I’m disturbed by the absolute obsession a great number of people have with COAs. It seems that when I do sell some of my collection, whether it be a bat, jersey, or autographed baseball, I’m inundated with requests for a COA. It’s not just asking whether the item comes with a team COA but just anything I could pass off as a COA.

I see so many sellers on eBay stating that items come with their “personal COA.” Maybe this increases sales, but I can’t fathom creating my own COA and including it with an item. I don’t know about you, but I wouldn’t want to display an item with a COA from “baseballdog007.” Maybe I should just tell them to print out my auction description and write COA on the top.

I keep all the COAs I receive with various items; not because it makes me feel better about the item, but because if I ever have to sell the item, I know it would help me sell it to a lot of people.

I just don’t understand it. The attitude of these people almost invites fakes because they refuse to look beyond the piece of paper. If someone won’t buy legit items without a COA, then why do they deserve a legit item with a COA? Of course I’m not encouraging fraud, but these suckers almost ask for it but putting so much faith in the paper.