Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
George - Hope your vacation was great! You are playing with statistical probability when you are betting on a back door jersey as you describe it. Yours could be real, but it is statistical "Russian roulette". Here's 2 more Jeter's without Steiner provenance on top of the other 6 we identified on the market place in the last 2 months. No way there can be that many "back door" real ones.

With the current list from ASI:

Game Used Jerseys - Baseball
Alex Rodriguez 2004 Home - $7500
Hideki Matsui 2005 Home - $5000
Derek Jeter 2005 Home - $5000
Derek Jeter 2006 Home - $5000
Robinson Cano 2005 Home - Lampson - $4000
Gary Sheffield 2004 Home - $3000

As Howard points out, they all have the right tagging, fonts, wear, wash tags, etc. so the only difference is the Provenance.

Everyone is able to make their own informed decisions and come up with their own opinions.

I won't purchase non-Steiner Yankees jerseys on current players and that is my decision.

Andrew
Andrew,
I agree, it all boils down to what you want to spend for that Provenance. My point is simply that in my opinion Steiner is not a slam dunk as far as what you are getting, I have seen too many botch ups as far as gamers, issued, replica's etc. involving Steiner. As for the numbers, they only do not add up if we all "assume" that everything Steiner offers is what they say it is! From what I have seen it is not ie; (Replica Giambi they offer as Gamer) But I do agree with you the odds are in your favor with a Steiner item, there is a lot of garbage out there. I still however have to support all the long time Yankees collectors who have great and legit non-Steiner items being crucified every time they offer one of there items. With this humble and personal opinion, I officially end my Steiner issues (Hopefully ) I just think that being the "exclusive Yankees provider" they can and should do a much better job with product knowledge, with their prices they owe it to their customers. Andrew, I know you and I have gone back and forth on this issue (nothing personal) I think we both have valid points! Bottom line, do your homework no matter who's signing the paperwork.
George