Quote Originally Posted by Nnunnari View Post
Good points Bryzzo regarding collectors. Obviously, all collectors aren't lazy, their time is more valuable than money and would rather spend a premium for a slam dunk of an item instead of immerse themselves into the hobby like most of us do, which is perfectly fine. If I want to buy a Rolex, I'll pay more going to a guy I know is the guy to get Rolexes from instead of spending weeks scouring online for the best deal.
The point about casual bidders makes sense around the more well-publicized auctions (like AS, WS, WBC). I can understand that they have tons of eyes on those games and the promotion for those auctions, increases interest and bidding.

I understand the casual well-heeled collector theory, even though I feel those people aren't true "collectors," they're just luxury item consumers. Although, I still think collecting game worn laundry is less accessible than buying Rolexes, etc . . .

At some point those people need to change their office decor, where do the items go? A decent Rolex is a very easy thing to sell, a game worn jersey that you seriously overpaid for, not so much. Maybe we haven't hit that point yet, where those buyers start going "is it still cool to have this Stephen Drew 2013 World Series jersey that I paid 5K for hanging on my wall?"