Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Hybrid View

Re: The obsession with COAs

I'm sure we'd all agree that COAs are generally worthless. However, you're right about the infatuation people have with them. On another forum, someone recently asked about the safety of buying autographs on eBay. One sage member immediately replied that no one should ever purchase an autograph without a COA. It's people like that that keep people like Angelo Marino in business.

That said, I'm seriously considering making up my own 110%/Hugh Trampson COA the next time I sell something on eBay just to see what happens.
    "The knowledge that this guy has in his head, some of you would never be able to comprehend."

The ransom letter font is great. I wonder if someone would frame that with their autograph

ha ha

I think it can work in favor of a buyer. With some people only buying stuff with a team letter/well respected dealer ect. It leaves open nice bargains on stuff a collector/small dealer is selling on his own. I mainly collect common type player's game used stuff. I still check images, tagging and make sure everything is correct for the jersey... ect. Can pick up some nice stuff that way cheap. I don't think people are buying authentic jerseys, making the correct tags/or removing them and putting them on from other gamers/game issued to lose money on selling a common player's game used jersey. I feel more comfortable buying these types. Not having a COA on these doesn't bother me, as long as everything is correct with the item. But if I were to send big $$$ on a HOF type deal. I would look to buy one with as much paperwork/photos with it. That is why you see the NFL/MLB type auctions on gamers go for so much.
    I think some COA that are done right are the best thing for the hobby. I own a few NHL game used jerseys and a helmet from Meigray. With there serial # tagging, LOA and the population report on there website showing the jersey serial # ect is about as well done as it gets. I have no question these are the real deal. I even have a Getty photo match from them on one jersey showing a match up on a rip in the jersey. Showing the date the photo was taken and where. They also keep track of when each set was used. Makes it real easy to look up pictures and info of what your player did in your jersey. I also own a couple things from Ballpark Heroes. I like that they put a few pictures of the item in the letter and sign it.

Anyone who is willing to fake an autograph or game used item will have no problem faking a COA. When issued by Jo Blow they really are useless and people don't realize the can print one up just as easy and it will mean the same thing. They will eventually push many people out of the hobby who are not a big reputable company. You can get somehing signed yourself inperson and it means more to get Psa/gai who did not see it signed say it was real. On the other hand if you see something signed by Tom Brady not TRistar you can almost guarantee its fake. So helpful in some cases.