not even snap a picture with me. I am a Pujols fan, but he is just not a friendly guy. He may very well be friendly at one of his charity functions where you are paying literally thousands of dollars to attend and bidding thousands on stuff there.

Jason
    ripken8@bellsouth.net

Banned

Interesting Article! Having lived in Houston most of my life, I have grown up alongside Tri-Star. I have a lot of respect for the company. I actually attended their very first card show/signing in 1987 with Mark McGwire in a small hotel off of I-10 in Houston (I think the hotel is gone now). Still have the signed baseball too! Anyway, Tri-Star does a great job of pooling athletes together and presenting a well organized and usually star-studded line-up.

I caught wind of the 2005 Astros deal after the 2005 World Series. One of their directors that I work with told me about the situation after I asked how the heck they arranged for guys like Ezequial Astacio and Orlando Palmeiro to hang around Houston for the 26 man signing. He told me about what Biggio, Bagwell, and Clemens did. I was not only impressed by the typical Astros alliance that is so under appreciated, but also on Tri-Star's part in facilitating the deal and pulling it off in a timely fashion. The tea signed items were a success. I thought their price for a signed World Series ball was fair at $1250 (I believe that was their "sale" price), but I opted since one of my contacts arranged for me to get 2 MLB authenticated balls signed by 37 players and coaches.

As for Pujols and Rolen, I have never met either of them. I only go by what I hear and see. I did witness Pujols brush off some kids outside of the Galleria on a Friday afternoon on the way to the park. That is a personal choice. If Tri-Star couldn't make the deal work, I know they tried hard and it just didn't work. Based on whay I know, they liking went very high on the $$ side. They did a private signing a few years ago with Pujols that did very well for them. Another note - I have also had the chance to get some game used Pujols items from Astros visiting clubhouse people, and Pujols refused to sign them. I guess I have never understood why a player won't sign certain items or in a cetain place. I asked Eddie Murray in Spring Training a few years ago why he wouldn't sign my baseball on the sweetspot and he said "it would be worth more." Huh? I guess that is why I paid $99 at this past National in Anaheim, CA to get it on the SS. Anyway, everyone gets the chance to make personal choices. I am all over the place here, my point is that we are at the mercy of these guys to make choices when it comes to handling us as fans.

I had the chance to meet Tony Gwynn and Cal Ripken this weekend at the MAB show in Baltimore, MD. Both guys were incredibly cordial! Most people were distraught by how long Cal was taking, but once inside you realized he signed 15 to 20 autographs, then took photos with everyone in front of his Iron Clad Authentics logo background. Kind of cheesy, but nice since they would use your camera. Cal was incredibly nice and studied my Hall of Fame bat and named everyone on it. The guy in front of me had a replica jersey and had no idea of where to have him sign it. Cal made a recommendation and made sure it was flawless. Gwynn was no different! Tony asked me about some of the autographs on the bat and was interested that I came all the way from Houston for the show. He thanked me for coming and offered a picture with him over the table. Both autographs cost a little change ($265 for Ripken and $150 for Gwynn on the bat), but worth it!

You can tell the hobby is doing fine when Cal and Tony signed both Saturday and Sunday for hours and the line never seemed to die down. Prices are high, but as long as people are willing to pay the prices, they will keep going up!

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by hblakewolf View Post
    ... I almost could not believe how Gwynn has let himself turn into the Marshmallow Man. He must weigh 400+ pounds and looks nothing like he did during his final playing days in 2001. He looks just about the same as Orson Wells during his final years. If you happen to run into Gwynn on the field in 2007, I suggest you tell him to lay off the stadium hot dogs and nachos, and maybe focus on the Sushi, instead. WHEW!!!!!
    Here is a photo of Tony Gwynn from the pre-trans-fat era...