Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Hybrid View

Banned

Lightbulb Re: primer on Wilson tagging - 60s to 90s

Most (not all) I've seen on Wilson NFL jerseys is in line with the same era's MLB gamers. The one exception is the Prestige Tag that first saw use in MLB uniforms in 1986. I haven't seen that tag on any NFL gamers prior to 1990-91. A small paper tag slightly similar to the ones used in 1987-91 Blue Jays jersey was the norm for the late 1980s in the NFL.

Dave Miedema

Re: primer on Wilson tagging - 60s to 90s

OK. Thanks!

Anyone encountered this tag (on an NFL jersey or otherwise)? I believe it's circa 1988.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

BrianK

I have never seen that particular type of Wilson tag until one popped up on eBay and another in a recent MEARS Auction. There as another thread somewhere that may have addressed that specific tag but I cannot recall what the outcome was.

The issue with this tag is that the 49ers wore Russell through the 1989 season and switched to Wilson in 1990. One possibility would be that the team wanted to evaluate the Wilson jersey during the 1989 season and thus had a handful of the shirts for use. If you scroll back in this thread though, the 1988-89 Wilson tagging is not consistent with the image you provided.

I have seen a number of Russell 49er gamers that were worn during the late 80s that were used in the early 90s. This was common with DL and OL gamers as the players did not want to give up their Russell shirts. I have several examples of Russell 49er gamers with the NFL shield sewn on, which would indicate a 1988 or 1989 jersey being used in 1991.

As for theparticular Wilson tag you posted, if anyone else can chime in that would be great.

Always buying 49er game worn jerseys and paying a finders fee.
    Paul
    garciajones@yahoo.com

This style of tag must be pretty scarce.... I also noticed the incorrect punctuation in the phrase: Brand of the Pro's
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Quote Originally Posted by commando View Post
    This style of tag must be pretty scarce.... I also noticed the incorrect punctuation in the phrase: Brand of the Pro's
    Anthony,

Like you, I also thought this use of an apostrophe was incorrect. However, when "Pro" is used as an abbreviation for "Professional", a use of an apostrophe to show the plural version of "Pro's" is correct. Believe me, the butchering of the apostrophe by our fellow forum members has inspired hours of research.

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post
    Anthony,

Like you, I also thought this use of an apostrophe was incorrect. However, when "Pro" is used as an abbreviation for "Professional", a use of an apostrophe to show the plural version of "Pro's" is correct. Believe me, the butchering of the apostrophe by our fellow forum members has inspired hours of research.
    Gotcha. I was on the fence whether or not this may be correct... Thanks for the facts!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Banned
    The Wilson tag I just posted is a design used in 1998 and 1999 gamers that utilized tail tagging, basically limited to Braves home gamers and all 3 White Sox styles (the Chisox ordered unis from both Wilson and Russell those 2 seasons).

Dave Miedema

Banned