Fellow forum member mvandor mentioned in another thread that he had a "LT throwback game issue from 2005."

I asked where he got it from and he said ebay seller lambeauleeper. I have noticed that lambeauleeper often sells high profile game issued items. He currently is selling

Dan Marino 1990 "GAME ISSUED USED WORN" helmet
with this description

A GAME ISSUE or USED helmet is much harder to obtain than a GAME ISSUE or USED jersey. A Dan Marino (16+ years old) helmet is IMPOSSIBLE to obtain! This helmet was issued to Dan Marino for on-field GAME USE during the 1990 season. Since I have no documentation stating Dan Marino actually wore this helmet I am selling it as "GAME ISSUED". Exclusive features found on this Dan Marino GAME HELMET include Riddell WD-1 custom large helmet, proper mil. (thickness) decaling, single aqua/orange center stripping, NFL shield decal, DOLPHINS 25th silver Anniversary decal, clear warning decal, proper front red Riddell, 1990 facemask clips, Dan Marino's vintage custom aqua Schutt facemask, correct Riddell 4-point chinstrap, etc. VERY RARE offering from this HALL-OF-FAME Quarterback!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=140115233762

He also is selling and has sold

Reggie White 1996 S.B. "GAME ISSUED USED WORN" helmet

Brett Favre 1996 S.B. "GAME ISSUED USED WORN" helmet

Tom Brady 2003 "GAME ISSUED USED" Jersey

Brett Favre 2002 "GAME ISSUED USED" Auto'd Jersey

I wrote the seller today and asked him

"Do you get all of your "issued" pieces from the teams? Or are they replicas made to the exact specs to the real ones that you are selling as issued?
I know people who are interested in your Favre and Marino helmet and were wondering the same thing
Eric"

He wrote:

"Through trades and purchases. I am not sure of the history of these pieces."

Then I wrote:

"So how can you call them team issued of you don't know? Did the Tomlinson throwback helmet you sold come from the Chargers?
Thanks
Eric"

He wrote:

I don't know

I then wrote:
So, you're selling these pieces as "game issued" and you have no idea if
they came from the teams, right?

He wrote:

They have the EXACT specs and dates of GAME WORN items from that player. I have seen items no where near the authenticity of these items soldon EBAY.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems like the seller might be exaggerating his claims here. "Game Issued" suggests it was made by the team for the purpose of play. From talking to the seller, it sounds more like he's taking liberties.

Many times if collectors cannot afford a game used item, the next best thing, and a more affordable option is to buy an issued item which is game ready. It's really the next step down to have something that might be from the team, and might be manufactured by someone with a shell and a bunch of decals.

Buyers should be careful when seeing this kind of terminology in listings. It doesn't necessarily mean what you think it means. Sellers should accurately describe what they're selling.

I'd be interested in people's thoughts
Eric