Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Hybrid View

Re: Memorabilia Gallery: Your favorite item

That is a very good bu extremely difficult question. It's almost like asking me which child I love most. I would say it's my ball knob Piper bat. I have always loved mushrooms and didn't think I would ever find one. My first was a Pennant brand from an antique shop, the second was a Spalding from Ebay, then a D&M and the Piper from a close friend and fellow collector (thanks Don). I wouldn't want to part with any of them.

Next is my Trophy brand radio baseball. For eye appeal they are tough to beat. They really speek to the value placed on baseball back in the day.

After that I would say my 53 Bowman Pee Wee Reese because it is a true work of art that took me years to acquire when I was younger.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Re: Memorabilia Gallery: Your favorite item

Wow, the items in my collection range from the 1840s to 2005, so this is tough. I guess my favorite items would be the 19th century items (although my 1934 Yankees signed ball and 1933 World Series Senator signed ball with Walter Johnson are up there). My choices include:

1. c1840s-1850s townball bat. This bat is flat sided and as I have found out from the recent Smithosian baseball book, made from an axe handle.

2. Belt baseball, likely used to play townball. This ball is pretty small but in awesome condition.

4. Leslies Illustrated. 1865 Woodcut with memorial to Jim Creighton. I'm sure this is the only way I would ever be able to obtain Creighton memorabilia and it wasn't easy.

3. Montpelier, VT cabinets. I picked up the cabinet of the ball player a couple of years ago for $19.00. About a year later, the cabinet of a team from Montpelier, VT was on ebay. The cabinets are from the same photography studio and some have looked at the individual player and said he was in the team photo (i'm not so sure).

Rob L
    Attached Images Attached Images